NHL Re-Introduction Series

zg313

Welcome to my NHL re-Introduction series! In this series, I re-introduce each NHL team by altering the look that they entered the NHL with. I'll be doing each team in the order they entered the league, starting with the Montreal Canadiens. I've elected to only do teams that currently exist in the NHL today in some way shape or form, so my apologies to fans of former teams like the Quebec Athletic Club. However, every major rebrand and relocation (such as Whalers to Hurricanes, etc.) will get featured. Each concept will be appropriate to its time period, and have a little historical context for fun. 

C&C is much appreciated! 

Montreal Canadiens (1917)

The Montreal Canadiens enter the NHL as an inaugural team in 1917. With them enters the most iconic uniform in sports. I chose not to change too much. I did flip the blue and white on the striping, and made the hem stripe the same style of the chest stripe. 

HOME ARENA- Montreal Westmount Arena

CURRENT US PRESIDENT- Woodrow Wilson

MAJOR EVENT- US declares war on Germany, entering WW1

FAMOUS BIRTH- John F. Kennedy 

ZekeG_Montreal_Reintroduction_Fullset.png

You know what my favorite ring is? The next one.

-Tom Brady

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 7.51.09 PM.png

Toronto Arenas/Maple Leafs (1917)

The Toronto Arenas, later the Maple Leafs, also join the NHL in 1917. The first Arenas jersey was simple, with a blue base and white hem and cuffs. A year later, they would add arm stripes. I expedited the process and added three stripes on the upper arms, while still keeping the original feel of the Arena's jersey. The Toronto Maple Leafs are getting grouped in here because there wasn't a significant enough identity difference between the Arenas and Maple Leafs, other than the logo.

HOME ARENA: Mutual Street Arena

CURRENT US PRESIDENT- Woodrow Wilson

MAJOR EVENT- First NHL Championship Game played (Toronto vs Montreal)

FAMOUS BIRTH- Ella Fitzgerald

Toronto_Reintroduction_Fullset.png

-Tom Brady

Boston Bruins (1924)

The Bruins enter the NHL as the league's first American team in 1924. Their first uniforms are brown with two yellow stripes on the sleeves. The next year, they'd switch to a more complex white jersey. My version of Boston's first jersey is a simplified brown version of the 1925-26 uniforms. 

HOME ARENA: Matthews Arena

CURRENT US PRESIDENT: Calvin Coolidge

MAJOR EVENT: Vladimir Lenin dies

FAMOUS BIRTHDAY: Jimmy Carter

ZekeG_Boston_Reintroduction_Fullset.png

-Tom Brady

1 hour ago, NoE38 said:

Great start to this series! These are all neat ideas that would look classic today.

Where did you get the template? I've been looking for one like this.

Credit for the template goes to @Zeus89725. There's a bunch more he made here, but the one I used is titled "sweater".

-Tom Brady

Chicago Black Hawks

Also beginning play in 1926 were the Black Hawks (two words).  They wore pretty nifty white uniforms with black striping. I kept the upper-chest striping, which I really like, and made the rest of the uniform's striping match it. But then I ran into an issue. Chicago wouldn't introduce red in their identity for another few years. Buuuut, red is a main part of the insignia for the 86th Infantry Division for which the team was named for. So I made a version with red, and mashed up the '26 logo with the '35 logo. Let me know which one you like better!

HOME ARENA: Chicago Coliseum

CURRENT US PRESIDENT: Calvin Coolidge

MAJOR EVENT: NBC launched

FAMOUS BIRTHDAY: Marylin Monroe  

ZekeG_Chicago_Reintroduction_Fullset.png

ZekeG_Chicago2_Reintroduction_Fullset.png

-Tom Brady

So I think I'm gonna do this series a bit differently that I said I was going to do. I sorta don't like how I mashed the Arenas, St. Pats, and Maple Leafs all into one. So starting with Detroit, every NHL expansion team will get their own post regardless of what they became.

Detroit Cougars

The Detroit Cougars entered the NHL in 1927. They actually played their first few home games in Windsor, Ontario, because no arena was ready yet in Detroit. Their first jerseys were super simple, and brought back by the Wings for the 2009 winter classic. The next year they'd move on to a more complex design. I kept the simplicity of the first jerseys and added the pattern from the 1927-28 uniform. C&C much appreciated!

HOME ARENA: Detroit Olympia

CURRENT US PRESIDENT: Calvin Coolidge

MAJOR EVENT: Charles Lindberg makes the first solo nonstop Transatlantic flight

FAMOUS BIRTHDAY: Vin Scully

ZekeG_Detroit_Reintroduction_Fullset.png

-Tom Brady

Archived