NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

6 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Hmmm, that's interesting. It looks like there are several different logos there and they don't really seem to have any cohesiveness so I would guess it's just brainstorming. But you never know, some of that material could be close to what we end up seeing. 

Considering what the Clippers currently use, I'll take Clippy at center court if it meant getting rid of the mistake they made two years ago.

Spoiler

26-clippy.w536.h357.2x.jpg

would be like advertising, that isn't quite advertising.

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/30/2017 at 11:38 AM, kimball said:

But, what would the 5 year waiting period be from? And, for what? If you're talking about changing primary jerseys then they'd be open to change now (since they changed in 2012). But, that's assuming there is a 5 year waiting period in the NBA. Which, I don't think there is? Especially considering each team has a billion alternate jerseys.

But, I agree with @Shadojoker the template should be their primaries. I love the modern history twist of them. 

what am i missing with these stars and stripes wizards uniforms?  i hate them, and think its just more of that pandering patriotism that sports teams do to wring out a few extra bucks from their fans.  

Maybe because the Wizards francise were one of the first (if not THE first) major league teams to wear a stars-and-stripes design? They wore it, or a variation of it, for 13 years, had their biggest success in it (including 3 finals appearances and their only title) and it became a definitive uni for the team. Even as far back as the early 90s there were calls for them to bring it back or modernize it.

3 hours ago, bucky_bleichert said:

what am i missing with these stars and stripes wizards uniforms?  i hate them, and think its just more of that pandering patriotism that sports teams do to wring out a few extra bucks from their fans.  

Are you also upset with the 76ers' patriotic theme?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, bucky_bleichert said:

They play in the capital of the United States of America. They can do that.

2 hours ago, Discogod said:

Maybe because the Wizards francise were one of the first (if not THE first) major league teams to wear a stars-and-stripes design? They wore it, or a variation of it, for 13 years, had their biggest success in it (including 3 finals appearances and their only title) and it became a definitive uni for the team. Even as far back as the early 90s there were calls for them to bring it back or modernize it.

but didn't they have their success in the original horizontal stripes uniforms that their current look modernized?  yes, the shorts had stars, but if you compare their 'successful' look with these stars/stripes, they don't look alike at all

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Are you also upset with the 76ers' patriotic theme?

not at all.  i'm also not upset about this stars/stripes wizards jersey, i just don't understand why people seem to like the look so much.. i think it pales in comparison to their unique primary uniforms, personally.  i was honestly asking 'what am i missing (aka 'why do people like the look so much?')' in my original post.

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

They play in the capital of the United States of America. They can do that.

yeah, of course - but that doesn't explain the love these uniforms get.  that's what i was referring to. 

There are several reasons this Wizards alt is so popular.

For one, I think it's just people being relieved that it is not an absolutely atrocious alternate.  There are so many ugly alts out there these days that whenever a team says it is going to release an alternate, it seems like people are bracing for the worst.  Even with the new Wolves identity coming out soon, a lot of people are worried about what to expect.  I feel like it didn't used to be that way.  Anyway, you see even the respectable franchises coming out with hideous alternates (Pacers, Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, Thunder, Heat, Warriors, probably several I didn't name).  You hear that WSH is coming out with a THIRD alternate (they already have two other alternates, if you include their fauxback), and you don't know what to expect. Odds are, based on what other teams, it's going to have one of the following - BFBS, GFGS, sleeves.  Well, miraculously, their alternate is none of those.  That, by itself, I think is why so many people like it.

Now to be a little more positive here, I think what makes these such good-looking unis is that they are totally clean and simple on the front and back, and save their gaudiness for the side panels.  Usually teams do the opposite of that, and you end up with a uniform that looks way to busy and forced.   The Wizards alternate is a good balance of "clean and simple" and "interesting."  I don't think it's the actual stars and stripes that people like, it's not that they are extremely patriotic, I think they just think it's an aesthetically-pleasing uniform that doesn't have sleeves and sticks to the team's colors, which is starting to seem like a rarity.

EDIT: Also, very smart money move by the Wiz announcing they'll be wearing these alts throughout the playoffs.  They've had this identity for 5 years now, so by now, anyone who would have bought a white primary jersey probably already has.  I'm expecting sales of these alts to drastically increase as we move towards and through the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Shadojoker said:

After Minnesota...who else you guys think will be the next to reveal their new look??

