NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/8/2017 at 1:05 PM, upperV03 said:

From that 2K video, a couple of screenshots showing the Knicks' and Celtics' updated shorts designs:

IMG_6779.thumb.PNG.26471661db828a6be00e052bccdecac4.PNG

IMG_6777.thumb.PNG.7a856ac59ada26589c7b8c8f17755310.PNG

This is the first official picture I've seen from the Celtics. Goofy shorts and missing armpit stripes as expected.

DG-17_1UIAAJsFz.jpg

I actually liked the subtle rays in the Suns previous wordmark, much more than the bevel. ??

The previous look had more unique features while the new one is pretty generic. Colors look good though. Ultimately it's subjective but I prefer the previous. New one will hopefully grow on me though.

4 hours ago, Wally1912 said:

This is the first official picture I've seen from the Celtics. Goofy shorts and missing armpit stripes as expected.

DG-17_1UIAAJsFz.jpg

I don't care about the shorts trim being a little odd, but the logo clutter is too much. Not enough visual space for two swooshes, a sponsor patch, and NBA patch and a belt buckle.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 minutes ago, Digby said:

I don't care about the shorts trim being a little odd, but the logo clutter is too much. Not enough visual space for two swooshes, a sponsor patch, and NBA patch and a belt buckle.

I'd rather see the colors swapped, the GE patch would be less obtrusive, but that guess that would defeat the purpose of an ad, to be obtrusive and noticeable.

I feel the same way on the Warriors jerseys, they looked better blending into the background with reversed colors in the 80s and 90s.  Now it looks like a pasted on crest/patch/badge/medallion.

I still find it appalling that the league was so profitable they were forced to suddenly expand the salary cap, leading Durant and the Warriors to ruin all competition.  Yet they still feel the need to squeeze out a few more dollar, literally selling out the jersey space and looking like a minor league operation.

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I really don't understand why people are mourning the loss of the Suns' previous uniform set. IMO, it was the worst in the entire league. I can't decide which element looked ugliest together: the half-assed streaking lines across the front of the jersey, the sublimated streaking lines in the wordmarks, the butt stripe (I know the new uniforms have one as well, but it's actually integrated into the design), or the overly detailed suns/wings on the shorts that didn't match any other aspect of their identity. Some of these elements could have looked nice on their own in a different context, but together, they didn't work at all. Then there was the jumbled mess that was their color scheme. You can tell they scrambled to change the road uniform from black to purple at the last minute to appease angry fans, because purple didn't appear anywhere else in their whole identity.

Their new look isn't perfect, but at least there's visual consistency. It actually looks like there was a purpose to the design, instead of a design-by-committee mess that tried to please everyone at once.

Hopefully over the next few years, the Raptors, Wolves, Rockets, Thunder and Mavs will take a cue from the Suns and change their butt-ugly looks. Especially the Mavs, who have sorely needed a change for 16 years now.

Even though the last Suns set actually grew on me a bit I agree 100%.  There were just a bunch of elements to that set that didn't fit or flow well together.  Even though they kept the butt stripe, it fits much better into the new set.  I actually think the worst part of the last set was the logo on the shorts which didn't fit at all.  it was like they tried to mesh the Suns original logo with the firebird and IMO it failed miserably.

6 minutes ago, eibram said:

Random thought. How do you guys think the Finals patches work? Will they replace the swoosh or get rid of it altogether?

They'll make the Nike swoosh metallic gold, and replace the NBA logo on the back w/ the Finals patch. 

1 hour ago, keynote said:

They'll make the Nike swoosh metallic gold, and replace the NBA logo on the back w/ the Finals patch. 

Exactly, the patch has been on the back of the jerseys the past couple of years.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

DG9GE7yXYAERfVy.jpg:large

Knicks look suddenly better with the armhole trim reaching further down.

The Grizzlies' changes are a huge downgrade in removing the collar triangle with the logo and logo on the shorts. Almost nothing left in that set to validate keeping it anymore.

I also see the Hawks' got their collar switched to a generic V-neck. Never like custom collars replaced. A wave of that practice came with the switch to Adidas.

Not sure about the side-panel modification for the Magic, never was a fan of those robust side-panels anyway. Good that they didn't remove the shape completely and kept it on the shorts, though.

I guess, the biggest loser of this offseason uni-wise has been Indiana. Funny, since they were one of those, who had the least to lose.

13 hours ago, Digby said:

This. As I already said, there's no reason whatsoever to have the manufacturer logo twice on the game uniform.

6 hours ago, truepg said:

This. As I already said, there's no reason whatsoever to have the manufacturer logo twice on the game uniform.

Or even once.

Three MLB logos on the back of a player (cap, jersey, belt loop) is also overkill, and I like that logo!

23 hours ago, upperV03 said:

And a better look at the back of the jersey:

Absolutely no reason Nike couldn't have added trim to that section along the back so that it goes all the way around. Either get rid of the trim all the way around or make it connect all the way around. Only having the trim go party way serves no purpose other than to draw attention to Nike's template.

Archived