MLB Hat Designs -- Phillies (added 3/2)

Philly's Phinest

After two full re-designs (NFL & NHL), I've decided to take on a less daunting project and just have a little fun. This thread is simply just MLB cap designs. I will be doing designs for all 30 teams and some extra defunct teams. I'll be creating 9 different caps for each team. There is no real rhyme or reason to any of my designs. They're simply just what I was feeling at the moment. As usual, I'll give a brief explanation of each design and why I did what I did for the respective team. As always, I'm open to ideas from any of you or what you'd like to see. Once completed, I may go back and add jerseys for each. But, for the time being, I'm strictly sticking to the caps. Some elaborate and others will be very traditional. Lastly, there's no specific order I'm going in, so if you have a request of what you'd like to see next, feel free to shout it out. That being said...here are the first two teams.

San Diego Padres

I may fall into the majority on this one, but when I think of the Padres, I think brown and yellow. It's unique, and quite honestly I think works well for them. Most of these caps are based around that color scheme with the modern SD logo. I did throw a few in there with the blue and orange of the 90s (personal preference). If I had to choose a primary, it would be one of the three on the top row. The others would be BP/Throwback ideas.

yH6gLgK.png

Boston Red Sox

Boston is one of those classic teams. Again, if I'm going primary, it would be the top left design. Keeping it simple. The rest are mixed and matched color schemes along with some retro logos.

wBrBV4L.png

30 minutes ago, cjm3114jr said:

These look really cool. If you were looking to have all these options for a set, I think it is a bit much.

They aren't meant to be a set. I agree though. If I do end up making sets after all of these, only a few caps would be used. Not all. Thanks for the kind words! 

Love seeing the Barrelman any day.

If I could make a suggestion, please don't follow the common merchandising mistake of removing the white ball-in-glove "webbing."  That was an error introduced in the 1990s when somebody at MLB Properties screwed up the Illustrator file and connected it to the background.  When the background was removed, so was the white webbing.  Then we got a rash of merchandise with transparent webbing, and even though the master file has been fixed now it keeps cropping up.

50 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Was hoping to see a "Milwaukee Braves 'M'" in there...or would that go with the Braves?

You will definitely see a rendition of the Milwaukee Braves at some point. I'm just including it on the list of defunct teams that I'll post.

34 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Love seeing the Barrelman any day.

If I could make a suggestion, please don't follow the common merchandising mistake of removing the white ball-in-glove "webbing."  That was an error introduced in the 1990s when somebody at MLB Properties screwed up the Illustrator file and connected it to the background.  When the background was removed, so was the white webbing.  Then we got a rash of merchandise with transparent webbing, and even though the master file has been fixed now it keeps cropping up.

Yes! Had to have the Barrel man somewhere in there. So what you're saying is the "M" section of the ball in glove logo was to be white as well?

26 minutes ago, Philly's Phinest said:

Here's the revised version. Thanks for pointing that out. It's funny how something so subtle makes a huge difference.

It really does, doesn't it?   That's why it drives me so crazy to see that error replicated again and again.  Nice work!

2 more completed today. Arizona and Pittsburgh.

Arizona Diamondbacks

I will preface this by saying that I'm not a fan at all of the new turquoise in the Diamondbacks scheme. I do however (and I may be in the minority on this one) like the gradient on the shoulders of the uniforms, just not on the hats. That being said, here's a mix of past and present. On a few of the retro color caps, I ditched the old copper for the new sand color.

iULgIdw.png

Pittsburgh Pirates

Of course I had to throw the pillbox cap in there. It's iconic Pittsburgh. I also like the looks of the gray and white caps for the Pirates as well. Also, super old school hat in there as well. And if you couldn't already tell, I'm a fan of two tone caps.

0vARAU8.png

6 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

I like it, but how do you not have the Pirates' standard and classic cap? 

Ya know, that's a very good point. It was an oversight on my part. As I've been creating these, I've found it very hard to limit myself to 9 caps for each. I feel like there are just so many different color ways that I'd like to experiment and see that I just get carried away and forget them when I pick the final 9 I post! However, I will be adding the standard and classic in there as well. Also, going forward, you may see more than 9 hats because I have a ton of variations for each and they're just fun to make 

5 minutes ago, Philly's Phinest said:

Ya know, that's a very good point. It was an oversight on my part. As I've been creating these, I've found it very hard to limit myself to 9 caps for each. I feel like there are just so many different color ways that I'd like to experiment and see that I just get carried away and forget them when I pick the final 9 I post! However, I will be adding the standard and classic in there as well. Also, going forward, you may see more than 9 hats because I have a ton of variations for each and they're just fun to make 

Don't mind that at all. The more, the merrier. Great work!

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I've been able to find some time to pump out any concepts. I've been very busy with work and such. But this past week, I was out in Denver for business. In my spare time, I was able to take a tour of Coors Field and also caught an Avs game. It was great to visit the field and actually inspired me to make some time to get back into some designs. So, I present the Colorado Rockies...

Colorado Rockies

I will preface this by saying, yes, there are some main designs that I missed (i.e. all purple/all black hats). These designs are simply what I find visually appealing and so forth. The top row is just your normal CR logo'd caps. The middle row utilizes their BP logo. And the bottom is just an idea I was toying with of taking the Colorado state flag logo and slapping a baseball in the center. I'm also working on a full version of a logo that incorporates both that and the mountains, but I'm not quite done tweaking yet (will definitely needs some suggestions on how it can improve). Anyway, hope you all like these...

gSzLnXP.png

Even though its fairly for lack of a better word obvious, is it just me or is that C logo awesome? That would be a legitimately perfect cap logo for a Rockies redesign, which is something that needs to happen sooner than later. Hats off to you for that, sir! (Pun fully intended)

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

On 2/24/2017 at 5:16 PM, Bruins said:

Even though its fairly for lack of a better word obvious, is it just me or is that C logo awesome? That would be a legitimately perfect cap logo for a Rockies redesign, which is something that needs to happen sooner than later. Hats off to you for that, sir! (Pun fully intended)

Appreciate that! Yeah, I feel as though it's sorta cliche to use the C logo, but in all honesty, I haven't seen many concepts that actually utilize it, but I really think it works. Either way, I think it's a fun one and definitely could be a cool option. Also in agreement that the Rockies definitely need an overhaul.

Archived