Before this season the Blazers' President suggested that the team would unveil their new look sometime in the Spring, but there hasn't been any word since. I could see them showing us the logo here soon, or even teasing the new logo in their marketing and social media materials for the playoffs.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 4/8/2017 at 0:24 PM, bucky_bleichert said:

but didn't they have their success in the original horizontal stripes uniforms that their current look modernized?  yes, the shorts had stars, but if you compare their 'successful' look with these stars/stripes, they don't look alike at all

not at all.  i'm also not upset about this stars/stripes wizards jersey, i just don't understand why people seem to like the look so much.. i think it pales in comparison to their unique primary uniforms, personally.  i was honestly asking 'what am i missing (aka 'why do people like the look so much?')' in my original post.

yeah, of course - but that doesn't explain the love these uniforms get.  that's what i was referring to. 

Because it's an awesome jersey. Which would you rather have?
gallery_061019_hayes.jpg

washington+wizards.jpg

15 minutes ago, dont care said:

*Unpopular opinion alert*

i liked those gold jerseys. Yes I like the current alts better but I really loved how shiny those jerseys were.

I agree too. I thought those gold unis were cool and unique. But at the same time that look wouldn't have last long anyway.

Their current look and that new stars and stripes look to me is instant classic.

shado_logo.gif

On 4/9/2017 at 7:40 AM, SCalderwood said:

There are several reasons this Wizards alt is so popular.

...Now to be a little more positive here, I think what makes these such good-looking unis is that they are totally clean and simple on the front and back, and save their gaudiness for the side panels.  Usually teams do the opposite of that, and you end up with a uniform that looks way to busy and forced.   The Wizards alternate is a good balance of "clean and simple" and "interesting."  I don't think it's the actual stars and stripes that people like, it's not that they are extremely patriotic, I think they just think it's an aesthetically-pleasing uniform that doesn't have sleeves and sticks to the team's colors, which is starting to seem like a rarity.

I'll also note that the numbers are far easier to read on the alts than on the primaries.  I like the primaries' homage to the classic Bullets unis, but two "modernizing" design choices -- the selection of a condensed # font, and the use of a single grey/silver keyline -- result in a design that doesn't provide enough contrast between the jersey #s, the horizontal stripe, and the jersey # itself.  The classic Bullets design used a double keyline and a traditional block jersey # font, resulting in more legible jersey #s. 

The original version of the Wizards primaries was even worse in this regard, because the horizontal stripe continued around the back. E.g., Wall's jersey from his rookie (EDIT - second) year:

jerseyback.jpg

The Wizards fixed that the following season; here's the current version:

150507152824-john-wall-iso-back-of-jerse

The stars and stripes unis, of course, don't have any horizontal stripes that intersect with the jersey #s.  And, they've replaced the silver keyline with a double keyline reminiscent of the double keyline used in the Unseld era. 

washington-wizards.jpg

Wes-Unseld.jpg

All this said:  I don't think the stars and stripes design works well as a primary, because: i) features the city name instead of the team name; and ii) I'm not sure that the template design lends itself well to a navy or red road version. 

3 minutes ago, keynote said:

I'll also note that the numbers are far easier to read on the alts than on the primaries.  I like the primaries' homage to the classic Bullets unis, but two "modernizing" design choices -- the selection of a condensed # font, and the use of a grey/silver keyline -- result in a design that doesn't provide enough contrast between the jersey #s, the horizontal stripe, and the jersey # itself.  The original design uses a white keyline and a traditional block jersey # font, resulting in more legible jersey #s. 

The original version of the primaries (with the horizontal stripe around the back) was even worse.  E.g., Wall's jersey from his rookie year:

jerseyback.jpg

The Wizards fixed that the following season.

150507152824-john-wall-iso-back-of-jerse

The stars and stripes unis, of course, don't have any horizontal stripes that intersect with the jersey #s.  And, they've replaced the silver keyline with a double keyline reminiscent of the double keyline used in the Unseld era. 

washington-wizards.jpg

Wes-Unseld.jpg

All this said:  I don't think the stars and stripes design works well as a primary, because: i) features the city name instead of the team name; and ii) I'm not sure that the template design lends itself well to a navy or red road version. 

Actually, and I know this is nitpicky, but these are John Wall's rookie jerseys. They changed in his second year. But, I agree with you the back stripe was horrible.

nba_g_wall_b1_288v.jpg.bc18c35271c3d56316ac4a37e832fcdf.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived