2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, I wasn't very impressed with Minnesota's kits in action. The standalone Target is awkward, and the numbers should probably be black. It's all just a bit "off" to me.

Portland, however? My goodness. Let's just say, I'm an RSL fan and even I would buy that shirt. The whole kit is absolutely beautiful.

I'm really curious to see where Adidas goes with these kits when they have a full design cycle. 

9 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

San Diego is running a poll to name their potential expansion franchise.

Some of the options include:

• San Diego Bad Hombres
  • San Diego Taco Trucks
  • San Diego Chargers (COLD)
  • Footy McFooty Face

http://woobox.com/qxajy7/in1qox 

If you read the fine print, the funny internet ones (McFooty Face, Bad Hombres etc) will all be elegantly put to rest...

SoccerCitySD will submit the top 10 names to MLS - who then in turn checks the branding stuff, naming rights etc and then will weed out all of these more or less funny proposals swiftly leaving us with a couple of others to vote for.

22 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Which is why teams should be allowed third kits.

If I may...

Shirt/Shorts/Socks

Atlanta: Yellow/Blue/Yellow - inspired by city flag

Chicago: Light Blue/White/Light Blue - city flag

Colorado: White/Purple/Purple - "mountain" kit. White snowcaps, "purple mountain majesty". Also homage to the Rockies.

Columbus: Blue/Blue/Blue - "Columbus sailed the ocean blue"

DCU: Red/Black/Black - simply the other color that they haven't used

FCD: Black/Black/Black - There's a lot of oil in Texas, and they seem to be embracing the "Texas" theme

Houston: White-Grey/Orange/White-Grey - "space shuttle" kit. White "space shuttle", orange "fuel tank", white "solid rocket boosters" (I can't remember who it was, but someone on here did an incredible concept based off this idea)

LA Galaxy: Yellow/Green/Yellow - throwback

LAFC (including them just because) - Red/Red/Red - "Red Carpet" kit. Home would be black-gold, clash would be white.

Minnesota: Black/Black/Light Blue - They really need a dark kit. What will they wear against all the white teams?

Montreal: Red/White/Red - "Canadian" kit - inspired by Canadian flag

NE: Green/White/Red - inspired by NE flag

NYCFC: Orange/White/Blue - Mimicking the NYC flag

NYRB: Black-Red/Black/Black - MetroStars throwback

Orlando: Orange/White/Green - meant to look like an orange, to pay homage to both Orlando's citrus industry as well as a "thank you" to the Citrus Bowl

Philadelphia: Gold/Black/Gold - "Liberty bell" kit

Portland: White/White/White - throwback

RSL: Navy/Red/Navy - inverse of the normal look

SJ: Yellow-White/Black/Teal - throwback to the San Jose Clash (I wish they would make that the away kit, because then you could have the epic double-meaning of "San Jose Clash kit"

Seattle: Cyan/White/Cyan - sorta-throwback

SKC: White-Rainbow/Black/White - throwback

TFC: Grey/Grey/Grey - inverse of home (but without side panels)

Vancouver: Light Blue/Light Blue/Navy - You like rain so much, Whitecaps? Make one of your kits the color of rain. Gasp!

ExJworW.png

4 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Revs in Navy or white-red, Rapids in Yellow and I don't see no problem. :)

Ideally yeah, but forcing a team to wear their clash kit at home seems not ideal. Ironically i remember a game circa 2013 or 2014 when Colorado had a dark blue clash to go with its dark red home, forcing NE to wear white at home for a game.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That happened with Columbus at MLS Cup 2015 because Portland's kits were both darks. 

That's actually not quite correct. The banana kits were still designated as the primary in 2015. They also could've worn the black kits against the Timbers' green/white/green look as the league had previously allowed DC to do the same against them. But the main reason why Columbus wore their yellow primaries in that match, and why the Timbers wore their primaries as well, was that the league effectively made both clubs wear their home kits, which caused quite a stir among Timbers fans who wanted to see the club wear their "lucky" third kit. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Halfway through the season Columbus switched the designation as they had a solid win streak going. The league agreed with this until the final since the Portland red/black was too close to the Crew's black kit. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

37 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Halfway through the season Columbus switched the designation as they had a solid win streak going. The league agreed with this until the final since the Portland red/black was too close to the Crew's black kit. 

I'm pretty confident the league would've allowed Columbus to wear their black kit against Portland's green/white/green combination as that color matchup has been allowed as recently as last season:

IMG_3008.JPG

I don't think Columbus truly did officially switch the designation of their primary and secondary during the season, and I think it more came down to the league insisting that both teams wear their officially designated primary kits for the MLS Cup despite their respective winning streaks in their other kits. Portland had a solid win streak going prior to and during the playoffs with their third kits, but weren't allowed to wear it in the Cup for that very reason. I'm fairly confident it was the same with Columbus.

Edit: Here's the article from the MLS site which clearly says that both teams were to wear their PRIMARY kits for the 2015 MLS Cup.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/30/columbus-crew-sc-vs-portland-timbers-mls-cup-final-match-preview

In addition, Columbus wore their banana kits in 21 of 34 regular season matches in 2015, including 12 of the final 17. Of course, this doesn't include the playoffs, but it's pretty clear that the yellow kits were still designated as the primary kits throughout the entirety of the 2015 season.

IMG_3009.JPG

It was almost certainly the league's decision to force both teams to wear their primary kits in the Cup that season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

20 hours ago, Digby said:

Ideally yeah, but forcing a team to wear their clash kit at home seems not ideal. Ironically i remember a game circa 2013 or 2014 when Colorado had a dark blue clash to go with its dark red home, forcing NE to wear white at home for a game.

It was actually against San Jose. 7/6/13.

pixel.gif

patriotssignature.png

Archived