2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

Why is it that the MLS doesn't require a light and a dark kit? All you need to do is see a dark green vs black and it's horrible. Add a rainy night and they are almost identical. I mean we've had to change to white t-shirts in my rec league when colors were too close. 

sebastian-blanco-portland-timbers-021220 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Why is it that the MLS doesn't require a light and a dark kit? All you need to do is see a dark green vs black and it's horrible. Add a rainy night and they are almost identical. I mean we've had to change to white t-shirts in my rec league when colors were too close. 

sebastian-blanco-portland-timbers-021220 

To be fair, that's from a preseason game and when there's been an all black vs. dark green matchup in the regular season, the Timbers have worn white shorts:

IMG_3008.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

To be fair, that's from a preseason game and the when there's been an all black vs. dark green matchup in the regular season, the Timbers have worn white shorts:

IMG_3008.JPG

That's better but I seem to remember watching the Timbers vs Earthquakes from last year and it was really confusing on tv, even with the white shorts.

That being said, even as a Sounders fan, I like both Timbers' kits but think they should at least get a third that's white or yellow that can be used to avoid a dark vs dark situation. Even yellow socks in the matchup in the photos would be a great improvement. 

9 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

That's better but I seem to remember watching the Timbers vs Earthquakes from last year and it was really confusing on tv, even with the white shorts.

That being said, even as a Sounders fan, I like both Timbers' kits but think they should at least get a third that's white or yellow that can be used to avoid a dark vs dark situation. Even yellow socks in the matchup in the photos would be a great improvement. 

Next year they'll be moving away from the Rose City red theme for their secondary, so chances are they'll be getting a primarily white kit. I'm holding out hope for a white kit with kelly green hoops on the front, like the ones their USL affiliate debuted last season:

IMG_3016.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Next year they'll be moving away from the Rose City red theme for their secondary, so chances are they'll be getting a primarily white kit. I'm holding out hope for a white kit with kelly green hoops on the front, like the ones their USL affiliate debuted last season:

IMG_3016.JPG

Replace the green with the current one and add gold accents and we have a winner...

YVRMUBj.png

6 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Replace the green with the current one and add gold accents and we have a winner...

Ehhh I think the kelly green would be better, especially if it was paired with minimal yellow accents. That way it could be somewhat of a hark back to the hooped kits the USL Timbers wore back in 2002, but perhaps more significantly a tribute to the Timbers Army and their iconic scarves.

IMG_3018.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Would have to very careful not to overdo the kelly green in such a scenario, otherwise they'll end up with neither kit providing great contrast vs Seattle and possibly some blue teams too. But I'm a "maximize contrast" fan.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

22 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Ehhh I think the kelly green would be better, especially if it was paired with minimal yellow accents. That way it could be somewhat of a hark back to the hooped kits the USL Timbers wore back in 2002, but perhaps more significantly a tribute to the Timbers Army and their iconic scarves.

IMG_3018.JPG

Interesting... I was unaware of the connection to the supporters scarves. If done well that could be a really nice touch.

YVRMUBj.png

15 minutes ago, Digby said:

Would have to very careful not to overdo the kelly green in such a scenario, otherwise they'll end up with neither kit providing great contrast vs Seattle and possibly some blue teams too. But I'm a "maximize contrast" fan.

Yeah that could certainly be an issue, but I think solid white sleeves, a mostly solid white back, and solid white shorts and socks would provide sufficient contrast in such scenarios.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

11 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Remember when the Sounders had to change jerseys at half time since the black and green were too close? Looks ok here but it was horrible live. And Sounders would have won if they would have kept the black on for the full match :)

portland-timbers-vs-seattle-sounders-86a

06172015-dempsey-rips-780x549.jpg

Ahh yes, I remember that game well for when Dempsey showed his true colors (and for the Timbers' win)B)

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

That ref was an ass, Oba got injured in extra time, and that game essentially nuked the 2015 Sounders season.

The white shirts look pretty nice over green shorts though.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

22 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

That ref was an ass, Oba got injured in extra time, and that game essentially nuked the 2015 Sounders season.

That was nobody's fault but their own, but we can agree to disagree on that one. Clint's actions at the end of that match were inexcusable, though. 

I'd say that's enough on that subject, otherwise we run the risk of derailing this whole thread with Timbers/Sounders rivalry banter.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

27 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

That game was fantastic from an entertainment point of view, though. But those glow-in-the-dark shorts don't go nicely with anything.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived