New charlotte nba team

IowaFan26

Charlotte is getting another NBA team. This one will be owned by Black Entertainment Television billionaire owner Robert Johnson.

Click Here For The Story

So what do you think would be the best name for the new NBA franchise?

My best guess would be they'd have a nickname contest and everything. But if you want, when you dream up a nickname, you could probably also throw in some designs too if it fits your time.

sig09.jpg

on the "other" board someone proposed the "Carloina Flight" as a name for this team in reference to the Wright Brothers and the 1st flight in an airplane which took place in carolina, so i liked the idea and i want to put together some jerseys and a logo for this team, and if it is good enough i want to send it to the franchise for consideration, but i need you guy's help. 1st, what colors should i incorperate (paging Dr. Pantone) and ideas for a good logo. thanks im looking forward to hearing your suggestions. :D

I think all those names sound a little out of line for the NBA. But the Charlotte Storm seems reasonable. But that's my opinion.

But what if the team went with a state wide approach? Such as the Carolina Storm or the North Carolina Storm?

No ideas from me at the moment. But GMS1122, if you're going to do something on the flight, my suggestion would be either perhaps a 'C' with wings or a aviator piolot, or for a script logo cursive "Charlotte" with the 'e' curving up and back over for the trail of a plane that ends up over the 'C' in Charlotte. Colors could be perhaps Tar Heel blue, black, and not quite dark, but not quite light blue as an offset kind of color.

sig09.jpg

Aren't the New Orleans Hornets the "Carolina Flight?" :D

I think "Carolina Storm" would draw too many similarites to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Frankly, as a guy old enough to have actually followed an ABA team, I would be very much in favor of the Carolina Cougars.

And I suppose any notion that we might finally see a massive team name swap resulting in the Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Jazz, Utah Grizzlies and Memphis (insert name here)?  There certainly is precedent for Tennessee-based big-league teams changing names after 2 years.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't use "Carolina" as a surname.  Despite what everyone outside the area might think, the Carolinas are NOT a region in and of itself, even though some people here try to purport it as such.

Raleigh is a far cry from Charlotte and vice-versa, and residents of neither area would be caught dead in 90% of the areas of South Carolina.  Call 'em the Charlotte whatevers, but at least call them "Charlotte."

Now that I've thought of it for a while, I have the perfect moniker:  THE CHARLOTTE WEBS!

nav-logo.png

I'm very glad justice was finally done (sorta)...and yet the whole naming thing should never have come up. George Shinn should apologize to the city of Charlotte by returning the name "Hornets" without compensation; if he doesn't, the NBA should force him to take the name "Sting" and give "Hornets" back to Charlotte anyway. I don't know all the history, but "Hornets" belonged to Charlotte even before the NBA came to town; if Shinn keeps the name, he and the NBA are thumbing the eyes--again--of people who (until they got Shinn's loud, clear message) consistently supported a team that was constantly being undermined by its ownership.

And Mad Mac, I agree with you (except for the stuff about South Carolina  :;): -- do you know the bit that Thomas Wolfe wrote about the difference between NC and SC? Spoken like a true North Carolinian  :P ). The Panthers truly are Carolina's Panthers--that was a two-state cooperative effort. As much as South Carolinians may support the Hornets, the Hornets belong to Charlotte. But I hope you NC'ers don't mind if we drive up 85 to see a game every now and then.  :) We'll be sure to put on our Sunday school clothes and our church manners when we come to the big city.

Best,

e_m

And oh yeah: Bring back the Whalers! Bring back the Nordiques! but only in the fleur de lis!

I agree that returning the name Hornets to Charlotte would be the right thing to do (but would the pinstripes return as well? :D ) and I'm sure that Shinn and his band of merry men wouldn't mind a return of the marketing bonanza they had when they rolled out Hugo the Hornet in '88 - assuming of course they can pull off another unique name, logo and color scheme for the New Orleans team.   Of course, it's not inconceivable that New Orleans could pull a Colorado Avalanche and win the NBA title (I didn't say likely; I said not inconceivable) and then all bets would be off due to the "instant tradition" factor.

Archived