NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

14 hours ago, kimball said:

I think he's complaining about the stupid Nike speak more than anything. Which I think we all kind of find ridiculous.

But in what way is "Association/Icon/Statement/City/Classic" ridiculous? It's just a title for a uniform. You can call it whatever you want to call it but for organizational and marketing purposes Nike had to give the uniforms some sort of title. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

But in what way is "Association/Icon/Statement/City/Classic" ridiculous? It's just a title for a uniform. You can call it whatever you want to call it but for organizational and marketing purposes Nike had to give the uniforms some sort of title. 

Because it's nothing more than glorified marketing speak and an unnecessary complication of wording.

patriotssignature.png

37 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

Simple. It muddles things/tradition/the known for no reason other than for kicks and giggles. What is wrong with:

1. Home

2. Away

3. Alt 1 (alt/throwback/civic pride)

4. Alt 2 (alt/throwback/civic pride)

We've known it to be that way for so long and people are used to it. Those Nikefied names have no soul, purpose or reasoning to them other than "marketing purposes" which is pretty pointless to everyone except Nike.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

51 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

Except I don't -- and won't -- know the difference among the various titles. They're nonsense words that have no practical meaning, especially when existing words (home, away, light, dark, classic, whatever) worked a whole lot better. And as long as the jerseys are falling apart, have poor visual contrast and/or look like trash, Nike doesn't get the benefit of people learning their dumb language.

2 hours ago, coachcw_51 said:

9 games last night, 9 home teams in white. First time since opening night that every home team has worn white.

And for an added bonus, the Lakers continued to wear their home jersey on the road, in yellow against the white Suns last night.

Can someone explain how Nike forcing the Lakers to withhold their purple jersey for a month and a half increases sales? I don't get that. People already know the Lakers have a purple jersey; they've had one for half a century. What's so special about Nike's version that it needs to be locked away for an arbitrary amount of time?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

38 minutes ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

Simple. It muddles things/tradition/the known for no reason other than for kicks and giggles. What is wrong with:

1. Home

2. Away

We've known it to be that way for so long and people are used to it. Those Nikefied names have no soul, purpose or reasoning to them other than "marketing purposes" which is pretty pointless to everyone except Nike.

The problem with that is that Home and Away no longer apply. These uniforms can be worn wherever teams choose. It would likely make even less sense to call the white uniform of the Bulls (a team which is wearing red at home) the home jersey. Those terms now mean even less than the Nike speak names. If you're going to name jerseys in this new era of 'wear it wherever' they have to be new and consistent. 

It would be understandable to have a problem with this new system or the names they came up with, but the names had to change.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

5 minutes ago, JTernup said:

The problem with that is that Home and Away no longer apply. These uniforms can be worn wherever teams choose. It would likely make even less sense to call the white uniform of the Bulls (a team which is wearing red at home) the home jersey. Those terms now mean even less than the Nike speak names. If you're going to name jerseys in this new era of 'wear it wherever' they have to be new and consistent. 

It would be understandable to have a problem with this new system or the names they came up with, but the names had to change.

If they had to change, that's an easy fix ...

1) White

2) Team Color

3) Alternate #1

4) Alternate #2

You don't need Nike corporate speak.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 minutes ago, Froob said:

Are there no holiday (Xmas, St Paddy's day, Spanish heritage) jerseys this season? Would be a big disappointment. Usually we see these (especially the Xmas) months ahead of time.

Nope.

Though Golden State has their Chinese New Year jersey coming back. Not sure if there's any Spanish or St. Patrick's jerseys planned? (Boston won't have their St. Patty's jersey, sadly).

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 minute ago, kimball said:

Nope.

Though Golden State has their Chinese New Year jersey coming back. Not sure if there's any Spanish or St. Patrick's jerseys planned? (Boston won't have their St. Patty's jersey, sadly).

Damn that's crappy. NBA always did a poor job selling those St Paddy's day jersey, rarely any available on NBA.com and Celtics store.

47 minutes ago, kimball said:

Nope.

The CNY jersey is supposedly their "Community jersey" so it's going to be considered part of their regular rotation - they may be wearing it other times.

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Except I don't -- and won't -- know the difference among the various titles. They're nonsense words that have no practical meaning, especially when existing words (home, away, light, dark, classic, whatever) worked a whole lot better. And as long as the jerseys are falling apart, have poor visual contrast and/or look like trash, Nike doesn't get the benefit of people learning their dumb language.

And for an added bonus, the Lakers continued to wear their home jersey on the road, in yellow against the white Suns last night.

Can someone explain how Nike forcing the Lakers to withhold their purple jersey for a month and a half increases sales? I don't get that. People already know the Lakers have a purple jersey; they've had one for half a century. What's so special about Nike's version that it needs to be locked away for an arbitrary amount of time?

You're just being salty. It's 5 words. For one, you know what "classic" means. That's pretty straightforward. The rest are just as descriptive as "home" or "away". What about "home" means white? In the NFL it tends to mean dark. What about "away" means anything? Not like everyone wears the same color when away. "Statement"/"icon" is just as descriptive. GET OVER IT.

7 hours ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

1. Home

2. Away

So you'd rather have 3+ options for the true title of "Alt 1" and "Alt 2" than "City" and "Statement". Okay.

Why bring up the "soul" of a name of a uniform when "soul" has nothing to do with Home/Away/Alt. The "Nikefied" names certainly have purpose and reasoning...your point is invalid.

27 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

You're just being salty. It's 5 words. For one, you know what "classic" means. That's pretty straightforward. The rest are just as descriptive as "home" or "away". What about "home" means white? In the NFL it tends to mean dark. What about "away" means anything? Not like everyone wears the same color when away. "Statement"/"icon" is just as descriptive. GET OVER IT.

What's Classic for the Lakers? Purple or gold? Same with Celtics. And then why would purple be statement and not icon?

This is all so stupid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Maybe it's like the Eagles green jerseys and Nike hasn't figured out how to make the color yet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

"Icon" and "Association" are in no way as descriptive as home or away, at least when home and away meant white and dark.

"Light", "Dark", "Alt", "Classic", "pride", would have been fine.  Even "pride" is silly.

Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - is asking their parents for a Lakers "association" jersey for the holidays, or a Sixers Embiid "icon" top.  It's absolutely silly, and counterproductive since few (if any) people will be able to keep the stupid names straight.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived