NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

As a Minnesotan I don't like that they are going to wear that both times they play us.  To me it's running it in our face the success the franchise went on to have while we have had by and large terrible basketball since we got a team back.  I get that there's a statue of George Mikan in the Target Center and we recognize the Minneapolis Lakers, but wearing this throwback against us doesn't sit right with me.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No pics yet, but Pau Gasol has started the Spurs/Heat game wearing the black practice shorts instead of the black game shorts. They both have gray side panels so it’s a bit tough to tell at first glance, but they’re very clearly the practice shorts when you look a little closer.

Edit- Here’s a good look:

0F4B93F6-161F-4BD3-87A7-29FA0EA2A134.jpeg.94f1cd8a3b32a026121c67c582b8776e.jpeg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

No pics yet, but Pau Gasol has started the Spurs/Heat game wearing the black practice shorts instead of the black game shorts. They both have gray side panels so it’s a bit tough to tell at first glance, but they’re very clearly the practice shorts when you look a little closer.

Edit- Here’s a good look:

0F4B93F6-161F-4BD3-87A7-29FA0EA2A134.jpeg.94f1cd8a3b32a026121c67c582b8776e.jpeg

Came in here to post this. 

Even though it's been a few years now, it still feels strange to see Gasol not in a Lakers uniform.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Anyone see KCP's jersey last night?? There was a huge gap from the NOB to the # where everyone else only had a small gap. Drove me crazy. Probably due tho his long name, but still, don't see why they couldn't bump his # up more.

1509003667715-171025_Post-Partido_thumb.1509004164302-171025_Postgame-Report_thu

I've noticed that the Cavs have already had a home game in wine and a road game in white. Will it become the new norm that teams don't stick to home/road jerseys now that they have stupid names? I'd MUCH prefer color v color rather than seeing the wrong team in white.

6 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I've noticed that the Cavs have already had a home game in wine and a road game in white. Will it become the new norm that teams don't stick to home/road jerseys now that they have stupid names? I'd MUCH prefer color v color rather than seeing the wrong team in white.

Yes so get used to it.

Jaguars

19 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Yes, home teams now have more freedom to wear whatever uniform they want for each game (except the fourth uniforms haven’t been unveiled yet and it seems like the “Statement” uniforms aren’t gonna be worn until next month), and the road teams have to pick a contrasting uniform, which will often times be the whites. When Nike and the NBA announced the new naming conventions for the new uniforms, part of the point was that they were getting rid of the home/away/home alt/road alt, etc. labels, meaning the home teams could wear any uniform they wanted for all home games. In the case of last night’s Nets/Cavs game, the Cavs’ wine uniforms would’ve provided a decent contrast to the Nets’ black uniforms, but the whites were the better choice to maximize contrast. I don’t necessarily like seeing road teams in white, but there are going to be a ton of instances (and there’s already been quite a few ) where that’s really the only feasible option to contrast with the home teams’ uniforms of choice.  Having said that, the Rockets have already had two road games where they could’ve worn their red uniforms against the home teams’ colored uniforms (the Kings in purple and the Sixers in blue), but they decided to wear white both times. It’s my hope that instances like that can be avoided if there’s a suitable color on color matchup available.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yes, home teams now have more freedom to wear whatever uniform they want for each game (except the fourth uniforms haven’t been unveiled yet and it seems like the “Statement” uniforms aren’t gonna be worn until next month), and the road teams have to pick a contrasting uniform, which will often times be the whites. When Nike and the NBA announced the new naming conventions for the new uniforms, part of the point was that they were getting rid of the home/away/home alt/road alt, etc. labels, meaning the home teams could wear any uniform they wanted for all home games. In the case of last night’s Nets/Cavs game, the Cavs’ wine uniforms would’ve provided a decent contrast to the Nets’ black uniforms, but the whites were the better choice to maximize contrast. I don’t necessarily like seeing road teams in white, but there are going to be a ton of instances (and there’s already been quite a few ) where that’s really the only feasible option to contrast with the home teams’ uniforms of choice.  Having said that, the Rockets have already had two road games where they could’ve worn their red uniforms against the home teams’ colored uniforms (the Kings in purple and the Sixers in blue), but they decided to wear white both times. It’s my hope that instances like that can be avoided if there’s a suitable color on color matchup available.

Interesting. Color-wise I'm sure I'll get used to it, since the NBA was already so alt-heavy that classic home v road matchups were not that standard anyway. But it does bother me to lose the identity of home v road in terms of team name versus city name on the jersey. Oh well, it's not as bad as most of Nike's designs or ads on jerseys so gotta pick my battles I guess.

1 hour ago, Teal said:

Yes so get used to it.

Thanks for adding some much to the discussion.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

I don't know if there's much of a contrast between the Cavs' wine and Nets' black jerseys? But, I was a bit disappointed the Rockets didn't wear red last night against the 76ers. Hopefully, we'll see less white on the road when the statement jerseys are finally worn next month. 

But, I have to say as weird as it is to watch road teams in white, it's also weird seeing the Lakers in gold on the road as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Thanks for adding some much to the discussion.

I don't know if there's much of a contrast between the Cavs' wine and Nets' black jerseys? But, I was a bit disappointed the Rockets didn't wear red last night against the 76ers. Hopefully, we'll see less white on the road when the statement jerseys are finally worn next month. 

But, I have to say as weird as it is to watch road teams in white, it's also weird seeing the Lakers in gold on the road as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

No doubt. NBA is a joke league, ads on jerseys and this color nonsense, and giving uniforms tacky names, smh 

David Stern would never have allowed this

2 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

No doubt. NBA is a joke league, ads on jerseys and this color nonsense, and giving uniforms tacky names, smh 

David Stern would never have allowed this

I don't mind the color vs. color, just please no white on the road.

But, yeah, I agree.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived