NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

I like the Suns' dark purple. It helps differentiate from the Lakers and Kings a little. And it's funny, for as uncommon as purple is used in professional sports, we have a division that has three of them using it.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I like the Suns' dark purple. It helps differentiate from the Lakers and Kings a little. And it's funny, for as uncommon as purple is used in professional sports, we have a division that has three of them using it.

Surely, Paul Lukas' favorite division.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I wonder if this ad patch situation is only for games that aren't nationally televised? In case you haven't noticed, there's ads on the actual court these days but they aren't allowed during national TV games and are replaced by the team website or Twitter name.

This situation really sucks, but at the very least I'd be "fine" if it was limited to a certain amount of games so I don't have to put up with it on a constant basis.

bSLCtu2.png

Something to keep an eye on as more of these deals are announced: Thus far, every team that has had an event to officially unveil their jersey patch sponsor has displayed a jersey with the actual ad patch. Given that the Cavs are rumored to be one of the teams getting a makeover, I wonder if they'll show a current jersey with the Goodyear patch. If not, that might be a clue that the patch won't ever be used on the current jersey because a new one is coming.

Speaking of which: In a weird way, I think it will be much less jarring to see ads on new uniforms next year than the existing designs. After, what, 50 years?, we have an expectation of what the Celtics uniform looks like, for example. But a team with a new design won't really have that familiarity built in.

1 hour ago, Waffles said:

Depressingly, the Nets' big red box is a feature, not a bug:

Sigh.

Of course. If you are spending an obscene amount of money to have your logo on a jersey, the point is for it to get noticed. Sucks for those of us who care about uniform aesthetics, but making ad patches that blend in is not the goal for anyone involved with their creation and it never will be.

The Pistons are having commemorative nights to honor the last season at the Palace, and they honored their longtime pbp guy at halftime last night. Different banners were displayed on-court at halftime, all with the new logo prominently featured like this one I capped from a video in the team Twitter feed:

IMG_0265.PNG

I'm surprised LAC didn't just wear their home whites.

Their identity is so horrible and such a mess that I honestly don't care what they do until they get a new set and a new identity. They look terrible no matter which of their jerseys they decide to wear.  Wearing black jerseys too often isn't their problem; the problem is the entire identity (or lack thereof) and uniform set themselves.  Complaining about them wearing black too often is like complaining that a bowl full of crap isn't garnished.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:36 PM, hendocfc said:

So now that speculation has started... the "mystery team" was the Spurs. Some teams are making subtle changes and not complete rebrands though,I'd expect Spurs to be in that category.

Please tell me the Clippers are in the overhaul everything category!!

36 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Here's a pic of the sponsor and the announcement video.

s7jAyKG.png

Great move by the Jazz and Qualtics. Bonus it's in the colour scheme and relatively unobtrusive.

Proof that sponsors potentially don't have to be disruptive to a uniforms design

Archived