MLB x UA 2020 (indefinite break)

Jj...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jj... said:

I know that rule is in place to avoid the baseballs on the uniforms looking like actual baseballs, and I think it was in place before the original Jays uniforms- but since the Jay obstructed the ball it wasn't an issue.

(I could be wrong)

If this is the case, the Blue Jays really missed an opportunity.  As  much as I love the look they have now, it would look even better with the ball behind the Blue Jay.  

14 hours ago, Jj... said:

Tampa Bay gets an overhaul that reintroduces the devil ray as the focus point of their identity, without readapting the "Devil Rays" team name. The Rays brand is now driven by a nautical theme, seen in the new script and colour palette. Green is adopted as the primary colour to give the brand distinction among the MLB, furthermore, they are the only team with this green/navy colour combo.

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and throwback uniforms. One new hat style will be used by the Rays for the 2020 season. The devil ray will once again be the emblem seen on their caps; these hats will have no letter insignia, drawing back from the inaugural Devil Rays caps that were only worn during the '98 season. The throwback jersey pays homage to the early Devil Rays uniforms.

This certainly isn't bad, and it definitely accomplishes making their look more unique. Dark green and navy worked in the mid-2000s, and I think it still works here. I'm just not sold on the script and monogram. It seems a little too minor league-ish to me, not polished enough for a Major League team.

And one small nitpick on the writeup: the caps with the ray logo were never actually worn on field, be it in 1998 or any other time during that uniform era, until the throwback game in 2009. The plan was to wear that cap at home and the TB cap on the road, and was designated as such in their unveiling in 1995, but sometime between then and actually taking the field, they changed their minds and only wore the TB caps. Why they chose them to wear in the '09 throwback game is anybody's guess, but I'll admit that the ray logo is my favorite logo the team has ever had, so I didn't mind, and I don't mind them here at all.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Back to post a few more...

Utg2FOp.jpg

There have been a couple of suggestions to make the concepts a bit less reserved, so here is one of the sets that would break uniform traditions.

I have gone with a faux-back look for the Angels. They will be wearing red jerseys (white pants) at home, and sand uniforms on the road. Elements of the look are familiar, but this gives the LA Angels an identity that is uniquely their own.

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and faux-back uniforms. Two new hat styles will be used by the Angels in the 2020 season, wearing their "A" caps at home and their "LA" caps on the road. The faux-back jersey is meant to look like a 50's uniforms, making use of the unique contrast between the red and sand of their colour palette.

Great thread.  Creativity is A+ while still remaining in the realm of possibility.  While I don't like every uni, well done on the presentation.

My biggest dislike is the Rays - the home font looks like NBA Christmas Day jerseys, and the road wordmark needs to be capitalized. "tampa bay" just looks gimmicky.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I dare say I like this set more than the Angels' current look. I'm not feeling the red cap with red "A," though. You can barely make out the logo. 

What font did you use for the wordmarks? 

Russel's Carnival font!

Seattle up next.

RgfZNf4.jpg

The Mariners have a simple, unique brand coming into the 2020 season. They will continue using a teal-navy colour palette, but now the teal is being more emphasized. Elements of the look are based on their identity from 1987 to present day.

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and faux-back uniforms. One new hat style will be used by the M's in the 2020 season, wearing a variation of their "S" caps from 1987. The faux-back jersey is meant to emulate their original identity from the 70's and 80's, embracing the yellow-blue colour palette and trident logo.

8aDI5FO.jpg

Texas' rebrand is a modern adaptation of their (already progressive) brand. The biggest change is seen in their primary insignia, which is now sharper, and contains bevels. The modern logo falls more in line with the Rangers brand from recent years.

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and throwback uniforms. Two new hat style will be worn in the 2020 season, both of them have a blue base, featuring the new insignia. The throwback jersey is based on the Rangers uniforms between 1986 and 1993. These uniforms are simple, and classic- giving the team a second option for home games.

Silver letters on a white and gray uniform. Another interesting idea! Not sure how it would look on a real jersey but it's a cool concept. Maybe think about using a "dirtier" gray for the road uni so there's some more contrast with the wordmark?

The new beveled logo is really sharp looking. Love the throwback, too. 

Looking forward to Oakland! 

AGbKb3J.jpg

The A's get a faux-back treatment that really emphasizes their iconic colour palette. The most drastic change is the yellow road uniforms they will be donning in the 2020 season. 

The primary set consists of a home, away, and two alternate uniforms. Two hat styles will be recycled for the 2020 season. The primary uniforms (and one of the alternates) feature a 3-stripe pattern, giving them a retro vibe. 

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

Beautiful! I love the inverted script colors on the home jersey. 

Which division is next?

NL Central is next, I'll do my best to get the first set up tomorrow!

Any suggestions on the first team will be entertained :upside:

Archived