The worst day of my life

pcgd

Jim Hendry once again shows his stuff by stealing Nomar from the Red Sox. Maybe Nomar was unhappy in Boston, but I'll take that .323 average over Gonzo's .220 any day.

Is he the missing link, who knows? I just wish Harry Caray were alive to try to pronounce that name!

Go Cubs!

CGP.gif

I don't think Benito Santiago would think he has bad karma...whether he wore #9 or #09

He, Yogi, and Dickey are prominent exceptions. I thought catchers wore double-digit numbers so the straps to the chest protector wouldn't obscure the number.

Sorta like the same thing with pitchers, though that's more superstition than practicality.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

you guys just love to rub it in don't you?

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Nomar is dead to me. He never was a Red Sox. I hate him as much as I hate clemens. I know it wasn't his choice...but still....he's dead to me.

peace,

pc

and...still bitter.

Bootsy's gone, and we have a guy who produces with the bat and glove ALL of the time instead of most of the time

really? who'd you get besides Nomah?

Nomar was a very good hitter. WAS. Over the last few years his offensive skills have started to decline as his injuries became more frequent. More first-pitch swinging and pop-ups. Last year was brutal...he left a lot of runners in scoring position, especially if he came up with 2 outs.

You could even question his heart. Why else would he sit on the bench against the Yankees and sulk the while time? As much of a contributor he's been over the years, he had been developing a prima-donna attitude in the clubhouse. He was by no means a cancer, but he wasn't the happiest of players even during his more productive seasons.

If he turns out to be an awesome player again in Chicago, that's great. But the Red Sox have learned to live without him.

WAS a good offensive player. Typical moaning Sox fan. The last 2 years he's batted .305 with 52 HR's and 225 RBI and palyed 156 games each year.

And really why should he show any loyalty to an organization that openly shopped him with out saying a word to him first.

BTW, Nomar just got a 2 out RBI single for his first NL hit.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

The word on the Cubs Message Board is that Nomar will be wearing #8 tomorrow.

The roster listed on espn.com says Nomar is wearing #15.

I'm watching on WGN right now and Nomar is wearing #8.

He wasn't wearing his familiar No. 5. That's Cubs catcher Michael Barrett's number. Garciaparra opted for No. 8, recently vacated by Alex Gonzalez, who ended up in Montreal in the complicated eight-player swap.

"I'm willing to talk to him about it," Barrett said about No. 5, which he has worn his entire career. "I just want him to be comfortable. If he starts tearing it up with No. 8, I'm sure he'll keep No. 8."

Cubs fans welcome Nomar to town

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Obviously Nomar was not gonna resign with Boston next year. So they got the best available FA SS on the market for next year into town now for 3 months worth of early negotiations. Better than losing Nomar and getting nothing.

Cabrera had made it quite clear he didn't want to resign with Montreal/Washington next year. It's alot cheaper to sign a guy when he can't go shopping your offer. They already know what Montreal had offered him. He said at that time the money wasn't the issue, so they have a good starting spot.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Catcher Michael Barrett had a new look when he took the field for Tuesday's game with the Rockies. Barrett approached Garciaparra with an offer to give up the No. 5 jersey he has worn since breaking into the big leagues with Montreal in 1998. He chose to don the No. 8 jersey briefly donned by Garciaparra, and even promised to start thinking up some Yogi-isms, noting that the number stands out as Hall of Famer Yogi Berra's old number.

"It's a good number," Barrett said. "It's a little different. It's going to take me some time to get used to it, but Yogi Berra's the first guy that comes to mind. Hopefully it'll bring some luck to me behind the plate, help this team win as many championships as he did.

Though the terms of their agreement remain "undisclosed," as Garciaparra put it, Barrett had one primary objective in mind.

"I just told him I'm not going to give you my number for a month and a half," Barrett said. "You're going to have to think about staying here for a while. And he said he would. That was probably the biggest piece of the negotiations."

Nomar back in familiar #5:

capt.dxf10208040215.cubs_rockies_dxf102.jpg

capt.dxf10808040351.cubs_rockies_dxf108.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

What was that skit on Saturday Night Live with the Chicago fans? I assume they would be calling him...

Da Nomah. :P Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived