NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

9 minutes ago, dmhtfld said:

Pretty sure the guy is just talking about new shoes.

"NBA Apparel" is new shoes?  

Edit:  The second and third sentence of Nike excerpt does sound like it's related to shoes.  Air Max line is nothing but shoes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I've never liked the Mavs' current branding. 

I think that primary logo has too many pieces in it. It's very convoluted. I know it's a horse, but it doesn't look like one from a far. 

I agree. I like logos that are unique, simple and easy for a kid to replicate.  

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I've never liked the Mavs' current branding. 

I think that primary logo has too many pieces in it. It's very convoluted. I know it's a horse, but it doesn't look like one from a far. 

Everything about the logo and primary wordmark is just so 2001.  The unis are decent...but it's still weird the unis don't have black on them and the logo doesn't have navy.

9 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Beyond that, and more preferably, they should've just taken this Nike opportunity to get rid of the whole identity entirely. They're the team in most need of a total refresh by a long shot. It's a terribly outdated identity

Over the Rockets current brand?  
I'm sure everyone in Dallas is now in the same boat that mid 90s Rockets fans were in. Just leave the championship winning identity alone.  Tweaking is fine, but total rebrand after winning a title is never good. 

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Over the Rockets current brand?  
I'm sure everyone in Dallas is now in the same boat that mid 90s Rockets fans were in. Just leave the championship winning identity alone.  Tweaking is fine, but total rebrand after winning a title is never good. 

Yep, even over the Rockets. Not that the Rockets aren't on the outdated list, but the Mavs have held onto a bad outdated look a few seasons longer, and if I have to choose one, it has to be them.

And usually I advocate championship looks staying if they're a good look. The Rockets' championship look fit that bill, but the Mavs look never was good from the start, so I'm totally fine with it getting dumped despite the championship.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 6/30/2017 at 1:21 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Where to start....

1) Darkening the blue is a huge mistake. It's going to look really muddled and poorly contrasting against navy. Not that you're going to "lose" it necessarily, but if you have to go double blue, it's best to have the second blue on the lighter side of the spectrum. It never hurts to be able to really see it.

2) Beyond that, and more preferably, they should've just taken this Nike opportunity to get rid of the whole identity entirely. They're the team in most need of a total refresh by a long shot. It's a terribly outdated identity (and was never a good one to start with), basically the NBA's answer to the Falcons/Cardinals/Bengals. There's a huge difference between timelessness and overstayed longevity in identity; your look is timeless if it works in any era seamlessly, or doesn't look out of place. Your look has overstayed its welcome, however, if you can still hear Sugar Ray and Baha Men when you see it today. 

At the very least, they have to let go when Dirk retires, if not now. Time's been up on this identity for a solid 7-8 years. 

How about following Utah's model by reprising a previous era set from the photo below.

Royal blue/forest green should be distinguishable from what Minnesota is doing for 2018.

e87eca3a38cb63cc91a7fce949ae1361.jpg

1 hour ago, Derek94 said:

How about following Utah's model by reprising a previous era set from the photo below.

Royal blue/forest green should be distinguishable from what Minnesota is doing for 2018.

e87eca3a38cb63cc91a7fce949ae1361.jpg

The Mavericks could definitely pull off a modernized version of that.  

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Mavericks could definitely pull off a modernized version of that.  

I wish they would. Great colors, simple and classy uniforms, and just the right amount of quirk in the identity. It can stand some tweaks, but I'd do backflips if anything remotely close to it replaced the current.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

28 minutes ago, colortv said:

Still the best Rockets logo in my opinion

Houston-Rockets-Logo-Vector-758x758.jpg

I was never a fan of the whole logo on the jersey, but that word mark is solid. That on a jersey by itself would look good, maybe tweak a few things here and there.

Archived