hettinger_rl

St. Louis Stags Logolympiad Entry

St. Louis proved to be a difficult city to pin an NFL identity on. They are kinda that city in-between, they are close to so many other markets.

For my entry I had narrowed it down to 4 names at first: Serpents, Demons, Storm, & Stags (I also toyed with Clydes... as in clydesdales ala Budweiser). Serpents ended up feeling clumsy (saying it makes me feel like I have a lisp), Demons too contradictory with Saint in the city name (but St. Louis is the city where the real story of the Exorcist took place), and Storm too insensitive (so many lives lost in the area due to tornadoes). So Stags was where I landed. With Missouri's passion for hunting it seemed like a good fit. I chose some "black forest" style iconography to reflect the German immigrant population that boomed in the 1800s.

Colors were another nightmare, I wanted the pallet to be different from the cards and blues; but then different from KC teams, Chicago Teams, Tennesee teams, Texas teams, etc. At first I chose orange, black, and blue:

Shield.png

But I struggled to keep it from being too Denver or too Cincy. So I tried blue, yellow and black:

B4.png StLouisStagsa.png

This didn't seem like the scheme of an NFL team. So after a few fruitless iterations I stumbled on Plum, Silver, and Yellow. This seemed unique, bold, and strong:

Logos.png

Let me know what you think of the logos. I'll post the unis next.

Looks good. I love the T in the negative space.

Thanks! I really wanted an StL logo, but it had to be different from the Cards. I always like the use of negative space in a logo as well so this worked out great.

My main issue with the logo is that this was for a team going to St. Louis more or less today, and I just didn't see it as a modern logo. It's not a bad logo, just not something I feel I'd see debut today. I say that because of the Stag itself. The Stag is beautiful, but looks more like a logo that has stood the test of time, not something new.

4 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

My main issue with the logo is that this was for a team going to St. Louis more or less today, and I just didn't see it as a modern logo. It's not a bad logo, just not something I feel I'd see debut today. I say that because of the Stag itself. The Stag is beautiful, but looks more like a logo that has stood the test of time, not something new.

I can see that. Thanks.

1 hour ago, THEANGEL&THEGAMBLER said:

I like it but looks more like a soccer crest to me 

MLS St. Louis Stags FC... could work.

I really wanted to add aspects of the flag of the City of St. Louis in the uniforms as well as have a unique helmet graphic:

Event8_hettinger_rl.png

Stream-of-consciousness thoughts:

1) The monogram is frickin' genius.  I think it's a strong enough element to stand alone. 

2) The sleekness of the arch and the river doesn't match the jaggedness of the monogram and the deer, which makes the logo look disjointed. 

3) I agree this probably wouldn't be a logo for an expansion team, but I like it nonetheless. 

4) The purple and yellow make me think Vikings and (to a lesser extent) Ravens.  I agree Saint Louis was a nightmare for color schemes, but I'd consider something else. 

5) I like the antlers adorning the helmet, but I think they should be outlined with one of your secondary colors (or the helmet itself can be a secondary color). 

6) Again, the river just doesn't jive with the font.  I recognize the Saint Louis connection, but it looks really shoehorned.  And have the stripe go straight down the pants rather than cross the knees.  That's not a good look in my opinion. 

Hope this helps!

I totally got that the stripes were pulled from the city flag, and I liked them on the shoulders. I did not like them on the pants. Had they just gone down the side, I'd have liked them more.

The other issue with the stripes was that unless people knew the flag, they'd likely not understand where the striping came from, which may have cost you votes. That's the issue with the Logolympiad, as if you know the inspiration, it's understandable, otherwise, it's just weird, squiggly stripes. Those clashed with the stag itself.

Yeah, I'm seeing that too traditional of a logo/script didn't end up jiving with the non-traditional uni style.

2 things I really wanted to avoid were over-aggressive looking logos and a RWB color scheme.

I did get that the purple and yellow would lead to vikings and ravens compairisons and thats why I emphasized the silver/purple more. In the end I figured if the NFL can have 5 teams with RWB then one more purple wouldn'y hurt. ^_^

Thanks for all the feedback.