NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, colortv said:

Uhh...you do know where Toronto ripped off THEIR slogan, right?

No it's a new slogan for the Wolves while the Raptors has been around for a while.  Minnesota (Minneapolis) is further North than Toronto though so I don't mind.  Ultimately Portland could end the "North" slogans because they are the northernmost team currently but until they do it's a slogan that works well for the Wolves.

3 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

What a blatant ripoff of Toronto's slogan 

Yeah, since Toronto (and Minnesota for that fact) aren't even the northernmost team I have no problem with it. I'm just waiting for the Blazers to troll the crap out of the Raptors and T'Wolves on this one.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, lbj273 said:

No it's a new slogan for the Wolves while the Raptors has been around for a while.  Minnesota (Minneapolis) is further North than Toronto though so I don't mind.  Ultimately Portland could end the "North" slogans because they are the northernmost team currently but until they do it's a slogan that works well for the Wolves.

"No" what?

Toronto blatantly ripped off their slogan from George RR Martin and the Game of Thrones tv series/novels.

18 minutes ago, colortv said:

"No" what?

Toronto blatantly ripped off their slogan from George RR Martin and the Game of Thrones tv series/novels.

Uhh... regardless Toronto was the first team to make "the north" their thing. What Minnesota did is pretty sad. But par for the course with that franchise

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, colortv said:

"No" what?

The wording made it sound like Toronto ripped off the Wolves slogan.  I was aware of the GoT connection with their slogan but didn't make the connection when reading your post. I apologize for misinterpreting what you said.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

Um, no. Try again. 

The A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series makes a lot of references to the North, but to say the Raptors stole “We the North” from the series is ridiculous. 

In George RR Martin’s series? You have...

“The King in the North”

“The North remembers.” 

“The North is hard and cold, and has no mercy.”

Nowhere, at any point in that series, is the saying “we the north” used. Hell, no where is the phrase “we are the North” used. The closest you get would be a few characters saying “the North belongs to us,” and that’s said in the context of a Northern civil war. 

So no. The Raptors did not take “We the North” from Game of Thrones. They got the idea to build a brand around “the North” because they’re Canada’s lone NBA team. And how does one verse of Canadian national go?

With glowing hearts we see thee rise

The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

That’s where the Raptors got the idea for the “We the North” branding. It had nothing to do with George RR Martin’s fantasy series. 

I have to say. Claiming that the slogan came from Martin’s series is one of the bigger stretches I’ve seen someone try to make here. And that’s saying something. 

Here’s an article from three years ago, when the slogan was unveiled. 

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2014/04/17/toronto-raptors-launch-we-the-north-campaign-celebrating-canada/

The Toronto Raptors have launched a new marketing campaign called #WeTheNorth, celebrating the fact that they are the only NBA team in Canada.

And another from three years ago. An interview with then-MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/12364599

On the Raptors popular "We The North" marketing campaign:

To the credit of our marketing team and agency, they did a very good job early on of hearing (general manager) Masai (Ujiri) and I with our cultural anthem, which takes the negative and makes it a positive because it is. "We the North" is an opportunity to take the negatives and make people understand. ... You think people in Canada don't like basketball? Have you seen (2014 No. 1 draft pick Andrew) Wiggins? Have you seen (2013 No. 1 draft pick Anthony) Bennett? Have you seen the great players who now come from this country?

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Um, no. Try again. 

The A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series makes a lot of references to the North, but to say the Raptors stole “We the North” from the series is ridiculous. 

In George RR Martin’s series? You have...

“The King in the North”

“The North remembers.” 

“The North is hard and cold, and has no mercy.”

Nowhere, at any point in that series, is the saying “we the north” used. Hell, no where is the phrase “we are the North” used. The closest you get would be a few characters saying “the North belongs to us,” and that’s said in the context of a Northern civil war. 

So no. The Raptors did not take “We the North” from Game of Thrones. They got the idea to build a brand around “the North” because they’re Canada’s lone NBA team. And how does one verse of Canadian national go?

With glowing hearts we see thee rise

The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

That’s where the Raptors got the idea for the “We the North” branding. It had nothing to do with George RR Martin’s fantasy series. 

I have to say. Claiming that the slogan came from Martin’s series is one of the bigger stretches I’ve seen someone try to make here. And that’s saying something. 

Here’s an article from three years ago, when the slogan was unveiled. 

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2014/04/17/toronto-raptors-launch-we-the-north-campaign-celebrating-canada/

And another from three years ago. An interview with then-MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/12364599

...You can't possibly be serious.

You think it's just a coincidence that it came out when Game of Thrones was reaching the peak of it's popularity in pop culture?

It's just a coincidence that the whole idea of "The North" in GOT revolves around the fact that the region is "distinct and separate" in many aspects from the rest of the 7 kingdoms(a la Toronto/Canada to the US)?

I mean all it takes is a shred of common sense to know where they got the inspiration given the timing.

