NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

grizz-icon-logo-bw.png?itok=w8LrGbxU

NimQDUUE_400x400.jpg

From the grizzlies website and twitter, hmmm.

They've been like that for a couple of years now. It first appeared as their Facebook profile picture in September of 2015. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PepMan33Conde said:

If this is how the back of every NIKE NBA jersey will look like, I will be very disappointed. Good on them for trying to be different, but this is too much. When I first saw these, I initially thought the jersey was not fully loading. Nope it's NIKE makin' radical moves.

fmCfoBp.png

I'd also like to share y'all other pics I snapped from the Sacramento Kings' official app.

That's so odd.  Why would Nike introduce a revolutionary (and potentially controversial) design element -- and *not* show it off during their official launch?  And, why would the Kings' official pics *also* fail to show it?  Who cares if the back looks odd -- why wouldn't Nike steer into the skid and market the heck out of the performance benefits of the Scapula Shaped motion shoulder seam (SSMSS) to the point that consumers buy into the hype and accept it? 

What a strange roll out. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Sixers look as good as they ever have. Jesus don't :censored: that up. Those are the process uniforms and shouldn't be touched until Embiid retires... or has career ending injury. 

You're right. They should definitely stay around until December.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, keynote said:

That's so odd.  Why would Nike introduce a revolutionary (and potentially controversial) design element -- and *not* show it off during their official launch?  And, why would the Kings' official pics *also* fail to show it?  Who cares if the back looks odd -- why wouldn't Nike steer into the skid and market the heck out of the performance benefits of the Scapula Shaped motion shoulder seam (SSMSS) to the point that consumers buy into the hype and accept it? 

What a strange roll out. 

Well to be fair the article that Nike put out with the NBA a few days ago did make mention of the changed shoulder and how that was a key area that athletes gave input on. 

They will probably touch more on it when they do the big reveal in fall. But Kings just wanted to jump the gun and show everyone first. Hope we see a lot more teams doing that. 

Although it is very early to judge, but so far, this move to Nike is..different. I assumed it was going to be a huge trend upwards, and it still may be...but at this point..it's just odd. 

We shall see, I also don't want teams to lose their identities with more uniforms. I know it's been the trend the last few years already.

11 hours ago, kutztown said:

Another Sixers teaser, although not much to it 

DFIIB8tXkAEX5_f?format=jpg&name=large

This looks like a jacket to me. The swoosh is on the chest and the NBA logo is on the right sleeve.

Could also be a folded jersey though. With the seam beeing part of the new backshoulder.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

23 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

This looks like a jacket to me. The swoosh is on the chest and the NBA logo is on the right sleeve.

Could also be a folded jersey though. With the seam beeing part of the new backshoulder.

It does look like a jacket, after looking at it more.  Definitely looks like a seam and a sleeve.  The Nike logo on the right chest would be similar to a jersey.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, DJT said:

Well to be fair the article that Nike put out with the NBA a few days ago did make mention of the changed shoulder and how that was a key area that athletes gave input on. 

They will probably touch more on it when they do the big reveal in fall. But Kings just wanted to jump the gun and show everyone first. Hope we see a lot more teams doing that. 

But that's my point.  Why mention it in the press release at all if they're not going to bother even showing a rendering or a sketch of it until later?  And why bother showing an official pic of a new uni in the press release if they're not going to have a full gallery showing off all of the new features?  And why not coordinate with the teams how to best roll this out to avoid having the Kings jump the gun (if they even view it that way)?  I can't imagine Nike wanted their SSMSS to be first revealed via awkward renderings on the Kings' app.

13 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Sixers, Bucks, Cavs, Clippers, Hawks, Nets, Nuggets, and Bullets were all pretty bad, though i suppose all acceptable except the Sixers.  

