NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m just not a fan of this new Cavaliers identity. There is so much rich ephemera in the city that there’s really no excuse for type that lacks personality, yet they keep doing it. Say what you will about the current lettering, though, it may be a free font and it may be boring, but it’s more polished than these clunkers. Even competent kerning would have gone a long way toward improving the new one. The logo suite just looks very generic and stock in every way.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

6 minutes ago, JerseyJosh said:

Hustle > Clippers

dont know what Clippers will end up with but I feel this is a safe bet. 

You mean in terms of uniforms?  G-League Clippers have that Agua Caliente logo...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, mike2sana said:

5099.gif

This is one of my favorite obscure ABA I believe unused logos. I wonder if this served as some inspiration

Yes, unused. 

Possibly, it was the relocated Memphis team that moved to Baltimore. But, what's interesting is that Hustlers was vetoed for obvious reasons -- thus, changing it to Claws.

Which by the way is one of my favorite ABA logos ...

Baltimore_Claws.gif

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

You mean in terms of uniforms?  G-League Clippers have that Agua Caliente logo...

I thought they were getting a new primary? I thought I saw a concept of it somewhere but I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

RE: Cavs New Logos

I thought someone previously said that NBA mandates some sort of roundel logo when a team re-brands.  How come the Cavs don't have one?

1w58.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

10 hours ago, mike2sana said:

5099.gif

This is one of my favorite obscure ABA I believe unused logos. I wonder if this served as some inspiration

I have a tshirt with this logo on it. Absolutely love the story behind it. 

Also loving the Memphis Hustlers name and branding, though I'm thrown off a bit by the red color. I read the Grizzlies' explanation for it, but that doesn't make it any less weird to me. 

1 hour ago, CLEstones said:

Being serious.  I swear I thought that's why the Bucks, Raptors, and Hawks all had roundels.

Not roundel, but a basketball or a hint of a basketball in any of the logos, i.e. the primary doesn't have to have a ball.

29 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Not roundel, but a basketball or a hint of a basketball in any of the logos, i.e. the primary doesn't have to have a ball.

Yes, but even that isn't actually a rule, it's just something that the league encourages teams to include in their new logo packages. That's why the Blazers don't have a basketball, or at least the suggestion of one, in any of their new logos. And my guess is that the league is willing to give a bit more leeway to teams who've historically refrained from including a basketball in their identities. In the case of the Blazers, they had the dreadful flaming basketball secondary logo for a few years in the mid-2000's, but their identity always has and likely always will center around the pinwheel, and the league was probably willing to make an exception to the so-called rule instead of making them include a basketball in a logo that would probably hardly ever be used. And I would assume the same will be true for the Spurs' upcoming logo tweaks/changes since their identity has never featured a basketball and the Spur icon is such a strong and identifiable logo for that franchise. The Bulls would likely be put in the same category if they were ever to update their logos since, aside from using a basketball as part of their center court logo in the past, they've never used one in their official logo package.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

Who knows what the rules are these days?

In the early 00s you had to wait a year for an alternate uniform, later in the decade you couldn't have a BFBS jersey unless if was prominently in your color scheme, then for sometime earlier in this decade you couldn't bring back an old logo as your primary logo, then you had to have a basketball in the logo and city and team name.

But, it changes. And, with Nike in play now -- who knows what's going to be the new set of rules?

kimball banner.png

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

RE: Cavs New Logos

I thought someone previously said that NBA mandates some sort of roundel logo when a team re-brands.  How come the Cavs don't have one?

Yeah I think it's a trend or a fad, maybe encouraged by the NBA, but not a rule.  The Kings and Pistons don't have roundel logos.

4 hours ago, JerseyJosh said:

I thought they were getting a new primary? I thought I saw a concept of it somewhere but I could be wrong. 

You have me confused...are you comparing the Hustle to the LA Clippers or the Agua Caliente Clippers?

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Being serious.  I swear I thought that's why the Bucks, Raptors, and Hawks all had roundels.

No just a logo needs to have the city and team name in it and roundel is the easiest/laziest way to do that.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah I think it's a trend or a fad, maybe encouraged by the NBA, but not a rule.  The Kings and Pistons don't have roundel logos.

Maybe it was a rule but like @kimball said, rules can change from year to year or even on the spot.  Wonder if the Cavs even had to get approval to wear their black, sleeved shirts in the Finals last year.

Link from the Atlanta logo release:
http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/05/22/atlanta-hawks-trademark-new-logo/

Archived