2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

4 minutes ago, charliehustle said:

C4RUZHiVYAAj1su.jpg:large

As a fan, I'm not a fan.

Dang, I'll have to wait to see some higher quality images once they actually unveil it tomorrow but as of now I'm not a fan either. I was envisioning the pinstripes being much thinner and I'm not fond of them using white shorts at all. And by the looks of the teaser they posted earlier, the shirt has the exact same heather pattern as the new NYCFC jersey. Adidas is really overusing the heather/melange patterns this year.

IMG_2815.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, aawagner011 said:

What's there to dislike? That's a sharp kit.

The main thing I don't like is the pinstripes. It looks like a perfect NYCFC kit. A great mix between Yankees and Man City.

I'd be more on board without the pinstripes, but even then the kit belongs on Man City. That is not great.

To be fair, it's not the best image. Maybe it will look better IRL or with better images.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

7 minutes ago, nas1787 said:

C4RUkPwUEAEv0dd.jpg:large

That triangle under the collar is awfully distracting. Nice socks though...

The socks are definitely the best part of that kit. The rest is just a little too plain and lacking creativity IMO. The collar is pretty terrible with that gray triangle under it, but the little details on the kit like the jocktag and back neck graphic are nice.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

13 minutes ago, charliehustle said:

The main thing I don't like is the pinstripes. It looks like a perfect NYCFC kit. A great mix between Yankees and Man City.

I'd be more on board without the pinstripes, but even then the kit belongs on Man City. That is not great.

To be fair, it's not the best image. Maybe it will look better IRL or with better images.

I'd argue that SKC shouldn't be restrained as they're one of the league veterans while NYC is the new kid on the block. Though, I agree it would make a fine NYC kit. And as far as the Manchester City connection goes, they're naturally going to get that from time to time just due to the color palette...but even they alternate between emphasizing white or dark blue trim from year to year.

According to attendees of tonight's Columbus Crew supporters group summit, the club showed off the new home jersey to the group. It is apparently yellow with the black Adidas stripes and a yellow and black checkerboard pattern running down the side. There are no photos because photos were not allowed to be taken at the event, but the description here should give a basic idea. Also, Barbasol is out as the jersey sponsor next season and the new deal will be finalized right before the season, plus the black kit will be back again for next season.

Pennants.jpg

SKC loses some veteran points since they changed name and colors in 2011, but: the weird thing to me is that they haven't used white trim at all, no? Like their homes and aways both have been strictly shades of blue since they abandoned the Wizards identity. So to switch to white trim now is weird enough, but to do so while switching trim schemes with a newer team whose parent club often looks a lot like this just makes it even worse. And the third shorts color in four years is the cherry on top.

Apart from the branding complaints, the pinstripes are an awkward width, the break for a sponsor patch is unnecessary, and the collar is kinda small. Just a botched execution all around imo.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

It does look like it should be ours. I've gotten used to seeing NYCFC with white accents.  But I vastly prefer the navy, and let somebody else be derided as a Man City clone. 

As for Columbus, thrilled that they're going back to yellow.  The black jerseys should be saved for alternates. 

14 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I'd argue that SKC shouldn't be restrained as they're one of the league veterans while NYC is the new kid on the block. Though, I agree it would make a fine NYC kit. And as far as the Manchester City connection goes, they're naturally going to get that from time to time just due to the color palette...but even they alternate between emphasizing white or dark blue trim from year to year.

I see what you're saying, and understand that it's unavoidable to an extent. NYCFC did sort of come out with what would be a nice SKC kit sans orange accents. These things are going to happen. It's also probably made worse by the fact that the SKC kit looks so similar to last year Man City kit.

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

SKC loses some veteran points since they changed name and colors in 2011, but: the weird thing to me is that they haven't used white trim at all, no? Like their homes and aways both have been strictly shades of blue since they abandoned the Wizards identity. So to switch to white trim now is weird enough, but to do so while switching trim schemes with a newer team whose parent club often looks a lot like this just makes it even worse. And the third shorts color in four years is the cherry on top.

Apart from the branding complaints, the pinstripes are an awkward width, the break for a sponsor patch is unnecessary, and the collar is kinda small. Just a botched execution all around imo.

Digby here was able to out into words some of the things that bothered me about the pinstripes. And I agree that the switch to white seems odd.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

I just think in this age where new kits are rolling out every single year, similar looks are going to happen. Like Digby mentioned, they've traditionally gone with the two tone blue but there's only so many variations of that you can do. At some point, they've got to branch out to get people to keep buying these things.

I wouldn't be surprised if instances such as this cause the kit market to become oversaturated. Fans might give some pushback on a new design that feeIs a bit foreign (though I do find it nice looking). I appreciate that MLS hasn't quite reached the European standard of 2-3 new kits for each team every season...but we're getting close.

50 minutes ago, nas1787 said:

C4RUkPwUEAEv0dd.jpg:large

That triangle under the collar is awfully distracting. Nice socks though...

Is the triangle sheer? If so, it looks more at place on a cocktail dress than a soccer shirt. What a weird detail.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

40 minutes ago, henchmeister said:

According to attendees of tonight's Columbus Crew supporters group summit, the club showed off the new home jersey to the group. It is apparently yellow with the black Adidas stripes and a yellow and black checkerboard pattern running down the side. There are no photos because photos were not allowed to be taken at the event, but the description here should give a basic idea. Also, Barbasol is out as the jersey sponsor next season and the new deal will be finalized right before the season, plus the black kit will be back again for next season.

Really glad Columbus is going back to a yellow primary, but I'm not sure about the checkerboard pattern running down the sides. That sounds like it's going to clash really badly with the adidas stripes on the sides of the shorts.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 hours ago, henchmeister said:

I hope they wear the yellow all year. That second kit needs to go away.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

KC looks like this 9 year old Anderlecht kit:

media_l_441144.jpg

This is exactly what I'm thought when I saw this kit, but all we know that adidas likes to recycling their old patterns/ideas.

For example on this Real Salt Lake away you can see stripes design from Bayern 12/13 away:

real-salt-lake-2017-away-kit-lk-1.jpg

^it's a replica

Orlando City home:

orlando-city-2017-home-kit-lk-1.jpg

^it's an authentic

DC United away:

dc-united-2017-away-kit-lk-1.jpg

^it's a replica

4r2eer.png

56 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

This is exactly what I'm thought when I saw this kit, but all we know that adidas likes to recycling their old patterns/ideas.

For example on this Real Salt Lake away you can see stripes design from Bayern 12/13 away:

real-salt-lake-2017-away-kit-lk-1.jpg

My god that is boring. 

Archived