NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

Frankly having a team that reminds of something designed to do one thing(kill human beings) is pretty tasteless anyway IMO.

Considering guns aren't designed for the sole purpose to kill human beings (hunting? sport? self defense?) that's a weak argument. I don't find it tasteless, but insensitive ... yes. At least in areas where the crime rate and gun violence is prevalent. And, that was basically Pollin's reasoning for the name change 20 years ago. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're sensitive to the existence of the Washington Bullets because gun violence exists, you have the mind of a child. It just meant they were really fast! The logos didn't even have anything to do with bullets from the time they moved from Baltimore to DC -- maybe that's why they sold so poorly by the mid-'90s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pollin changed the name because his friend got assassinated half a world away. He gave negative craps about being the Bullets in a land of gun violence until then.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Pollin changed the name because his friend got assassinated half a world away. He gave negative craps about being the Bullets in a land of gun violence until then.

The decision to change the name happened before his friend was shot.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/02/why_abe_pollin_went_from_bulle.html

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

29 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If you're sensitive to the existence of the Washington Bullets because gun violence exists, you have the mind of a child. It just meant they were really fast! The logos didn't even have anything to do with bullets from the time they moved from Baltimore to DC -- maybe that's why they sold so poorly by the mid-'90s.

At the time, since gun violence was so prevalent in dc, I'm thinking he just didn't want the nation conotating gun violence with dc... look at Chicago nowadays, Chicago Bullets would probably make people cringe, cause gun violence is so common there now. Phoenix Bullets, just as an example, isn't too cringeworthy though... I haven't looked at any statistics, and I was too young at that time, but it sounds like dc had much worse gun violence at that point, maybe that's why Abe thought it was the right thing to do. I'd like them to go back to the Bullets. But I can see why Abe changed it when he did 

90758391980.gif

12 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

The Warriors released their uniform schedule for the full season. Here's the breakdown

Association- 28

Icon- 13

Statement- 14

Classic- 13

and a yet to be released jersey- 14

includes stretches of 9 straight (12/29-1/13) and 10 straight (2/6-3/2) games wearing alternates

With splits like that, isn’t every uniform an alternate? 

I don’t follow the NBA closely, so can anyone who does provide some insight into how all of the different uniforms are being perceived on telecasts and by fans in general outside this community? 

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

So no more Superman, no more bullet trains, no more bulletpoints? You're too woke, go back to bed.

Funny, when you're the one acting childish by insulting people when we're trying to have a civil discussion.

"Bullet" in our modern society is only rarely and colloquially used in the manner you're discussing.

In almost all instances the term "Bullet" in most people's minds will automatically reference the projectile fired from guns.

13 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

The Warriors released their uniform schedule for the full season. Here's the breakdown

Association- 28

Icon- 13

Statement- 14

Classic- 13

includes stretches of 9 straight (12/29-1/13) and 10 straight (2/6-3/2) games wearing alternates

Are they seriously gonna wear the Chinese New Year alts 14 Times?

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 12/2/2017 at 4:19 PM, DG_Now said:

DC United does a good job incorporating DC iconography without being over the top RWB:

new%20logo.png

Unfortunately, there's a hint of Third Reich, so you win some and lose some.

Honestly it's more than a hint. Always been a really bad look because of that in my opinion. Black/red/white + eagle no thanks

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

19 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

I liked the old one better

The skyline design just looks unfinished with plain yellow buildings on top of white mountains.  Looks cheap.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 12/3/2017 at 12:31 AM, OaklandIsBack said:

Association- 28

Icon- 13

Statement- 14

Classic- 13

Is there a link for this?

Archived