“We the North” plays on Toronto’s outsider status in a league where it’s the only non-American team. Part of the campaign’s force comes from avoiding any mention of Canada. As a word, “Canada” is itself too closely aligned to sugar shacks, hockey games, and donuts. The Raptors described their playoff season as “the northern uprising,” deftly replacing the suggestion of toques and canoes with that of wolf pelts and helms from HBO series Game of Thrones’ rebellious northerners. Thanks largely to Game of Thrones, the “North” exists in the contemporary cultural imaginary as a region of outsiders and rebels. On the show, the “King in the North” brings an army down on the southern realms in a bid to have their sovereignty recognized. It’s an appealing narrative for an NBA team with a spotty record, especially one that exists as the lone representative of its own sovereign nation (after the Vancouver Grizzlies moved south to Memphis).

http://towncrier.puritan-magazine.com/ephemera/we-the-north/

Even the visual branding is similar:

game-of-thrones-king-of-the-north-hoodie

screen-shot-2014-04-17-at-2-34-31-pm.png

On 12/15/2017 at 9:06 AM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

The mavs was a complete fail. Why DAL, I mean it’s on the ticker but it’s not as synonymous like ATL or LAC. Looks like a really bad 2k concept. Also the font is way to big.

Also I don’t get how space relates to magic. 

Dallas was too long and wouldn't fit

7 hours ago, insert name said:

Wrong, you say? Unpopular Opinion rant, GO:

1. The font used for this set & the one after it is bland, boring & doesn't pop like the original wordmark did. 

2. The back of the purple jersey was black.... but not the shorts. This would be fine if the back on the white jersey was purple while the shorts were white, but it's white as well. Why have the back be a different colour on one jersey & not the other? 

3, The chevrons on the side of the jersey..... what do they add/represent? Nothing. They're just there to allow the jersey to have some silver. Say what you will, at least the pinstripes had a purpose on the original set with there unique design. 

4. The white jersey was devoid of black for no reason. 

5, The shorts had a tramp stamp on them. 

6. The older jerseys had more flair. Sure they were cheesy, but at least they look good. These look like they were made to be hip & failed big time. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

6 hours ago, jmatt116 said:

Dallas was too long and wouldn't fit

I mean if they shrieked the font (which it desperately needs) it would fit,

Also looking at the lids caps it looks like the mavs are going to use neon green, missed opportunity 

Excellent!

6 hours ago, colortv said:

...You can't possibly be serious.

You think it's just a coincidence that it came out when Game of Thrones was reaching the peak of it's popularity in pop culture?

It's just a coincidence that the whole idea of "The North" in GOT revolves around the fact that the region is "distinct and separate" in many aspects from the rest of the 7 kingdoms(a la Toronto/Canada to the US)?

I'm entirely serious.

O Canada was written in 1880 and became the national anthem in 1980. Both of which predate Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. So yes. I'm serious. I know it may be hard for you to believe, but we Canadians have been thinking of our country as "the North" long before we ever heard of George RR Martin or Game of Thrones.

I mean all it takes is a shred of common sense to know where they got the inspiration given the timing.

“We the North” plays on Toronto’s outsider status in a league where it’s the only non-American team. Part of the campaign’s force comes from avoiding any mention of Canada. As a word, “Canada” is itself too closely aligned to sugar shacks, hockey games, and donuts. The Raptors described their playoff season as “the northern uprising,” deftly replacing the suggestion of toques and canoes with that of wolf pelts and helms from HBO series Game of Thrones’ rebellious northerners. Thanks largely to Game of Thrones, the “North” exists in the contemporary cultural imaginary as a region of outsiders and rebels. On the show, the “King in the North” brings an army down on the southern realms in a bid to have their sovereignty recognized. It’s an appealing narrative for an NBA team with a spotty record, especially one that exists as the lone representative of its own sovereign nation (after the Vancouver Grizzlies moved south to Memphis).

http://towncrier.puritan-magazine.com/ephemera/we-the-north/

Congratulations. You found one article, where the author puts forth their opinion that it ties in with GoT. They didn't quote any MLSE or Raptors officials, they didn't source anything. They're only doing what you're doing. Spewing speculation.

Meanwhile I provided two timely articles on the "We the North" slogan unveiling, one of which being an interview with the then-MLSE CEO. References were made to Canada being "the North" but no mention of Game of Thrones.

Even the visual branding is similar:

In what ways are these similar? The font's different. The layout is different. It wouldn't have been that hard to put "We the North" over a stylised Raptor head similar to how "King of the North" is placed over the Stark dire wolf, if that was indeed the intent. All you have is a similar but different colour layout and the word "north."

You're reaching. Again, it's not hard to find Canadians referring to Canada as "the North" in material that pre-dates George RR Martin. Come on, man.

Surprised there's so much love for the OKC grey jersey. I find it annoying when teams don't even use their color palette with the alts. Especially Cleveland....New York, Phoenix and OKC should have done orange jerseys. The OKC design is cool but, why do they have a grey jersey?

Archived