NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

3 minutes ago, okcsooner35 said:

According to local sports giant Berry Tramel, the Thunder are dropping the sunset orange alternates next year. This is interesting when looking at OKC's jersey lineup below, as the navy vertical wordmark alternate was retired before this season and the white sleeved alternate will be shelved after the Nike takeover. So, if OKC is dropping the orange alternate as well, that means OKC will be down to the home white and oklahoma blue away. Unless OKC is changing their jerseys with Nike? 

Perhaps @Conrad. can confirm?

OKCunispng.png

They're getting rid of their jerseys and stars ... one by one.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, okcsooner35 said:

According to local sports giant Berry Tramel, the Thunder are dropping the sunset orange alternates next year. This is interesting when looking at OKC's jersey lineup below, as the navy vertical wordmark alternate was retired before this season and the white sleeved alternate will be shelved after the Nike takeover. So, if OKC is dropping the orange alternate as well, that means OKC will be down to the home white and oklahoma blue away. Unless OKC is changing their jerseys with Nike? 

I can confirm that they're NOT getting new uniforms next season, so the news is quite surprising about the sunset alts (they're my fav uniforms that OKC currently have).

I don't have any "official" news about new alternate uniforms that Nike will be adding next season, though, so I suppose that's a possibility.

5 minutes ago, Spiderbat said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the Hornets will be getting Jordan Brand uniforms. They will be the only team in the NBA wearing Jordan Brand.

We've basically known that since shortly after the news broke that Nike had won the NBA contract. And I believe Adam Silver just about confirmed that in an interview a year ago.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Don't the current Hornets unis have some ties with Jordan brand designers?  If so, I think we'll just see a new manufacturer's logo instead of a complete new set.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Don't the current Hornets unis have some ties with Jordan brand designers?  If so, I think we'll just see a new manufacturer's logo instead of a complete new set.

Doubt that but since Jordan is the owner, that part would make sense.  For sure I would have thought Chicago, Chicago and at least Brooklyn would have jumped on the Jordan brand fro the NBA jerseys next season

2 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Doubt that but since Jordan is the owner, that part would make sense.  For sure I would have thought Chicago, Chicago and at least Brooklyn would have jumped on the Jordan brand fro the NBA jerseys next season

The Jordan Brand team did design the current unis.

And apparently the Jumpman logo on the Hornets jerseys was mentioned by Adam Silver this time last year.  So that came true...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:00 AM, keynote said:

I'll also note that the numbers are far easier to read on the alts than on the primaries.  I like the primaries' homage to the classic Bullets unis, but two "modernizing" design choices -- the selection of a condensed # font, and the use of a single grey/silver keyline -- result in a design that doesn't provide enough contrast between the jersey #s, the horizontal stripe, and the jersey # itself.  The classic Bullets design used a double keyline and a traditional block jersey # font, resulting in more legible jersey #s. 

The original version of the Wizards primaries was even worse in this regard, because the horizontal stripe continued around the back. E.g., Wall's jersey from his rookie (EDIT - second) year:

jerseyback.jpg

The Wizards fixed that the following season; here's the current version:

150507152824-john-wall-iso-back-of-jerse

The stars and stripes unis, of course, don't have any horizontal stripes that intersect with the jersey #s.  And, they've replaced the silver keyline with a double keyline reminiscent of the double keyline used in the Unseld era. 

washington-wizards.jpg

Wes-Unseld.jpg

All this said:  I don't think the stars and stripes design works well as a primary, because: i) features the city name instead of the team name; and ii) I'm not sure that the template design lends itself well to a navy or red road version. 

A lot of great stuff here. I must say that I prefer the modern numbers given they are paired with a modern font. And while I agree the front number really need another key line in order to stand out on the front (where the number is essentially cut in half), the back looked cooler and more unique with the stripe. I also wish they'd add the stripe to the blue alts.

Overall, the NBA is an absolute mess this playoff season. The Bulls wore black t-shirts, the Cavs still refuse to wear anything but alts on the road, the Blazers wore a t-shirt alt at home, Houston wearing black against OKC in orange... And even though I love the use of the logo on the Bucks alts, why are they wearing black? Everybody is muddled.

I must say, the Warriors did a great job of establishing their new identity and sticking with the primaries. Though they have alts and must sell an assload of jerseys, they don't tend to spam them like other teams.

2 hours ago, okcsooner35 said:

Tramel.png

OKCunispng.png

I won't shed any tears.  I never liked the orange set.  While not great, I liked the navy alternate much better.  I have a very hard time believing OKC would just have a home and away set next season...not in the age of every team having at least 1 alternate.

2 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I won't shed any tears.  I never liked the orange set.  While not great, I liked the navy alternate much better.  I have a very hard time believing OKC would just have a home and away set next season...not in the age of every team having at least 10 alternates.

FTFY

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

18 hours ago, Conrad. said:

This alt logo is aight. I'd love to see them incorporate more elements from the Indiana flag though whenever they rebrand.

2c63b86e535deac2e125e337a550a9a4.jpg

Side random note: I'm on NBA STORE everyday watching for those Adidas liquidation sales..can't wait!

shado_logo.gif

Archived