NBA | Portland Trail Blazers rebrand

Go Red Sox!

I recall reading an article about a possible modernization of the current primary mark of the Trail Blazers from Portland a couple of months ago. As far as I can remember, the people in charge of the team were talking about keeping the basic shape of the good old and famous logo. It's definitely hard (if not impossible) to keep the main shape of the logo and not ending up with a final result that's tilted again. So I decided to give the NBA-friendly roundel a shot. The current design would still be easily recognizable while the overall impression would be cleaner, but, sure, more generic.

Portland%20Trailblazers%20primary%20mark

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I have a half-finished concept very similar to this.

That being said, I'm getting a major Raptors primary logo vibe from this with the black circle, single outline and using the colors red / black / grey. Try to differentiate from that moreso, and you might be on to something.

I expected that kind of reaction. I just hoped nobody would notice the similarity! :P

No, seriously, I've tried out nearly every possibility that eventually would look half-decent, yet I ended up with this one. Don't know whether leaving out silver to use white instead would be a good idea? This would be the Blazers color scheme prior to the 2003-04 season:

2%20Portland%20Trailblazers%20primary%20

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Simple, well-executed, and consistent with their branding. I too prefer the second version sans silver -- I traditionally think of the Portland Trailblazers' colors being black, red, and white, and this makes it pop a little more while also differentiating from the Toronto Raptors' recent rebrand as mentioned by Conrad. I would be very happy if this is what the Portland Trailblazers' upcoming rebrand looks like....excellent work!

I think that in order to separate it from the Raptors logo a little more, you might try adding a sliver circle just around the "blazing" part aka the inner part. I think removing silver helped a lot to get rid of the Raptors look, but they're still very similar. Great job, but I'd just like to see if that would help more.

spacer.png

Thank you, guys!

If I had to pick one of these two, I would also prefer the second draft – for three reasons:

1. Less similarity to the Raptors primary mark

2. More contrast in general, looks even cleaner

3. Never really liked silver in Portland's color scheme

Archived