NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I got my hopes up for decent branding for Memphis' G-League team after how nice Iowa's new logos were. Consider me disappointed. 

I'm actually shocked the identity/colors weren't tied to the parent club.  I thought that's what everybody would be doing going forward.

12 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I got my hopes up for decent branding for Memphis' G-League team after how nice Iowa's new logos were. Consider me disappointed. 

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I really like the "Hustle's" brand. Its fresh, fun, and nostalgic in a non gimmicky way.

ATL

4 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I'm actually shocked the identity/colors weren't tied to the parent club.  I thought that's what everybody would be doing going forward.

It kind of reminds me of the Memphis Sounds which is cool. I suppose it makes more sense to be more separate in their branding when they're as close together as the Memphis teams are compared to Minnesota and Iowa.

2 hours ago, mike2sana said:

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I really like the "Hustle's" brand. Its fresh, fun, and nostalgic in a non gimmicky way.

I like the idea of a 70s-style brand reminiscent of the old Memphis Sounds. I just don't like the execution of the logo. Having a wordmark inside the Grizzly silhouette just comes off as lazy and looks bad. 

11 minutes ago, alecgoff said:

Why did the Hustle choose a random color scheme?

Memphis hustle eh  r e g e tgef.png

It's not random. From the press release:

"The vibrant red color pays homage to historical sports franchises like the Sounds, Chicks, Showboats, and Americans and current regional teams like the Redbirds and Ole Miss Rebels."

And the Grizzlies themselves just wore the red and white Memphis Sounds throwbacks last season:

IMG_4702.JPG.3e42d4d3908fe962ec88d94e9f5d607c.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, Webfooter said:

Get the feeling that the Hustle's uniforms will be similar to those Sounds ones.

Except with lots of ads ...

Logos.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

So the last few days I've been going over social media (especially Washington Wizards) and came across a logo that was used during these playoffs but not during the season. I believe it's one of their new logos. 

IMG_0545.JPG

14 minutes ago, labc93 said:

So the last few days I've been going over social media (especially Washington Wizards) and came across a logo that was used during these playoffs but not during the season. I believe it's one of their new logos. 

IMG_0545.JPG

Yikes. That is one overdesigned mess. The "DC" doesn't seem to belong with their identity at all, and the Washington Monument is barely noticeable.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:31 PM, habsfan1 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Grizzles make a change to their brand, to better represent the regional culture of Memphis.

Even a name change would be welcome to me.

Get back to the Memphis Sounds.  Get back red as their primary color (a lack of red has happened not just in the NBA, but in the major pro sports as well) and call it a day!!!

On 6/3/2017 at 3:02 PM, upperV03 said:

It's not random. From the press release:

"The vibrant red color pays homage to historical sports franchises like the Sounds, Chicks, Showboats, and Americans and current regional teams like the Redbirds and Ole Miss Rebels."

And the Grizzlies themselves just wore the red and white Memphis Sounds throwbacks last season:

IMG_4702.JPG.3e42d4d3908fe962ec88d94e9f5d607c.JPG

For some strange and funky reason I actually love the retro uniforms, I wouldn't even mind having one of those for my uniform collection.  With that being said, go back to the Sounds nickname (fits the city well), but let's forget the mid 70s numeric font and NOB lettering, and go modern with red obviously as their primary color.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:11 AM, WSU151 said:

You mean in terms of uniforms?  G-League Clippers have that Agua Caliente logo...

Sorry for the delay - I mean in terms of logo. Thought Clippers were making a change to the primary. I thought a  concept was visible on some screenshot (maybe regarding Pistons leak) posted here a little while back. 

I'll just see my way out now. 

A couple interesting things in this Fox Sports interview with the NBA's vice president of global partnerships, Lisa Piken Koper. The interview is about the upcoming switch to Nike and the logistics behind it. She mentions that the global launch will be 10/1/17, but I believe that only applies to the retail side and not the actual unveiling of the uniforms. I could be wrong on that though. And then at the end of the interview she mentions that Nike will be taking over as the official on-court sock provider starting next season. Stance can continue to make NBA licensed lifestyle socks, but Nike will be in charge of the on-court product.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/heres-what-we-know-about-the-nbas-uniform-switch-to-nike-next-season-060617

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

12 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

A couple interesting things in this Fox Sports interview with the NBA's vice president of global partnerships, Lisa Piken Koper. The interview is about the upcoming switch to Nike and the logistics behind it. She mentions that the global launch will be 10/1/17, but I believe that only applies to the retail side and not the actual unveiling of the uniforms. I could be wrong on that though. And then at the end of the interview she mentions that Nike will be taking over as the official on-court sock provider starting next season. Stance can continue to make NBA licensed lifestyle socks, but Nike will be in charge of the on-court product.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/heres-what-we-know-about-the-nbas-uniform-switch-to-nike-next-season-060617

Stance has significantly disccounted NBA on-court socks on their site in the past few days.

Pretty disappointing development. I thought Stance did good work making unique designs that fit with the existing uniforms and made a nice product. Interested to see if Nike continues the team specific socks or goes back to generic ones.

9 minutes ago, NickSixers said:

Stance has significantly disccounted NBA on-court socks on their site in the past few days.

Pretty disappointing development. I thought Stance did good work making unique designs that fit with the existing uniforms and made a nice product. Interested to see if Nike continues the team specific socks or goes back to generic ones.

Let's just hope they aren't just some version of their elite socks. That's what Nike outfits their college and international teams in, but hopefully they come up with something a bit more basic for the NBA. Some team-specific socks would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if those just end up including the team colors rather than actual unique design elements.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

43 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

10/1 does sound like the date for retail products, which makes sense and likely follows previous years.  The sports market is centered around new NFL and college products in August and September, so I'm not sure it would make sense for Nike to try to out-muscle the football side during the late summer months.  

Interesting about Stance.  I wonder if this was a money deal, or a players-not-impressed-with-Stance deal.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, JerseyJosh said:

Sorry for the delay - I mean in terms of logo. Thought Clippers were making a change to the primary. I thought a  concept was visible on some screenshot (maybe regarding Pistons leak) posted here a little while back. 

I'll just see my way out now. 

I (and probably a lot of others) hoped for a change to the LAC logo, but it's been confirmed on here by our good guys-in-the-know that the logo will not be changing.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived