NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

2 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Next year, the Lakers should make a switch.

Go back to the gold at home, purple on the road, white as your statement and whatever asinine jersey you want as your "City". Shouldn't be that complicated.  That is the one nitpick I have that comes to mind

Not going to happen.

With the elimination of home and road designation, the white jerseys are the Association Edition which is essentially the home, the gold are the icon which was essentially the road and then the statement was the purple.

The problem was Nike wasn’t allowing teams to wear the Statement jerseys until a month into the season. I’m not sure if they’ll do that again if there won’t be any changes with the Statement jerseys (shouldn’t be with the Lakers, you’d think), but that was peeve of mine this year too.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zilla2K said:

Don't know if this was talked about or revealed, but it looks like some teams will designs on the socks. Clippers have the sails, and Pelicans had green and yellow stripes around them

Yep, all the teams will have special city edition socks. 11 teams already have theirs available on Fanatics and the NBA Store:

https://www.fanatics.com/?query=NIke City edition Elite quick crew

And the Hawks have theirs available on their own site:

https://www.hawksshop.com/volt-and-black/nike-city-edition-elite-quick-crew-socks.html

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 minutes ago, kimball said:

Not going to happen.

With the elimination of home and road designation, the white jerseys are the Association Edition which is essentially the home, the gold are the icon which was essentially the road and then the statement was the purple.

The problem was Nike wasn’t allowing teams to wear the Statement jerseys until a month into the season. I’m not sure if they’ll do that again if there won’t be any changes with the Statement jerseys (shouldn’t be with the Lakers, you’d think), but that was peeve of mine this year too.

I try really hard not to be a tradition guy, but what Nike has done to the Lakers has really bothered me. 50 years of wearing yellow at home, purple on the road and, more recently, white on Sundays was trashed for no good reason other than to sell jerseys (I guess?) that haven't functionally changed in decades.

It's all so stupid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, Conrad. said:

devin-booker-city-edition-swingman-jerse

Here's the quote from the Suns website: "The back of the jersey is inspired by the Phoenix constellation and the star at the center of our solar system."

Looks better IRL than in the game, 2K's weird colors made it look worse

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I try really hard not to be a tradition guy, but what Nike has done to the Lakers has really bothered me. 50 years of wearing yellow at home, purple on the road and, more recently, white on Sundays was trashed for no good reason other than to sell jerseys (I guess?) that haven't functionally changed in decades.

It's all so stupid.

Agreed, but with the new association and statement being more loose on rules, and the ability to choose what uniform you want to wear, do the lakers even need a white jersey?

Excellent!

Personally, I never thought the Lakers needed white. I didn't mind when it was purple/gold/throwback. They could do that now and it would be all right. Plus that Kobe snake jersey. 

The white is superfluous. Doubly so when worn on the road.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 12/27/2017 at 12:04 PM, msu said:

I'm surprised the Pistons and Nike don't embrace a black alternate with the skull and crossbones for the Pistons. The bland navy and Motor City stuff is uninspiring. I think the Pistons were the league leaders in apparel sales (or close to the top) when they embraced the skull and crossbones.

Something similar to this with a Swoosh would sell like crazy.

IMG_0076.jpg

https://imgur.com/vxolHnA

On 12/28/2017 at 5:27 AM, andrewharrington said:

I can't figure out why the "L" flag is grey instead of yellow. Yellow isn't a team color, obviously, but in the context of this uniform, neither are the other colors in the flags, least of all grey. Grey instead of yellow sucks all the life out of that flag graphic.

Regardless, I've been saying it for a decade and it still holds up: these should be the Clippers' permanent colors.

I also like the type layout on the Wolves' grey jersey. I would have preferred all the jerseys follow that.

I’m not sure why that is. They have the nautical flags above the Nike tag on the regular uniforms and those have a lot of grey too.

19 hours ago, projectjohn said:

So yeah, how poorly things have gone so far has been a disappointment. I’m not a fan of most of the statement and city jerseys, quality doesn’t seem to be great, everything is templated, and merchandise rollout and availability is sparse. I still prefer it over Adidas, but that might be because I’ve always been a bit of a Nike fanboy.

Dude, tell me about it. I'm a Hawks fan and they only have one Nike jersey available on their official store, and it's only customizable. I mean at least put Schröder up there. The guy has been on the team since 2013. 

Not sure if that's the case for other teams that don't have superstar players though. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Dude, tell me about it. I'm a Hawks fan and they only have one Nike jersey available on their official store, and it's only customizable. I mean at least put Schröder up there. The guy has been on the team since 2013. 

Not sure if that's the case for other teams that don't have superstar players though. 

I don’t know about the website, but all there is in-stadium is Gordon. I don’t think the Nike takeover could have gone worse, both aesthetically and logistically.

ExJworW.png

Not going to lie, this was an annoying matchup between the Lakers and Clippers last night. I wish the Clips wore their blue or red jerseys. I just see two teams wearing their "home" jerseys (which obviously works considering the venue).

Still ... ugh.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, Teal said:

All is all, I think the City sets have been a success. 

I'd say MAYBE 50% successful. It's hard to get behind some of the designs, while some nailed it -- like the Jazz, Bulls and Blazers. 

I am excited to see how this will all playout the next 2-3 years with a new city design each year. Hopefully those teams who mailed it in will catch the spirit of the jersey and come up with some great designs with better connections to their community.

kimball banner.png

25 minutes ago, kimball said:

Not going to lie, this was an annoying matchup between the Lakers and Clippers last night. I wish the Clips wore their blue or red jerseys. I just see two teams wearing their "home" jerseys (which obviously works considering the venue).

Still ... ugh.

It just looks odd for the visiting team to wear white in basketball. I don’t mind if the home team wants to wear a color, but the visiting team should wear a contrasting color if that’s the situation.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, Teal said:

All is all, I think the City sets have been a success. 

I disagree. I only really like Washington’s, and that’s more because it amuses me than it being legitimately good. 

Most others serve no purpose other than to muddle existing team brands. 

Which is a downright travesty when the teams in question, like the Bulls, Lakers, and Celtics, have so much brand equity wrapped up in their standard home and road looks. 

12 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Is there truly one good city uniform? I think not! 

I’m not convinced there is one. 

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

It just looks odd for the visiting team to wear white in basketball. I don’t mind if the home team wants to wear a color, but the visiting team should wear a contrasting color if that’s the situation.

I've grown accustomed to it when the home team is wearing anything darker than gold or orange. But, my mind automatically goes to home vs. home jerseys with gold or orange. But, I'd much rather have color vs. color when possible.

26 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Is there truly one good city uniform? I think not! 

I think there are a couple solid city uniforms ... Denver, Portland, Atlanta and Memphis. Even the far out ones like Utah, Chicago, Miami and Boston are good. Other than that ... meh.

kimball banner.png

Archived