NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

To those readers who have seen this lament of mine before, I ask forgiveness as I deliver it again.

Think of Magic Johnson.  You see in your mind the word "Lakers".  Think of Tom Seaver.  You see in your mind the word "Mets".  Now think of David Beckham.  What word do you see in your mind?  "Sharp".  "Herbalife".  Think of Thierry Henry.  You see "O2".

That is the point of these ads.  In the future, when you think back on the great moments of the coming season, you will have no choice but to envision the GE logo.  Companies pay for jersey sponsorships because what they are really buying is not space on a jersey, but space in our memories.  It is a kind of pollution.

Also, don't discount the subconscious influence.  As I look back at my purchases of a television and two phones, all from Samsung, I cannot rule out the influence from the constant exposure to that name on Chelsea's shirt for several years.  This is not to suggest that the products are bad; every Samsung product that I have bought has been great.  (And none have exploded -- I didn't buy the Note 7.)  And it's not to say that I wouldn't have bought them even if Chelsea's shirts had had a different advertiser logo or no advertiser logo. 

But, if I am honest, I have to admit that I probably tilted towards that manufacturer on account of the familiarity caused by the shirt sponsorship.  It is this familiarity effect -- and not any kind of reasoned analysis that would have a person say "GE has a patch on the Celtics' jersey; therefore its products must be of high quality" -- that companies are going for.

I do think of O2 when I think of Henry but I still have no idea what O2 is or what they do. :P

I think the practice of ads on NBA jerseys is one of the darkest days in the history of the sport. With that said, as far as ads go, this GE one isn't so bad. There will come a time though when the company's themselves have ugly and intrusive logos to begin with and they begin clashing with the respective team's aesthetic, then the league will have really hit amateur hour.

32 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

Besides it being considered to be a modernization of a classic brand, do we have any news or rumors on the Portland Trail Blazers new logos and jerseys?

There isn't any new news on that front other than what you mentioned but the Blazers' president did say before the season that they'll unveil it sometime in the Spring.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

12 hours ago, BrianLion said:

GE. We bring good things to life. Except for Kelly Olnyk. No one's making that guy good. 

At GE we don't make a lot of the things you buy. We make a lot of the things you buy, better.

Except for these Boston jerseys. Whatever the opposite of better is that's these things.

1 hour ago, JerseyJosh said:

I just want there to be one team like "no we're good. That **** is ugly and we rather just keep it bare". 

But that hat will never happen because who doesn't want more money?

Are there any owners/presidents/GM's that are strict/traditionalist about that kind of stuff in the NBA? I don't know about his current policies, but when Lou Lamoriello was with the Devils, he was so old school that there is no way he would ever accept even a third jersey, and no shot in hell would he allow an advertisement on the jersey. 

I'm thinking maybe San Antonio would be resist the temptation of putting an ad?

15 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Are there any owners/presidents/GM's that are strict/traditionalist about that kind of stuff in the NBA? I don't know about his current policies, but when Lou Lamoriello was with the Devils, he was so old school that there is no way he would ever accept even a third jersey, and no shot in hell would he allow an advertisement on the jersey. 

I'm thinking maybe San Antonio would be resist the temptation of putting an ad?

I'm hoping at one point Pop becomes commish, shuts this whole operation down

1 hour ago, JerseyJosh said:

I just want there to be one team like "no we're good. That **** is ugly and we rather just keep it bare". 

It was an NBA decision, I dont think teams have the ability to not go there if a sponsor wants to pony up. 

7 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

It was an NBA decision, I dont think teams have the ability to not go there if a sponsor wants to pony up. 

You don't think a team has the ability to go sponsor-less? I don't think the NBA can FORCE a team to have a sponsor.

2 hours ago, JerseyJosh said:

If there's anyone who might refuse jersey ads, it's Steve Ballmer and Paul Allen. Mainly because they're mega-rich compared to other sports owners let alone the general public and the revenue from selling ads on the jersey would be like pocket change to them.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

You don't think a team has the ability to go sponsor-less? I don't think the NBA can FORCE a team to have a sponsor.

Why not? The NBA FORCES teams to do a lot of things be it arena requirements, salary cap, uniform regulations, etc. This is just another one. .  Although this is probably a moot point to argue since no one is going to turn down the sponsorship dollars if other teams do. NBA teams don't tend to be a bunch of sacrosanct buttholes like the Green Bay Packers. 

It is interesting how for a sport like soccer, I could probably name every team in the MLS's sponsor, but unless it is something obvious (Alaska Airlines) I stil have no idea what the company actually does. I have no Idea what Avaya, Bimbo, BMO, Advocare, Bell, ect. are

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

It is interesting how for a sport like soccer, I could probably name every team in the MLS's sponsor, but unless it is something obvious (Alaska Airlines) I stil have no idea what the company actually does. I have no Idea what Avaya, Bimbo, BMO, Advocare, Bell, ect. are

My personal favorite. 

041212-freddy-adu-400.jpg

the connotation of the word "bimbo" aside, Bimbo is one of those cases where the parent company is WAY less well known than the brands it owns  (Sara Lee, Thomas' English Muffins, Entenmann's, Ball Park) 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Will jersey sponsor revenue be shared league revenue, or just local?

"NBA teams will keep half of the money generated by selling sponsorships on jerseys, and that half will be further split in two, with one portion going to the individual team that does the deal and the other going to a revenue-sharing pool. The half that does not go to the teams will be split with the players and will contribute to a rising salary cap."

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived