8BW14

As said above, Dartmouth slightly resembles the Jets, and it's a simple, clean look. Don't quite know if you're doing requests or not, but I'd be interested to see what you do with the teams with classic looks (Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, etc). Great thread!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate the input and I definitely see the jets comparison but I was going for a simple old-school look, so that's good. 

As as for some of those classic looks, I hadn't planned on taking a stab at those schools because IMO, there's really nothing to be changed for those teams. That being said, now you've got me thinking about it so maybe I will have a go at some of those teams.

First off, I have come up with a list of schools that I'd like to redesign during this project and It's in the OP if anyone would like to take a look. I also have new uniform redesign too. This one was actually pretty tough for me because what Northwestern is currently sporting is actually pretty solid and I love the way they use their stripes across the chest, Montreal Canadiens-style. Originally, I had approached this design with totally getting rid of black on their uniforms in mind, but as it went on, I kept going back to black, but I also liked the very clean look of just using purple and white exclusively, for the most part, so I included a home uniform with black accents and depending on the popular opinion I will either go sans black or add some black to the rest of the uniforms as well.

northwestern football home.png

northwestern football road.png

northwestern football alt.png

Aside from dropping any and all traces of black from the uniforms, I stayed pretty close to what NW has been wearing recently. I did add a full stripe to the pants and changed the number font to a more traditional block font. I know some people will hate this but I deliberately went with the grey facemask on the helmet to add to the vintage feel of this look. The grey alternate may be for the sake of it but regardless, I think it looks very sharp and gives the team a number of mix and match options that will still be a part of a cohesive look.

Now last but not least is basically the same design as above, only with a significant amount of black and like I said above, if the black is preferred by most everybody, I'll go back and use it as the primary look.

northwestern football home 2.png

Well thanks for taking the time to have a look and I appreciate any feedback or C&C. Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long break, but I finally have the time to get the next one up today and that team is the 5-time defending FCS Champs, North Dakota State Bison. What the Bison have now is basically a hodge-podge of catalog orders that don't look as bad as they really are because of the nice green and yellow color scheme. I built my new look of of the classic helmet with the traditional brashier stripe design and it was kind of difficult no to make theme a Packers replica. 

North Dakota St. football home.png

North Dakota St. football road.png

North Dakota St. football alt.png

The new look is pretty simple, but with three jerseys, two pairs of pants, and 2 helmets it gives plenty of options for gameday. I modified the italic number font that NDSU has used since their latest logo and uniform update and added the bison head logo to the sleeves and to the new green helmet. Basically, I just wanted to simplify and streamline the look for a more cohesive identity.

Thanks for taking the time to look and I'd love to hear and C&C. Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Sorry for the long break, but I finally have the time to get the next one up today and that team is the 5-time defending FCS Champs, North Dakota State Bison. What the Bison have now is basically a hodge-podge of catalog orders that don't look as bad as they really are because of the nice green and yellow color scheme. I built my new look of of the classic helmet with the traditional brashier stripe design and it was kind of difficult no to make theme a Packers replica. 

North Dakota St. football home.png

North Dakota St. football road.png

North Dakota St. football alt.png

The new look is pretty simple, but with three jerseys, two pairs of pants, and 2 helmets it gives plenty of options for gameday. I modified the italic number font that NDSU has used since their latest logo and uniform update and added the bison head logo to the sleeves and to the new green helmet. Basically, I just wanted to simplify and streamline the look for a more cohesive identity.

Thanks for taking the time to look and I'd love to hear and C&C. Thanks again.

I definitely agree with your assessment of NDSU's uniform in general.  But why did you change the logo on the yellow helmet?  IMO the full Bison is far superior to the half Bison with NDSU.  Also where you have "BISON" on the back is that a place holder for the NOB?

I do like the simplification and an attempt to go back to something a little more traditional. It looks clean and fits the old school approach for the team's overall philosophy. I'm just not a fan of this style of uniform in general. 

2 minutes ago, Milkman14 said:

I definitely agree with your assessment of NDSU's uniform in general.  But why did you change the logo on the yellow helmet?  IMO the full Bison is far superior to the half Bison with NDSU.  Also where you have "BISON" on the back is that a place holder for the NOB?

I do like the simplification and an attempt to go back to something a little more traditional. It looks clean and fits the old school approach for the team's overall philosophy. I'm just not a fan of this style of uniform in general. 

Yeah bison is just a placeholder for a NOB. 

I changed the logo because I think the full bodied bison is awkward looking. To me it looks more like it is floating than charging or leaping. 

Thanks for your input, especially on the helmet logo. Now you've got me thinking I should change it back

17 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Yeah bison is just a placeholder for a NOB. 

I changed the logo because I think the full bodied bison is awkward looking. To me it looks more like it is floating than charging or leaping. 

Thanks for your input, especially on the helmet logo. Now you've got me thinking I should change it back

The reason I ask about the NOB is because NDSU has never had NOBs same reason as Penn State.  Also I see what you're saying.  The angle might be an extreme mostly for effect but its not really that far off from a real bison pose.  Especially when the helmet is on an actual player.  Most images you find of the helmet just sitting on a surface really exaggerate the angle of the logo (hope that all made sense)ThunderintheSnow-1324.jpg

2016-01-09T184509Z_1540525501_NOCID_RTRM

2 hours ago, Milkman14 said:

The reason I ask about the NOB is because NDSU has never had NOBs same reason as Penn State.  Also I see what you're saying.  The angle might be an extreme mostly for effect but its not really that far off from a real bison pose.  Especially when the helmet is on an actual player.  Most images you find of the helmet just sitting on a surface really exaggerate the angle of the logo (hope that all made sense)ThunderintheSnow-1324.jpg

I definitely get what you're saying about the pusition of the logo. As for the the player names I guess I should have done more research about NDSU. 

Thanks for the info and I'll be making some changes because of your suggestions and I'll get them posted asap.

Well, I'm back here with some new concepts I have been working on in my free time. Some are tweaks and some are major redesigns. The first team that I worked on was the Florida Gators. I think Florida has just messed around with their uniforms too much lately and, frankly, I have never really cared for the way they keep their striping pattern consistent, with the floating inner stripe, and then totally disregarding that staunch adherence with the orange jersey. 

5a01e3ee98629_floridafootballhome.png.7badf8dcbca7bfabaa4f6af4e710e7b9.png

5a01e406ba197_floridafootballroad.png.8ad5c49f494bfb9cf00a0be921a15c97.png

5a01e3fd3c258_floridafootballalt.png.46f0f5e3d87b41f1a108cf8fb6ab65b6.png

The most obvious change I made to the Florida uniforms was removing the Gators script form the helmets and adding the gator head logo. I also cleaned up the number font and simplified the striping pattern to a clean brashier stripe across all the uniform pieces. I didn't want to mess with alternate helmets because I think the only helmet the Gators need is the iconic orange helmet. The set is intended to be mixed and matched, I just thought the combos I presented would be worn most often with the mono orange being an alternate for one or two games per season.

C&C is definitely welcome and thanks for taking the time to have a look. 

5a031a8cb4fdb_iowafootballhome.png.1e2a1d0db4887fa112a66a34b2d3c78c.png

5a031a8b89d0f_iowafootballroad.png.27563f9e783a1e177c2d7d84bc2ec4eb.png

5a031a8a42e9d_iowafootballalt.png.640316bd78cb13143b5319a34ffb42fc.png

The Steelers knockoffs are no more. I was inspired by Iowa's blackout uniforms from a couple years back which don't feature any white at all, just black and gold. Clean Northwestern stripes on the sleeves and Iowa's traditional single helmet stripe complete the look.

5a031a9339871_washingtonstatefootballhome.png.2a77a94404541afd66b55ad63a4462af.png

5a031a84c38fe_washingtonstatefootballroad.png.d559c85fdcbb9369106b8e7235427f46.png

5a031a834494b_washingtonstatefootballalt.png.7dc1b63753ab014d223b8b57ca7a544f.png

I appreciate the simplicity of Wazzu's current uniforms but I think maybe they took it too far and stripped the uniforms down too much. So, I added a wordmark to the chest because there's a precedent and I'm a sucker for a college/high school jersey with the name across the chest. The alternate gray jersey, helmet and pants are a nice way to mix it up every now and then for WSU.

5a031a89137fb_harvardfootballhome.png.4b5ab3b266afa7a8cb8b0e30cf091a8f.png

5a031a8760f74_harvardfootballroad.png.022466ae21fc8b4ff1210c10574e547c.png

5a031a86093b2_harvardfootballalt.png.df41cdb5901b8fce49b974fa7b0828df.png

I took Harvard back to a look that is similar to what they wore before their most recent redesign. The gold pants are a quirk that I decided to bring back as the primary and only pants. The black collars and cuffs give the jerseys a bit more personality than a plain Jane red or white jersey.

Thanks for taking a look and comments are definitely welcome.

I appreciate the move to the Gator logo on the UF helmets. For Iowa, I would make the helmet stripe less thick, because it looks a bit too chunky at the moment. Wazzu just looks clean, although tonal striping might look good. And at the moment, I'm not a fan of all the black in Harvard's look

That's what- She

• 2 weeks later...

qoD12jk.png

wmz2hmP.png

BXUqzqq.png

I have always liked VaTech's uniforms and color scheme, but I don't like it when they go away from the maroon helmet and, frankly, I think a more modern look suits the Hokies better than traditional UCLA stripes, so, I took the current number font and paired it with sleeve caps and piping inspired by the uniforms from circa 2007? and changed the helmet logo to the new academic logo.

I also have an Oregon State concept that is basically an update of the pro combat uniform from a few years back. Big stripes and single-color numbers evoke the old school feel without being a straight up throwback. I debated whether or not to use a helmet logo but decided to go with one based on the fact that Oregon State doesn't have quite the brand equity with a blank helmet as Penn State or Ohio State.

UVQ1wGm.png

ItGnqdt.png

u33BXMK.png

Well I'll thanks for taking a look and C&C is always welcome. Thanks again.

On 12/14/2016 at 1:42 PM, Milkman14 said:

But Penn State has had NOB's before...

On 11/22/2017 at 10:46 PM, WavePunter said:

But Penn State has had NOB's before...

Sorry I meant that the reason for NDSU not having NOB is the same reason Penn State currently does not (the name on the front is what is important not a name on the back, etc).  My sentence doesn't make that clear.  I definitely do not know all of Penn's uniform history :) 

21 minutes ago, Milkman14 said:

Sorry I meant that the reason for NDSU not having NOB is the same reason Penn State currently does not (the name on the front is what is important not a name on the back, etc).  My sentence doesn't make that clear.  I definitely do not know all of Penn's uniform history :) 

I don't know all of their history either, but after the Sandusky scandal, Bill O'Brien had names put on to honor the players who chose to stay with the program (or something along those lines, iirc).. So, your point still stands, I was just throwing my small amount of knowledge around pretending it was relevant ?

50 minutes ago, Milkman14 said:

...But Penn State doesn't have names on the front of their uniforms...

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Archived