NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

20 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

I know we covered this at length a while back but here it is again: Rip City was a saying created by their long-time play-by-play announcer that the franchise and fans latched onto and which has remained core to the team and city's identity.

That's interesting. It's still not as authentic to the city as, say, the Motor City -- the announcer is a team employee (or an employee of the team's partner, anyway).  Does it make a difference if the announcer comes up with it instead of the marketing department coming up with it and feeding it to the broadcast team?

OTOH, the name has history, and the announcer sounds like he had a long, iconic run in the minds of the fans.  

I guess it feels better than Buzz City.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The AFC South said:

That's what I thought, but a bunch of little Russell Westbrook fanboys tried to tell me they were wearing Sonics throwbacks and I told them they were wrong.

Of course they were. They probably don't even realize that Russell Westbrook never played a minute in Seattle

52 minutes ago, insert name said:

Ugh, why did they move the SuperSonics?

If the city and its supporters would've known how serious relocation chance was, I think a local buyer would've came in during the sale in 2006.

Ballmer alone could've bought them for 2.5% of his net worth at that time.  I'd wager no one around that time up there believed the NBA would remove an established franchise.

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Can I admit that Russell looks good in Green? 

Yes, I feel the same way. It's a much more appealing color scheme than everything OKC has trotted out.

In fact, I kind of want to start a topic on examples of players that look good in certain uniforms regardless of their tenure and performance.

Example: Kevin Willis in a Spurs uniform, or Gerald Wilkins in a pinstriped Orlando Magic uniform.

2 hours ago, Derek94 said:

If the city and its supporters would've known how serious relocation chance was, I think a local buyer would've came in during the sale in 2006.

Ballmer alone could've bought them for 2.5% of his net worth at that time.  I'd wager no one around that time up there believed the NBA would remove an established franchise.

I find it weird that a team would move from a decently large market to the middle of Oklahoma. If they weren't a good team I think OKC would be a bust.

3 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I find it weird that a team would move from a decently large market to the middle of Oklahoma. If they weren't a good team I think OKC would be a bust.

I'm not so sure, they supported the NOLA Hornets after the hurricane and that showed the NBA that they could support a franchise. You then had last year where you had possibly more support for them despite KD leaving and Westbrook carrying the team on his back to the playoffs. There's only a select few places that could consistently sell out despite the product on the court and those being the lakers, Boston, Chicago, maybe Miami, and the knicks. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

There's only a select few places that could consistently sell out despite the product on the court and those being the lakers, Boston, Chicago, maybe Miami, and the knicks. 

I realize you said maybe Miami and I'm gonna go ahead and dispute that. A lot of talk during the big 3 era down there about how many empty seats there were in the arena at almost every single game. 

8 minutes ago, JoshMcC1982 said:

I realize you said maybe Miami and I'm gonna go ahead and dispute that. A lot of talk during the big 3 era down there about how many empty seats there were in the arena at almost every single game. 

Empty seats doesn't mean not sold out.  Miami fans are known for being late to games, plus people might not show up despite having tickets in hand.  I'm sure Miami sold out the vast majority of its games while the Big 3 were there.

I doubt Miami sold out any games last year without Wade or LeBron.

Story about it here

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

New number font styles for the Cavs, Sixers, T-Wolves, and Blazers:

IMG_6341.thumb.JPG.e93a5c15828755a9f3b7dc7a6b66b9ec.JPGIMG_6339.thumb.JPG.5bd9a251defd52517ef188c3d05c910a.JPGIMG_6340.thumb.JPG.0f945e9abf78f5fd4ec043e6a8c534c9.JPGIMG_6338.thumb.JPG.b05972045d4f67184e9b6ae59ec63e4c.JPG

I would expect the numbers on the t-shirts to correspond with how they'll look on the jerseys of the same color.

And here's a possible number font style for a new Warriors alt:

IMG_6344.thumb.PNG.117143810d40c8f4bc52f7b2d0962a18.PNG

We know they're still using copperplate for their primary uniforms, but it looks like one of their alts might use this new font instead.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I think I really like the drop shadow the Sixers added....the Cavs' number font looks decent despite the terrible color scheme....the Timberwolves' font looks goofy, but I will reserve judgment until uniforms are unveiled....nothing about the Blazers' font looks much different to me....I will be curious to see if and how and Warriors use that font as well as what the accompanying wordmark font will look like.

7 hours ago, The AFC South said:

He still never played for the Sonics. They moved to OKC before his rookie season.

I'm aware. just having some fun. didn't know he ever even put a Sonics uniform on. even in summer league he wore a generic "oklahoma city" jersey

Archived