If the Sixers, Bucks, Hawks, Nuggets and Bullets/Wizards still had their 80's looks for that season, and Cavs+Nets in their 70's look, it would have been perfect. I'd take that look today with some rebrands for the Clippers, Thunder, Raptors, Grizzlies and scrap New Orleans and bring back the 90s Sonics. That's probably my ideal NBA.  I'd let the Kings get an update, but i actually really like those 90s Mitch Richmond Kings pre Webber brand.

Of your short list of teams, I feel as if the Cavs had the worst uniforms. Everyone else was pretty good. Now, if the Nets had adopted their 1997-2012 look a few years earlier, it'd be even better. I could see it meshing pretty well with the rest of the league at that time. I think Washington's uniforms were fine. They could've enlarged the "Bullets" nameplate just a tad and perhaps added a red border to the home jerseys.

12 hours ago, keynote said:

I'm concerned that Nike's new off-center notch on the shorts will throw off the "W" in the Wizards' short design.

wizardsshorts-580x386.jpg

Of course, if the Wizards go with their popular stars and stripes (or some other design) instead, that would render my concern moot.

I was thinking the same thing about the Bulls' shorts. Either Nike is gonna have a modified version of the shorts with a centered notch, or there are going to be some teams looking really strange.

1 hour ago, Satomiblood said:

Of your short list of teams, I feel as if the Cavs had the worst uniforms. Everyone else was pretty good. Now, if the Nets had adopted their 1997-2012 look a few years earlier, it'd be even better. I could see it meshing pretty well with the rest of the league at that time. I think Washington's uniforms were fine. They could've enlarged the "Bullets" nameplate just a tad and perhaps added a red border to the home jerseys.

It's cleaner without a red border.

KING2.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I preferred the Bullets' italicized #s from the Bernard King/Steve Colter era over the more conventional #s used in the "Gugliotta Era":

4e4d26cbcb55f_217254n.jpg

OTOH, the Bullets' wordmark is indeed cleaner without the border -- although they should've made the basketball red to give the wordmark more pop. 

Oddly enough, the Bullets' road unis still used a blue wordmark and #s with a white border.  That was annoyingly inconsistent. 

tom-gugliotta-card.jpg

But I agree that, in both instances, the word mark was too small. 

13 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It's cleaner without a red border.

KING2.jpg

That's thicker than I would've liked. It would've looked better if they thinned it out to match the numbering, maybe even incorporating some white space in between the lettering so it looks less like a red highlighter went over it. Other than that, I like the size of the nameplate. It looks bigger than its successor. Hopefully, that's not a byproduct of the thick red border.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:19 AM, Shadojoker said:

You definitely wasn't clear about it above. But since we are on the same page..im trying to figure out which Big3 team he might be talking about too! ??

The joke is that Carmello is so old and busted that he should be playing in the Big 3 league. 

Everyone loves a roundel.

Sorry if this belongs in Concepts but since we're speculating on what Nike will look like, this is from Brian Begley (Twitter: @iambrianbegley )

I'm not a fan of the continuous usage of orange/black but I think the throwback version is the best of this set.

2017-07-20_8-15-40.jpg

51 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

That's thicker than I would've liked. It would've looked better if they thinned it out to match the numbering, maybe even incorporating some white space in between the lettering so it looks less like a red highlighter went over it. Other than that, I like the size of the nameplate. It looks bigger than its successor. Hopefully, that's not a byproduct of the thick red border.

Think something like this, but with much tighter kerning. And yes, I do think the slanted number font they used during the Bernard King era works more consistently with the Bullets nameplate. Maybe adding a red basketball to the home version would also be better.

tumblr_lw7lax01fI1qgwh0lo1_500.jpg

5 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

Think something like this, but with much tighter kerning. And yes, I do think the slanted number font they used during the Bernard King era works more consistently with the Bullets nameplate. Maybe adding a red basketball to the home version would also be better.

tumblr_lw7lax01fI1qgwh0lo1_500.jpg

I actually love this.  And I miss them as the Bullets.

Archived