NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

16 hours ago, insert name said:

I hate the almost everything about the Hawks current identity. They got it right modernizing the classic pac-man logo but almost everything else stinks. I don't like the triangles on the jersey because it doesn't add anything. I hate the neon color on the jersey because it's just an eyesore.

This right here is just ugly. Probably the worst set in the NBA today. 

a-163.jpg

Clearly one of the worst ever. These are absolutely horrible, what a terrible mashup of stupid/trendy :censored:...

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I think Atlanta only treads into ugly territory when they wear mis-matching shorts. Otherwise, I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be. Would I prefer gold instead of volt/hilghlighter yellow? Yeah. But the volt is still close enough to yellow (on the uniforms at least) that it works fine for me. And I'm just glad that the color scheme looks more Hawks-ish than RWB ever did.

Oh, and the modern triangular pattern is great. It's subtle enough that it isn't terribly distracting, but it still sets them apart from any other team in the league. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I actually don't mind the Hawks' triangle pattern all that much. The updated Pac-Man logo is awesome. I think their uniforms would look so much better if they used yellow instead of the volt green. Also, mixing and matching different colored jerseys and shorts never works. I also really like their word and number font.

4 hours ago, StrongXStyle said:

Can mix matching combo uni work in basketball? At the moment, the examples we have now aren't well received like warriors a few years back and hawks.   

I doesn't work well because it looks too busy and cluttered.  The Hawks-Hornets pic from a recent post shows that, aside from any debate about the Hawks jerseys themselves.

Basketball is a very fast-paced game played by very large men on a very small playing surface.  Too many colors at once make the game look very, very messy and garbled.  That's why I'm not a fan of color-vs.-color (let alone different colored shirts and shorts!) matchups.  Yellow vs. a non-yellow color can work because yellow is just about the lightest non-white color a team can wear, but it's got to be light-vs.-dark otherwise the game looks very messy.

Mix and match presents a slippery slope too, because if that ever caught on we would see some unbearable matchups.  Again going back to that Hawks-Hornets matchup, imagine if the Hornets decided to wear purple shorts.  Or even worse, a purple jersey with teal shorts against Atlanta in those jerseys.   NO!  

In terms of the Hawks themselves, I don't think should have ever ditched these beauties:

tyronn-lue-of-the-atlanta-hawks-shoots-a-free-throw-against-the-picture-id52067451donta-smith-of-the-atlanta-hawks-stands-on-the-court-during-the-game-picture-id52545593

Maybe tweak those a little bit, and you've got some great, timeless jerseys.  Those are the kind of jerseys that will never go out of style because they are not trendy, but at the same time they have a bit of style and are not boring.  Those jerseys look like they would work in the 70, 80s, 90s, and today.  The definition of a classy, timeless jersey.

The look the Hawks have now screams "trendy" and is obviously (hopefully!) not something they intend on keeping longterm, which makes it stupid.  Teams should not develop an identity knowing that is going to look worn out and out-of-style in 5 years.  The horrendous volt green color is obviously a trendy color that is going to be out of style in a few years, if it isn't already, which will make the Hawks look even worse than they do right now.  But the volt green is one of the least of their problems, which shows how much of a mess their identity is.  The sublimated triangles look bad.   The font looks bad.  Their court looks bad.  They're trying to cram in a classic pacman logo with weird modern triangular patterns and an ugly volt green color and ugly futuristic wordmarks, and no one's mentioned the weird flaming-basketball-in-a-flying-toilet logo on their waistband for a while.  NOTHING about their identity looks good.  I guess I'll give them credit for at least using red and black.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 9:22 PM, SCalderwood said:

In terms of the Hawks themselves, I don't think should have ever ditched these beauties:

tyronn-lue-of-the-atlanta-hawks-shoots-a-free-throw-against-the-picture-id52067451donta-smith-of-the-atlanta-hawks-stands-on-the-court-during-the-game-picture-id52545593

Maybe tweak those a little bit, and you've got some great, timeless jerseys.  Those are the kind of jerseys that will never go out of style because they are not trendy, but at the same time they have a bit of style and are not boring.  Those jerseys look like they would work in the 70, 80s, 90s, and today.  The definition of a classy, timeless jersey.

The look the Hawks have now screams "trendy" and is obviously (hopefully!) not something they intend on keeping longterm, which makes it stupid.  Teams should not develop an identity knowing that is going to look worn out and out-of-style in 5 years.  The horrendous volt green color is obviously a trendy color that is going to be out of style in a few years, if it isn't already, which will make the Hawks look even worse than they do right now.  But the volt green is one of the least of their problems, which shows how much of a mess their identity is.  The sublimated triangles look bad.   The font looks bad.  Their court looks bad.  They're trying to cram in a classic pacman logo with weird modern triangular patterns and an ugly volt green color and ugly futuristic wordmarks, and no one's mentioned the weird flaming-basketball-in-a-flying-toilet logo on their waistband for a while.  NOTHING about their identity looks good.  I guess I'll give them credit for at least using red and black.

I am with you on that though, I actually thought the previous wasn't half bad. I felt they should own navy and red since the nets abandoned it. Imo I think red and black is used too much. it is the new red and blue.

17 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

I am with you on that though, I actually thought the previous wasn't half bad. I felt they should own navy and red since the nets abandoned it. Imo I think red and black is used too much. it is the new red and blue.

My only issue with that is that I don't consider red/white/navy to be all that different than red/white/blue.  So I don't really consider red/white/navy to be all that special/unique of a color scheme.  But even if you do, the problem is that WSH (arguably ATL's biggest division rival, at the moment) also wears red/white/navy.

I would not want the Hawks to just go to red and black; I would want them to be red/white/black/yellow.  I feel that the yellow makes a gigantic difference in terms of differentiating themselves from all of the other red/black teams.  I think that red/black/yellow is a very sharp-looking scheme, and I don't think any other team is using it.  Also, maybe it's because I grew up in the 90s, but it's really hard for me to think of the Hawks as anything other than red/black/yellow (NOT volt).

4 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

the problem with these is that this was the hawks worst era. the new jersey set though trendy, is unique to the league and I'm a fan of the Volt. Do I feel like they are perfect? no, do I like the toilet bowl logo? :censored: no! I do feel like they can do something awesome just through a re-evaluation of the current scheme/identity. 

ATL

6 hours ago, JerseyJosh said:

Waiting on new uniform news like

Ill-Just-Wait-Here.jpg

I actually had this same thought today! HA! 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 2/25/2017 at 9:26 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

To be honest, I think Atlanta only treads into ugly territory when they wear mis-matching shorts. Otherwise, I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be. Would I prefer gold instead of volt/hilghlighter yellow? Yeah. But the volt is still close enough to yellow (on the uniforms at least) that it works fine for me. And I'm just glad that the color scheme looks more Hawks-ish than RWB ever did.

Oh, and the modern triangular pattern is great. It's subtle enough that it isn't terribly distracting, but it still sets them apart from any other team in the league. 

I largely feel the same way about the Hawks' set. I actually don't mind the volt (but I'm also a sucker for unique colors too, and that's also a reason I like the Hawks going with a dark gray--perhaps one of my favorite colors--instead of black), though I'd rather have red or slate numbers on white (possibly red "Hawks," gray numbers with a volt outline). The biggest thing that does bug me about the triangular pattern is that it's only on a side panel on the shorts but everywhere on the jersey; either put a side panel with the pattern on the tops, have the pattern everywhere on the pants like the jerseys, or have a pattern-less and/or contrasting solid-color side panel on both.

As for the contrasting shorts? I'd probably scrap any such look full-stop, though red over gray isn't nearly as offensive as gray over red.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I may have to go to that 4/11 T-Wolves game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived