2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread: This is March.

RyanMcD29

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there are currently six Power 5 openings.

Cal

Illinois

Indiana

LSU

NC State

Washington

Lots of tradition, but I'm unsure if any of these openings are "good enough jobs" for a high major coach like Mark Few, Randy Bennett, Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack, or Archie Miller.

LSU could bring back Kermit Davis, but his age (57), might turn schools off.

While highest paid in the AAC, Mick Cronin flirted at UNLV last year. Cal is going to Under Armour could be the factor since he still has a personal services contract with them.

16 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

So there are currently six Power 5 openings.

Cal

Illinois

Indiana

LSU

NC State

Washington

Lots of tradition, but I'm unsure if any of these openings are "good enough jobs" for a high major coach like Mark Few, Randy Bennett, Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack, or Archie Miller.

It is strange to say that about Indiana, but that may be where we are.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

It is strange to say that about Indiana, but that may be where we are.

NC State and Indiana are gigs where the expectations are much too unreasonable.

In nine seasons, Crean won two outright B1G regular season titles and got to the Sweet 16 three times.  In his tenure, no other coach had won multiple outright titles. That said, they weren't getting better and in-state recruits ain't gonna cut it.

NC State suffers from littlest brother syndrome who happened to won two titles in a ten year period.

32 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

NC State and Indiana are gigs where the expectations are much too unreasonable.

In nine seasons, Crean won two outright B1G regular season titles and got to the Sweet 16 three times.  In his tenure, no other coach had won multiple outright titles. That said, they weren't getting better and in-state recruits ain't gonna cut it.

Indiana gave up home-court to Georgia Tech in the NIT because Indiana folks were concerned about the reception the NIT would get.  That had to be the death-knell for Crean.

Washington would of been a great gig... but now that the guy that should be the next coach (and his son, the number 1 recruit in the nation) are heading to Missouri, the cupboard is now probably bare.

Hell, the only reason anyone gave a damn about the Huskies this season was so the NBA scouts could drool over Fultz.

10 hours ago, See Red said:

Well, that was a pretty terrible first day of the tourney.

Agreed. I didn't expect Winthrop to win, but it's always disappointing for the season to end.

It was enjoyable to experience a new city, new arena (35th different arena in which I've seen a Winthrop basketball game), and catch the MTSU-Minnesota "upset" with my college roommate's brother who is an MTSU grad. The arena was solidly 60% Minnesota fans, and I had fun being a surrogate "away" fan. Also watched the Wisconsin-Virginia Tech game at a random Milwaukee neighborhood bar, which I found entertaining.

However, the real disappointment of the trip is I did not find dis winconson mayn.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Wisconsin was so bad for nearly two months that, despite losing essentially nothing from last year's team that barely missed the Elite Eight, I did not think they could just turn it on.  I guess I was wrong.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

20 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Wisconsin was so bad for nearly two months that, despite losing essentially nothing from last year's team that barely missed the Elite Eight, I did not think they could just turn it on.  I guess I was wrong.

Wisconsin was likely the best starting 5 which Villanova played all season (ND, Purdue, and Wake are other considerations) as they are better than the Big East entrants. Pace of play helped too since Hart was their only guy on offense the first 12 minutes.

That said, Nigel Hayes committed a Flagrant 1 and it wasn't called.  He grabbed the jersey and both he and the 'Nova kid were far from the ball.  The NCAA Director of Officiating went into detail about last night's Seton Hall Flagrant 1; he's got explaining to do at halftime of Gonzaga/NW.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JayBilas/status/843207497225830400

Time for piccolo player, y'all!

Xavier absolutely destroys 3 seeded Florida State. 

The refs blew it on that goaltending vs Northwestern, but the coach can't get a technical at that point in the game.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

5 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

She wasn't the only one. This poor fella didn't take his team's loss very well either...

C7PPCM0W4AIbKLH.jpg

Well done, sir, but 'Nova piccolo girl is a long standing meme.

You did give us 2017 "Kid Tears" before me and credit is deserved.

But here's post game:

IMAG0180_zpsp6yeoi5d.jpg

7 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Xavier absolutely destroys 3 seeded Florida State. 

The crowd, or lack of it helped Xavier at Amway today.

The Gator fans with tickets didn't show for the first game. They'd rather get lathered up. My brother is a Gator alum, lives in Orlando and has suite tix today, so he's got booze.

He and hundreds of others spent most of the first game at Casey's On Central.

Archived