2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Do they have the same shirt sponsor for training and game?

I think Portland might be the only one with two different sponsors (Simple & Alaska Airlines). Did someone else announce different sponsors? Columbus will replace their black kit this yrar, I just hope it's nothing like their current alts.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think Portland might be the only one with two different sponsors (Simple & Alaska Airlines). Did someone else announce different sponsors?

We have Etihad Airways on the game shirts and New York-Presbyterian Hospital on the training. 

USATSI_9491517.jpg

Mikey-Lopez-NYCFC-Montreal-Impact-Warmup

Could these socks possibly be from one of Minnesota's new kits this season? They definitely appear to be customized for MNUFC in regards to color and there seems to be some sort of team specific wordmark, graphic, etc. on the calf. It would be odd to have customized socks just for training and preseason so I think it's entirely likely that they could be from one of the new kits (presumably the secondary kit).

IMG_2736.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Unless I'm mistaken, I think he was referring to the fact that the crest has a flat top line and a thick outline rather than the angled corner in your avatar. The new shape encases the star within the shield rather than it being a separated piece floating away from the crest.

10 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I think he was referring to the fact that the crest has a flat top line and a thick outline rather than the angled corner in your avatar. The new shape encases the star within the shield rather than it being a separated piece floating away from the crest.

Yep, that is what I meant. That whole thing with the star encased is the magnet. I got the magnet at a game last year shortly after the MLS logo reveal.

10 hours ago, Mockba said:

It's an alternate usage.  See also.

Wow, that's fantastic.  Thanks!

What's interesting to me is that they're using the outlined "black trap" version of the logo on these black shirts.

C3gjcWGVcAAv1o_.jpg

That leads me to believe that the badge is embroidered seperately and then sewn on.  Which is pretty common, so I guess we should have anticipated this, but it does tend to blunt one of the coolest features of Minnesota's badge.

12 hours ago, nas1787 said:

Interesting use of the grey stroke on the MNUFC crest. Has that been done before?

Goth, didn't you do something similar on your graphic with all the team-specific MLS logos?

I did, but I was just guessing.  I knew they needed some way to treat the logo against a light gray background; I guessed an outline around the star itself but I guessed wrong.  According to the fantastic style guide @Mockba posted, they have a variation for light backgrounds that includes a black shield.

With that in mind, here's the revised graphic.  It now includes official versions of everything, although I may have to switch out the Minnesota background color at some point, since those are intended to reflect shirt colors.  This presumes a gray shirt, which may or may not happen.

MLS_Next.png

27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

For the game jerseys I believe they are still heat pressed on to the uniform. Did they change within the last 3 years?

No, you're probably right.  I meant that the badge is done in one piece and applied to the shirts, heat press or sewn.

What'll be interesting to me is how much merchandise uses the black shield embroidery.  I would guess that they wouldn't want to use extra stitches, but on the other hand manufacturers might not want to switch out digital files when only the color of the product is changing.  It exposes a production problem with the æsthetic element I really love.

EDIT: And looking at my graphic now, I don't like the "black trap" version of the logo.  The gray stroke is too thin, and the wing blends into the background.  All they really needed was a black star, or a black outline around the star.

Archived