NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

51 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They're the Silver and Black. What are they doing in white pants and socks? It makes them look soft. I mean sure, the silver numbers are nice, but not nice enough to offset the silly tights look.

Besides, the Raiders should be flouting leaguewide initiatives on general principle.

You heard it hear first. White pants make a team look soft. The last few pages of this thread have seriously made my head hurt

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, the admiral said:

They're the Silver and Black. What are they doing in white pants and socks? It makes them look soft. I mean sure, the silver numbers are nice, but not nice enough to offset the silly tights look.

Besides, the Raiders should be flouting leaguewide initiatives on general principle.

I think they wore all white because Al and Mark Davis always wear all white so they just went with a "regular away look" but tied it to the 1963 and 1970 seasons with the silver numbers. They get away with doing it but not straying too far away from the Raider look. I personally wanted them to go with all black in honor of the Black Hole. The fanbase would be way into an all black uniform.

Nontheless, this isn't even on topic anymore so I'll put it back on topic...

This Nike NBA rollout hasn't been very good, not for the designs, but just for the general stupidity going on. You got the Lakers not being allowed to wear purple for a month, jerseys are constantly ripping, doing away with Home and Away labels, Ad patches, and finally the City uniforms have debuted AFTER the Holidays and they won't even be worn until late January! All of this just hasn't been very good and I expected better from one of the biggest sports companies in the world.

bSLCtu2.png

5 hours ago, djam2410 said:

You heard it hear first. White pants make a team look soft.

Not a team, just this one. I'm a big fan of all-white on the Bears and Colts, just not here. They look like marshmallows.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Teal said:

So when is the first City uni debuting on court?

Everything I have gathered from teams on their websites looks around January 20th or so.

Still gathering dates and updating my uni tracker as well.  Been swamped with life as of late.

I would think/hope Memphis' would be ready to go for their 1/15 game, since that's the whole point of the uniform.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

13 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I would think/hope Memphis' would be ready to go for their 1/15 game, since that's the whole point of the uniform.

You are right.  I do recall seeing that with the announcement the Grizzlies made is the first time it will be worn is in two weeks.  Still a shame the NBA could not have the City jerseys ready before Christmas.  Seems like a misfire on their part

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

This Nike NBA rollout hasn't been very good, not for the designs, but just for the general stupidity going on. You got the Lakers not being allowed to wear purple for a month, jerseys are constantly ripping, doing away with Home and Away labels, Ad patches, and finally the City uniforms have debuted AFTER the Holidays and they won't even be worn until late January! All of this just hasn't been very good and I expected better from one of the biggest sports companies in the world.

I was pretty excited when Nike got the NBA contract, remembering how good of a job they did back in the late 90s/early 00s when they outfitted 8 teams. Everything was high quality back then, there was some degree of individuality to warmups (Pistons and Celtics warmups had elements of their classic 80s style warmups for example), and they did a good job spearheading several teams uniform designs in that timeframe.

So yeah, how poorly things have gone so far has been a disappointment. I’m not a fan of most of the statement and city jerseys, quality doesn’t seem to be great, everything is templated, and merchandise rollout and availability is sparse. I still prefer it over Adidas, but that might be because I’ve always been a bit of a Nike fanboy.

43 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

So yeah, how poorly things have gone so far has been a disappointment. I’m not a fan of most of the statement and city jerseys, quality doesn’t seem to be great, everything is templated, and merchandise rollout and availability is sparse. I still prefer it over Adidas, but that might be because I’ve always been a bit of a Nike fanboy.

Having hardly any apparel available is just infuriating to me.  They had at least a year to get this figured out and they couldn't have screwed it up much worse.  I was expecting an NFL-like variety right out of the gate.  Instead we get maybe an item or 2 trickling out every month and even then availability seems to be very limited.  I guess if Nike doesn't want my money so be it.

Next year, the Lakers should make a switch.

Go back to the gold at home, purple on the road, white as your statement and whatever asinine jersey you want as your "City". Shouldn't be that complicated.  That is the one nitpick I have that comes to mind

21 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Next year, the Lakers should make a switch.

Go back to the gold at home, purple on the road, white as your statement and whatever asinine jersey you want as your "City". Shouldn't be that complicated.  That is the one nitpick I have that comes to mind

The white jerseys definitively don't pop as much anymore now that they wear them all the time.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Putting AFL logos in the endzone during the NFL's "EVERYTHING'S GOLD BECAUSE SUPER BOWL 50" season was one of the greatest things a football team has ever done.

5 hours ago, tohasbo said:

You are right.  I do recall seeing that with the announcement the Grizzlies made is the first time it will be worn is in two weeks.  Still a shame the NBA could not have the City jerseys ready before Christmas.  Seems like a misfire on their part

Is it a misfire though? Obviously I don’t have the numbers, but I betcha the Christmas sales were heavy on Statement jersey sales. Why cut into those sales with a second new jersey? You’re really creating a second rush after Christmas with the city jersey release. Driven by $$$.

I think the biggest misstep was not allowing the Lakers to wear purple during the first month. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Zilla2K said:

Suns jerseys have a light purple back (like the old Raptors) with a constellation on it, not sure how I feel about it

devin-booker-city-edition-swingman-jerse

Here's the quote from the Suns website: "The back of the jersey is inspired by the Phoenix constellation and the star at the center of our solar system."

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:
14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Putting AFL logos in the endzone during the NFL's "EVERYTHING'S GOLD BECAUSE SUPER BOWL 50" season was one of the greatest things a football team has ever done.

When the USFL brought its antitrust suit against the NFL, not only were the Raiders the only NFL team not named as defendants, but Al Davis testified for the USFL against the NFL.  That forever marks the Raiders as The Good Guys, even despite Davis's son's clumsiness (and hair). 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived