NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Atleast tell us how different the Cavs are. What are we dealing with here? Are we talking piping? Loud numbers? Stupid use of black? The return of the 80's CAVS wordmark for no reason?

Kind of, yes, no, no.

ExJworW.png

1 minute ago, CitizenTino said:

@Magic Dynasty

Two questions: 

Does the trim incorporate the three-color pattern used on the 70s uniforms and the LeBron Era I navy alternates?

Which new wordmark is used? CAVS or CAVALIERS?

Sadly, the three-color pattern is nowhere to be seen. Also, it uses CAVS.

ExJworW.png

@Magic Dynasty

Is it consistent with any of their previous identities? If so, any hints as to which?

One of the things I find both interesting and aggravating about the Cavs' uniform history is that no two iterations (aside from the brief mid/late-'90s update) are alike. Curious as to whether or not that will be the case here. 

11 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

Any truth to this? My buddy on Facebook posted these uniforms but I noticed immediately Cleveland is the same so I KNEW they were fake. Besides nothing was posted on the main site either.

Chicago-Bulls-Nike-Uniforms.png

Cleveland-Cavs-Nike-Uniforms1.png

Denver-Nuggets-Nike-Uniforms1.png

This wasn't a look I thought I wanted for the Nuggets until just now. I would love it if they went this direction and kept the design consistent across all uniforms. A great balance of old and new, while still looking modern imo

I was thinking maybe black and ice blue is the way to go for the Nuggets until I realized it's basically an orange short of the dark-ages Cavs, and the Nuggets already used a Cavs color palette (oddly enough, before the Cavs).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

@Magic Dynasty

Is it consistent with any of their previous identities? If so, any hints as to which?

One of the things I find both interesting and aggravating about the Cavs' uniform history is that no two iterations (aside from the brief mid/late-'90s update) are alike. Curious as to whether or not that will be the case here. 

If anything, it's most consistent to the current set (in the idea that there is only wine and gold on the home), and the LBJ 1.0 uniforms (busy design, but it doesn't really seem busy)  but we haven't really seen anything like it from the franchise.

ExJworW.png

16 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

we haven't really seen anything like it from the franchise.

That can only mean one thing: clear side panels.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

12 hours ago, M4One said:

Dallas is making a slight colour change, darkening the blue a tad if you can't tell.

DDgr1JmUwAEOZ4z.jpg:large

Where to start....

1) Darkening the blue is a huge mistake. It's going to look really muddled and poorly contrasting against navy. Not that you're going to "lose" it necessarily, but if you have to go double blue, it's best to have the second blue on the lighter side of the spectrum. It never hurts to be able to really see it.

2) Beyond that, and more preferably, they should've just taken this Nike opportunity to get rid of the whole identity entirely. They're the team in most need of a total refresh by a long shot. It's a terribly outdated identity (and was never a good one to start with), basically the NBA's answer to the Falcons/Cardinals/Bengals. There's a huge difference between timelessness and overstayed longevity in identity; your look is timeless if it works in any era seamlessly, or doesn't look out of place. Your look has overstayed its welcome, however, if you can still hear Sugar Ray and Baha Men when you see it today. 

At the very least, they have to let go when Dirk retires, if not now. Time's been up on this identity for a solid 7-8 years. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Mark Parker Nike CEO stated this in Earnings Report:

“PLUS WE HAVE NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN- TECHNOLOGY IN NBA APPAREL ON THE WAY. NEW SUSTAINABLE INNOVATION, BROUGHT TO SCALE THROUGH SOME OF OUR MOST ICONIC FOOTWEAR STYLES, AND NEW ADDITIONS TO THE AIR MAX FAMILY THAT LEVERAGE OUR NEW CAPABILITIES IN AIR SOLE MANUFACTURING. UP AND DOWN OUR CATEGORIES, WE THINK THE CONSUMER IS GOING TO BE EXCITED ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE IN STORE IN FISCAL 18, AND OF COURSE, AS ALWAYS, WE’LL HAVE MORE SURPRISES ALONG THE WAY.”

Archived