NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously I'll reserve final judgment until we see the actual uniforms, but here's my analysis...

Good:

-The colors on the Icon Edition are more exciting than simply wine and gold

-The yellow collar segments on both Editions are at least angular to match the side panels

-The navy jersey trim and contrast waistband on the shorts on the Icon Edition add a dimension the previous set was missing

-The 'CLEVELAND' wordmark actually is arched to match the 'CAVALIERS' script

Bad:

-The wordmark and numeral font is still terrible

-The yellow collar segments are unnecessary

-The side panels are stupid and useless and unnecessary -- this set would be much better off without anything in that area than this half-hearted doodle.

-'CAVALIERS' isn't long enough to justify shortening to 'CAVS' in the first place, and the new 'CAVS' wordmark isn't iconic enough to justify its use here (whereas the '80s one was)

-'CLEVELAND' is too long for a belt buckle logo, especially when they have multiple other logos

-The 'C' logo with the sword at the bottom of the shorts works fine on the Association Edition, but gets lost on the Icon Edition without enough contrast

Most if not all of the good things aren't all that good, and most if not all of the bad things are pretty darn bad. These are mediocre at best for now, but we'll see what the actual uniforms as well as the alternates in the set end up looking like.

The more I look at the uniform, the more I'm disliking it, especially since I keep thinking it looks too much like an Atlanta alternate.  It just seems to have poorly designed side panels that seem more apt for a lower-division college team rather than a top-tier NBA team.

It's just so damn bland. There's no identity here. At least with the last jersey, even if you found it boring, there were stripes that tied it together. This has nothing and doesn't seem attached to the team's past aside from colors and the name. 

And if they are in fact going to CAVS and dropping Cavaliers again... UGH.

Not sure how people are saying this looks like the Hawks jersey....this looks nothing like the Atlanta Hawks jersey, unless the similarities is they are both red(ish) basketball jerseys...

uniforms-3.jpg

3 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

No navy on the white jersey makes me angry. If you're going to use Navy, USE NAVY. 

Yeah, the home is completely terrible with no navy.  Cavs are pulling a Suns with mismatched home/away sets.

3 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

No navy on the white jersey makes me angry. If you're going to use Navy, USE NAVY. 

The shame of it is that the white jersey is much better balanced and overall more appeasing to my eye, PROVING (to me at least) that they really need to just drop it.

1 minute ago, DJT said:

Not sure how people are saying this looks like the Hawks jersey....this looks nothing like the Atlanta Hawks jersey, unless the similarities is they are both red(ish) basketball jerseys...

uniforms-3.jpg

Red with a bright accent, modern, mostly simple, uses a shortened name, basically :censored:ty. So that's 5 things in common.

2 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Red with a bright accent, modern, mostly simple, uses a shortened name, basically :censored:ty. So that's 5 things in common.

But they didn't use a shortened name, its Cleveland. But other than that yeah sure.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Their home jersey has "CAVS" instead of cavaliers

Oh I thought we were talking specifically about the icon/road jersey.

Yeah i'm not a fan of Cavs on the white jersey. Save Cavs for the odd black jersey or another alt.

Archived