NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's why I've posted in pretty much every supplier-change thread that people are dumb for always thinking "thank GODS supplier X is out.  Can't wait for supplier Y" when IT'S ALL THE GODSDAMNED SAME YOU IDIOTS.  When UA gets the contract, it'll be "can't wait for Nike to be out.  All hail UA!" then it'll be "ugh, when is UA out, they've RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!"

Until Nike starts pushing sleeved jerseys on every team, there is no equivalence between them and Adidas.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, kimball said:

Is there a reason why they've waited to start wearing the Statement jerseys? I looked for an explanation but couldn't find one. Is it to just "establish" the brand now before adding more? I wish they didn't wait, but I see the logic in that too.

The Statement uniforms will be available for purchase on Nike.com on the 20th of this month, so it seems like Nike has asked that the teams wait until then to debut them on the court.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's why I've posted in pretty much every supplier-change thread that people are dumb for always thinking "thank GODS supplier X is out.  Can't wait for supplier Y" when IT'S ALL THE GODSDAMNED SAME YOU IDIOTS.  When UA gets the contract, it'll be "can't wait for Nike to be out.  All hail UA!" then it'll be "ugh, when is UA out, they've RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!"

Can we all agree that Majestic has been really good

I've got to be honest. I don't ever recall being remotely excited about Nike getting the NBA contract. I never actually had a problem with Adidas. I wasn't over the moon about the sleeves since they were poorly executed and oddly emphasized gray for a lot of teams that never utilized it before, but there were a few sets that worked (specifically, the Nets and Magic). I just had this feeling that Nike wasn't going to surpass them. I've tried giving them the benefit of the doubt, but the rollout has been kind of bad. Some teams transitioned to the Nike template without issue (thankfully, the Magic are okay - just wish their black alt would've been carried over instead of the black set they unveiled a few months ago).

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The Statement uniforms will be available for purchase on Nike.com on the 20th of this month, so it seems like Nike has asked that the teams wait until then to debut them on the court.

Oh, okay, thank you, that makes sense. I thought that was when the community jerseys were being released. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Nike made Toronto  abandon the slogan "we the north"

Moving forward the Raptors will now use the slogan "North over everything"

The rumors are that Nike felt "we the north" was too closely associated with Adidas and wanted to put their own stamp on the franchise's identity.

33 minutes ago, kimball said:

Oh, okay, thank you, that makes sense. I thought that was when the community jerseys were being released. 

The community jerseys will be released sometime around the end of this month or early next month, but won’t be debuted on the court until Christmas or shortly thereafter. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Lakers wearing a road jersey they've worn for 60 years shouldn't depend on Nike's sales schedule. Especially since we all know what purple looks like.

This is all so dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, jerseyjunk said:

Nike made Toronto  abandon the slogan "we the north"

Moving forward the Raptors will now use the slogan "North over everything"

The rumors are that Nike felt "we the north" was too closely associated with Adidas and wanted to put their own stamp on the franchise's identity.

Or it could be that “We The North” was, and always has been, profoundly stupid. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

4 hours ago, kimball said:

Is there a reason why they've waited to start wearing the Statement jerseys? I looked for an explanation but couldn't find one. Is it to just "establish" the brand now before adding more? I wish they didn't wait, but I see the logic in that too.

The idea of establishing the Icon/Association is what I've been assuming. Also, allows Nike to do a slow roll-out with the Statement edition just before the holiday season, and the Community edition seemingly right around Christmas. Definitely feels like the marketing machine dictating the schedule to me.

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

You're wrong, We The North is still a slogan for Raptors, that what you said "North over everything", "Built over Bought", "Hustle over Hype" and "Grit over Given" are a new clothes colletcion.

For reals? Who comes up with this sh**?

Thought giving the NBA jerseys 4 different names was ridiculous enough!

8 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

Can we all agree that Majestic has been really good

For normal homes and roads? Decent if unremarkable, but homes and roads are usually a toss up as to whether you’re looking at Majestic’s vision or the team’s.

Now, the All-Star jerseys and caps, BP templates, holiday uniforms, and other items that are more of a true reflection of their design approach and how they work with the league? I’ve found those rather formulaic and lacking in presence for several years now.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Bring back Champion as the supplier. I agree with @mjd77

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

For normal homes and roads? Decent if unremarkable, but homes and roads are usually a toss up as to whether you’re looking at Majestic’s vision or the team’s.

Now, the All-Star jerseys and caps, BP templates, holiday uniforms, and other items that are more of a true reflection of their design approach and how they work with the league? I’ve found those rather formulaic and lacking in presence for several years now.

I personally think that's what has made majestic top notch. When they took over league wide the transition of teams looks to their template was seamless. 

For me the mark of a good manufacturer is how well they translate a teams look to their technology. From russell or rawlings to majestic the looks stayed consistent.

Can't say that about what nike has done. 

11 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

I personally think that's what has made majestic top notch. When they took over league wide the transition of teams looks to their template was seamless. 

For me the mark of a good manufacturer is how well they translate a teams look to their technology. From russell or rawlings to majestic the looks stayed consistent.

Can't say that about what nike has done. 

Majestic has its own foibles. The mesh inserts on MLB jerseys the past few years are horrendous. (Seriously, if you want a mesh insert down the entire side, why have two mesh pieces sewn together instead of one? How many seams do we need?)

Also: Majestic's inability to get colors right on replicas drives me nuts. Put an Indians navy authentic and replica next to each other. It's not even close. The replica is almost purple.

I will give Majestic a nod for keeping its maker's mark relatively unobtrusive on the sleeve. That's already strike one on UA based on what we've heard about 2019 and beyond.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:23 PM, coachcw_51 said:

Long-time lurker, but I've been following the site for years. I'm tracking the uniform match-ups and results for every game this season and have made some observations about how teams are/will be able to continually reinvent their looks throughout the season:

• With 2 exceptions, every team has worn compression tights and socks matching the base color of the uniform.
    • The Lakers wore yellow compression tights, and blue socks, with their throwbacks
    • The Spurs wore black tights and socks with their white uniform on 10/27 @ Orlando
  • While the tights have generally matched the uniform color, the sleeves and headbands are contrasting on a more frequent basis
  • According to the Hornets uni schedule, teams appear to have the option of wearing a different color for each part of the uniform (jersey/shorts, headbands/sleeves, tights, socks). There are several instances show them wearing three separate colors (such as the image below)

I'm also tracking the number of games involving "traditional" (home white, road dark) matchups, "inverse" and color v. color. That data is running on Monday's over at Uni Watch.

CHAJAN2.JPG

Welcome aboard! I was an extremely long time lurker before I joined. I know how it is. LOL.

shado_logo.gif

I'm wary of pinning every annoying trend on the manufacturer. Would be curious to hear if any teams were like "you know, we'd really rather have just two only, thanks" but were dragged kicking and screaming into the world of Statement jerseys. Remember that Adidas both showered the NBA in endless alts (some with sleeves) while at the same time dialing MLS and NHL both back to two jerseys per team, no alternate kits allowed.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived