NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, lafferty daniel said:

I just can't get behind the lime green after learning that Rodney Richardson is designing the Wolves rebrand.  He did the Atlanta Hawks neon green monstrosity.  

New Wolves Logo Teaser_2.JPG

I have a bad feeling the Wolves will have that tree pattern all over their uniforms just like Hawks triangles. 

But not all of Richardson's work has been bad. The Hornets and Grizzlies are two of the better rebrandings of the past decade. 

40 minutes ago, lafferty daniel said:

I just can't get behind the lime green after learning that Rodney Richardson is designing the Wolves rebrand.  He did the Atlanta Hawks neon green monstrosity.  

You do realize that the teams tell the designer what they want right? And besides, he created the new Pac-Man logo, whihc is great. The alternate logo with the wings was done by another design firm. 

I may be a bit biased, but I love the Hawks' new branding. The volt is unique and the new wordmarks and Pac logo look really good. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I hope they come up with something that sticks. Everything the Wolves use gets so dated in a matter of a few years. I loved their original set, as bland as they were. I feel like using those as a base and giving them a bit of character and energy would work well. 

I hope to baby Jesus that it's not something like the Hawks' set.

sig.png

3 hours ago, lafferty daniel said:

Looks like the pattern could be something like the Sounders use. 

rBVaEVb-RU-AHUUzAAHI9pop44M936.jpg

A sublimated pattern on that Sounders jersey looks great; I'd argue that it's just too prominent with the Hawks. Just dial down the opacity a touch and it'd be fine, and a similar idea with Wolves trees would be even better imho.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I have a feeling since the trees were part of vintage uniforms, their placement stays the same as being on the collar and cuffs and shorts cuffs. The alternating orientation is a new idea brought to the table to change things up; "borrowing from the past to look to the future" is something they'll end up using. 

Earth to everyone, the Timberwolves have NEVER had even a average looking identity. Everything has been garbage. EVERYTHING.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

On 3/21/2017 at 3:55 PM, VDizzle12 said:

I have a bad feeling the Wolves will have that tree pattern all over their uniforms just like Hawks triangles. 

But not all of Richardson's work has been bad. The Hornets and Grizzlies are two of the better rebrandings of the past decade. 

The Griz, IMO, have a horrible and bland identity and the Hawks have great logos while the jerseys are subpar and the use of volt is horrible

AwvgSX4.png

7 hours ago, buzzcut said:

Earth to everyone, the Timberwolves have NEVER had even a average looking identity. Everything has been garbage. EVERYTHING.

I'll have to strongly disagree with this, I've never even been to Minnesota and I have no connection to the team whatsoever, but everything about the Wolves identity has made it one of my favorites in the NBA.  I love the nickname and the color scheme.  I've liked every single logo and wordmark they've had, including alternate logos.  I loved the tree pattern on the trim, although I don't think that would work today.  

I'm really worried that this new identity is going to suck, though.  I hope I am wrong.  I actually don't think there is anything wrong with their current logo set, but their uniforms need a complete overhaul.

29 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

I'll have to strongly disagree with this, I've never even been to Minnesota and I have no connection to the team whatsoever, but everything about the Wolves identity has made it one of my favorites in the NBA.  I love the nickname and the color scheme.  I've liked every single logo and wordmark they've had, including alternate logos.  I loved the tree pattern on the trim, although I don't think that would work today.  

I'm really worried that this new identity is going to suck, though.  I hope I am wrong.  I actually don't think there is anything wrong with their current logo set, but their uniforms need a complete overhaul.

What is wrong about them is that their identity is too crowded, the logo has the massive wordmark and 6 trees and the unis have odd striping and hiden trees, it is just too much

AwvgSX4.png

Sublimated patterns can work.  I think it worked well for the Magic, and if it's subtle, it can work here too.  I didn't see the Hawks enough to judge whether it worked for them, but just based on images posted here, I think they probably went too far.

They just need to keep the letters, numbers, and other patterns SIMPLE.  If you're going wild with sublimated patterns, then you need to balance that with relative simplicity elsewhere.  Once you go and start using the custom fonts and wacky trim and other bold elements, then you're just smashing too many things on there and even if each element looks good independently, none of them look good together.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

57 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Interesting to note this uniform will never be used with Adidas

The unveiling on April 11th is just for the logo. They can't show the uniforms until the league's contract with Adidas is expired, so we won't even see them until the switch officially takes place.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, ImmortalChef said:

What is wrong about them is that their identity is too crowded, the logo has the massive wordmark and 6 trees and the unis have odd striping and hiden trees, it is just too much

Well, I completely agree with you about the unis, like I said, I think those are the biggest problem with their identity and the unis need major revamping.

I can see where you are coming from with the primary logo being a little too crowded by today's standards, but that seems like a rather minor issue in the scheme of their actual "presentation."  I mean their full primary logo isn't really on anything, is it?

Do you think the actual wolf logo has anything wrong with it?  If yes, what's wrong with it?  I don't want to see it go, I don't see anything wrong with it and I don't really see them replacing it with anything better, and at this point it is pretty recognizable.  I think it has held up well considering it is over 20 years old.  It doesn't look dated to me at all.  Why get rid of it?

49 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

Well, I completely agree with you about the unis, like I said, I think those are the biggest problem with their identity and the unis need major revamping.

I can see where you are coming from with the primary logo being a little too crowded by today's standards, but that seems like a rather minor issue in the scheme of their actual "presentation."  I mean their full primary logo isn't really on anything, is it?

Do you think the actual wolf logo has anything wrong with it?  If yes, what's wrong with it?  I don't want to see it go, I don't see anything wrong with it and I don't really see them replacing it with anything better, and at this point it is pretty recognizable.  I think it has held up well considering it is over 20 years old.  It doesn't look dated to me at all.  Why get rid of it?

For me

1. Way too crowed, the wolf shouldn't hide in the background

2. The green stands out way too much, green needs to be used as an outline

3. The wolf needs work. I'm not a big fan of half grey, half black and it looks weird. 

4. It's very cartoon-ish. Their secondary logo, the wolf howling, is far superior to this logo. 

Those are my problems with it. Anything else?? 

zq8qkfni1g087f4245egc32po.gif

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

I actually also like the Hawks identity. I agree though that the mixing of the shorts and jerseys is terrible. It also may to do with the fact that I absolutely despised the uniforms they had before these( those boring red and navy for navy sake jobs). The volt color is calm enough to where it doesn't take over the jersey plus it gives a nod to the Maravich jerseys.:D

Archived