NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

23 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Was it ever required?

I think the elimination of college lines is required for new court designs.  I want to say the rule was put in place around 2012 or so.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think the elimination of college lines is required for new court designs.  I want to say the rule was put in place around 2012 or so.

Why would the NBA want to require the elimination of college lines?  I thought that most NBA arenas also host college games on occasion.  Villanova's website says that the majority of its games in the upcoming season will be played at the Sixers' arena. So now a new floor has to be laid down for each one of those games?  Seems pretty weird.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Why would the NBA want to require the elimination of college lines?  I thought that most NBA arenas also host college games on occasion.  Villanova's website says that the majority of its games in the upcoming season will be played at the Sixers' arena. So now a new floor has to be laid down for each one of those games?  Seems pretty weird.

It does seem weird, but I'm assuming the NBA league office expects owners to have courts that are for NBA players only.  Verizon Center (Verizon for now, at least) hosts Georgetown games too, but two different courts are used.

46 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That's not necessarily true. The Sixers, Spurs, Knicks, Hawks, Bulls, and Celtics have all unveiled new court designs in the last couple of seasons that still featured the college lines. 

IMG_3846.PNG.9b79a68083239d2ddadbd6466ce7412e.PNG

IMG_3876.thumb.JPG.d52f7c271ee0038f9fad11f62a42d7b3.JPGIMG_3879.thumb.JPG.7e7bac411099fc7678aef22384ef0c8f.JPGIMG_3878.thumb.JPG.64e32bcdf949a0a8c41ace5459bed567.JPGIMG_3875.thumb.JPG.441109356e8881a49e36654eea508aa3.JPGIMG_3877.thumb.JPG.2e069ca7f7b8537f90decf1053600201.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

That's not necessarily true. The Sixers, Spurs, Knicks, Hawks, Bulls, and Celtics have all unveiled new court designs in the last couple of seasons that still feature the college lines. 

IMG_3846.PNG.9b79a68083239d2ddadbd6466ce7412e.PNG

IMG_3876.thumb.JPG.d52f7c271ee0038f9fad11f62a42d7b3.JPGIMG_3879.thumb.JPG.7e7bac411099fc7678aef22384ef0c8f.JPGIMG_3878.thumb.JPG.64e32bcdf949a0a8c41ace5459bed567.JPGIMG_3875.thumb.JPG.441109356e8881a49e36654eea508aa3.JPGIMG_3877.thumb.JPG.2e069ca7f7b8537f90decf1053600201.JPG

Ok - I must be misremembering...thanks for posting those.  The Spurs did have a court without the college lines a few years ago, IIRC though, and then came changes to LAL, Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas, Washington, Cleveland, et al that all did away with the college lines.  

EDIT:  You know what...that Spurs court I'm thinking of might be a Mandela effect.  Could have sworn they had solid black paint in the keys with no college lines, but I can't find a picture of it.

1 hour ago, gopistons899004 said:

Quick question, when did the NBA allow teams to eliminate the college lines?

Good question? Especially since there were a few courts in the '80s that didn't have them, especially All-Star Games.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Ok - I must be misremembering...thanks for posting those.  The Spurs did have a court without the college lines a few years ago, IIRC though, and then came changes to LAL, Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas, Washington, Cleveland, et al that all did away with the college lines.  

EDIT:  You know what...that Spurs court I'm thinking of might be a Mandela effect.  Could have sworn they had solid black paint in the keys with no college lines, but I can't find a picture of it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Spurs didn't have a court without the college lines. But you're definitely right that most of the teams who've changed their courts in recents years have done away with them, but I don't think it's a concrete rule. It might be the league's preference to have them removed, but it seems like teams are still able to have them if they so desire.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, labc93 said:

Heard that the Wizards are getting small changes to their current jerseys as soon as Nike takes over. Also, season ticket members will be receiving a Nike warm-up sweater. 

All I could think about is what if: what if Michael Jordan didn't get screwed by Washington; maybe he'd still be with the Wizards organization like he had planned and Washington would be the only team wearing Jordan next year.  Of course it's also interesting to think about what would've happened had Len Bias not passed away, but I digress.

Anyway, a Nike sweater sounds cool. But I guess if you paid that much for season tickets it's just a small price to pay for the organization as a token of their appreciation.

2 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

Oh, I really hope these sweet N98 track jackets will be available for NBA teams, too. I'd instantly buy one or two.

Nike has them for NFL teams, and they've had them for colleges as well, so I'd be surprised if they weren't available for NBA teams. Would make for a really nice leisurewear item, and it'd be something different from the assorted on-court gear.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

49 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Nike has them for NFL teams, and they've had them for colleges as well, so I'd be surprised if they weren't available for NBA teams. Would make for a really nice leisurewear item, and it'd be something different from the assorted on-court gear.

Can Nike make them yet or do they have to wait until the Adidas deal is officially over?

17 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Can Nike make them yet or do they have to wait until the Adidas deal is officially over?

They can't release any NBA merchandise until they officially take over the contract, which won't be until after the Finals are over.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

So to recap, who's confirmed for new uniforms so far?

•  Timberwolves 

•  Trailblazers 

•  Clippers? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

28 minutes ago, hokupguy said:

I really hope Nike gives teams their own warm-up , like in back in the day. Not the same one with there teams color and logo.

I really doubt it based off of what they've done for college and international teams in recent years. I'm expecting it to be very similar to Adidas, where there are several different warm-up styles for each team, but they're all templated. I'd say best case scenario is that each team has their own unique shooting shirts like the ones currently worn in the playoffs, but that's probably even a stretch for the regular season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Chawls said:

So to recap, who's confirmed for new uniforms so far?

•  Timberwolves 

•  Trailblazers 

•  Clippers? 

From @hendocfc and confirmed by @Conrad. and others.

Cavs,Pacers,Clippers,Wolves,Suns,Blazers, and (Will come back and edit). Should be 7-8 teams total.

Pistons are unconfirmed but rumored to have a tweak or two. 

shado_logo.gif

What's not clear is the extent to which those teams will be changing. Portland, and obviously Minnesota, are both undergoing complete redesigns, but I don't believe it's yet known how much the other teams will be changing (although it sounds like the Pistons' main set will just be receiving tweaks, and there will be some new alternates). But for the other teams it could just be small tweaks, could be new alternate logos and/or uniforms, or it could be complete overhauls to the logos and/or uniforms. And wasn't there a rumor about the Spurs changing as well?

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

35 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

From @hendocfc and confirmed by @Conrad. and others.

Cavs,Pacers,Clippers,Wolves,Suns,Blazers, and (Will come back and edit). Should be 7-8 teams total.

Pistons are unconfirmed but rumored to have a tweak or two. 

Sorry for double post.

That's not confirmed uniform changes, that's just confirmed changes for the 2017-18 season. A "change" could be constituted by a uniform and/or logo change for those teams.

Only confirmed uniform changes for next season is:

• Timberwolves
  • Trailblazers
  • Pacers
  • Clippers

Archived