The MLS 2017 Uniform (Re)Design project - All teams complete

hendocfc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Start spreading the news... I'm back today... New York... New York...

OK,I'm going to let you cringe freely for a few seconds,and now we move on to the New Yorkers. First up the blue part of New York,the one that actually is there. So... NYCFC. The shirt itself has a gradient from a sky blue shirt to white shorts; the gradient is made up of five blocks representing NY's five boroughs. The back of the shirt is solid blue. 

White shorts and navy blue socks complete the ensemble; I originally used orange socks but I found out that I couldn't place orange anywhere on the kit without making it look like someone let their 5-year-old and some crayons free in Adidas' design offices. So I,naturally,switched it to navy blue. Why navy blue you ask? Because... erm... I don't have a reason,I just thought it looked good. I'm open to suggestions. The left sleeve cuff features a graphic with the abbreviations of the 5 boroughs,taken from their neck tape contest thing. The back neck features the "This City Never Sleeps" sign-off from this year's change top.

HnPqbO6.png

So we move on to the red part of NYC. Or should I say New Jersey? Anyway,the New York Red Bulls... the shirt itself features a PSG/Ajax Amsterdam-ish look; a broad central red stripe bordered in gold. I know some of you are going to say it looks like the Philadelphia Union... let's say I didn't take that into consideration. The stripe was originally thinner,to the right and housed the Red Bull logo; however,I thought Red Bull themselves wouldn't want people to risk snapping their necks in order to figure out what that logo was; see,they need customers! Anyway,not much else to comment here,red shorts and white socks completing the kit and the back features the "New York Red Bulls" wordmark. Yes,there intentionally is no crest on the shorts.  

TmhTrAX.png

Next up: Philadelphia Union... hopefully without a Bruce Springsteen reference.

Nicely done again! I'd prefer to see more white trim on the NYCFC home (seems to be their thing to separate from SKC), and I'm not sure how I feel about the navy socks. But the color block effect is really clever and nice.

I'm less into the Red Bulls kit, mostly because I think the vertical stripe simply won't fly with Philly being a close-ish rival. But adding a touch of gold in there is nice, and overall I like my NYRB shirts to have plenty of red, so that's good. I'm not worried about the "New York" text, they always have it and it's their name and that argument is tired.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

So here we go; the series is back with the Philadelphia Union.

The shirt is meant to be a "dynamic,sleek interpretation of the traditional stripe going all the way down to the socks". To speak in actual human language,the shirt is a shameless rip off the Bayern Munchen European kit from 2014. We have a white shirt,light blue shorts,and white socks. They all feature a thin stripe to their right in home navy blue,which also colours the adidas stripes. Branding and player numerals are in secondary gold,while there's light blue detailing throughout. Not the most inspired kit it could be,but well I ran out of ideas. No additional team-specific details on the shirt this time... so... 

7m3M6Fc.png

Up next: One of the youngest teams in the league... with a throwback concept. Orlando City it is,and yes that was a teaser.

I like it! White shirt + light blue shorts is a combo I've liked since a Man City third in 2006(?) that I always used when playing FIFA. The vertical stripe keeps it interesting and makes sense for Philly. My only curiosity is I wonder how it'd look if you swapped the gold and navy on the side stripes and the numbers.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 2 weeks later...

So... another break,yet this time unintentional... and back we are with La Viola of the MLS. Orlando City it is... purple shirt,shorts and socks,with gold shoulder panels on the shirt trimmed in white,and white trim in general. The pattern on the front is another adidas fauxback... OK no more commentary,back neck sign off is the "This is Orlando" line... 

gFjVZFG.png

Up next: Portland Timbers and Real Salt Lake in a dual post. You might have noticed that I've changed the order of the teams,they'll be randomised from now on since we're getting closer to the end of the series,I actually have all teams done anyway.

Whilst I hate EVERYTHING about the Philadelphia Union and City of Orlando SC (because there's no such thing as "Orlando City") but I won't hold that against the designs. 

Philadelphia: The uniform really suites the Union, I suggest putting gold in the middle of the stripe on the jersey, shorts, socks.

Orlando: They're fine but I'd personally make the adidas stripes gold or creame (whatever color they use) and the color surrounding it purple instead of white (it's pretty hard see to the stripes ). Also I feel the socks are a little too bland. Otherwise they're fine.

1 hour ago, New York's Greatest said:

Whilst I hate EVERYTHING about the Philadelphia Union and City of Orlando SC (because there's no such thing as "Orlando City") but I won't hold that against the designs. 

Philadelphia: The uniform really suites the Union, I suggest putting gold in the middle of the stripe on the jersey, shorts, socks.

Orlando: They're fine but I'd personally make the adidas stripes gold or creame (whatever color they use) and the color surrounding it purple instead of white (it's pretty hard see to the stripes ). Also I feel the socks are a little too bland. Otherwise they're fine.

It's more a mix between gold, cream, and beige. 

oc gold.png

I think they should go with more a brassier gold (maybe even a Spanish orange) but I think it works well with the purple. I'm also going to pretend that you didn't say anything else about the club, so we're good for now*. 

*Why is it that we always end up in rivalries? Our two WHL teams met in the Global Cup, our two MLS teams were expansion buddies, and there's probably more that I'm forgetting.

ExJworW.png

19 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

It's more a mix between gold, cream, and beige. 

oc gold.png

I think they should go with more a brassier gold (maybe even a Spanish orange) but I think it works well with the purple. I'm also going to pretend that you didn't say anything else about the club, so we're good for now*. 

*Why is it that we always end up in rivalries? Our two WHL teams met in the Global Cup, our two MLS teams were expansion buddies, and there's probably more that I'm forgetting.

Ah that makes things clearer. Also yeah I noticed that too. It's very strange. 

Btw, @hendocfc NYCFC looks gorgeous! They only change I would make is making the Adidas stripes orange or white on the jersey, for the shorts, the Dark Blue/Navy/*insert another dark shade of blue here* blue Adidas stripe works, but I personally would put orange. As for the socks...White is perfect for the stripes.

Also as for the Pink Cows...er...I...uh mean Red Bulls, I agree with @Paul Lucas the "New York" from the Red Bulls ;). As for an unbiased view, lets get crazy! How about making the jersey have stripes like the Old Metrostars (RIP) but instead of Black and Red, how about Red and white( maybe with a yellow trim as well) and make the stripes go diagonal instead of vertical. 

On 12/28/2016 at 3:09 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

Just stop now.

IMG_1055.JPG

In regards to the content, I have to say you have impressed me. Can't wait for SKC!

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Putting this officially on hiatus - it already was - since I cannot find time or motivation to finish the series these days. I have the kits ready,I just need to add team logos to each,but I can't get myself to do it. Will finish it when I can be arsed about it. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK so here are the rest all together,since they were ready anyway; won't be explaining each design in order not to make this a really long post.

Portland Timbers - primary

VpiawI8.png

San Jose Earthquakes - primary

z8sH9iq.png

Sporting Kansas City - primary

LfKLPiT.png

Seattle Sounders - secondary

eKEtoKd.png

Toronto FC - primary

H5eNBIM.png

Vancouver Whitecaps - primary

qx8WGiB.png

Real Salt Lake - secondary

xnVGwmG.png

Lots of detailing missing on the kits,I know. But I just wanted to get these done and over with.

So now I'm thinking of doing the same,but for '18... since other people have already started doing it. 

Archived