Longest gap between games at one venue

Graham_Clayton

As part of the 2017 Australian Football League pre-season competition, North Melbourne will play a game at Arden Street, which was their home ground up till the end of the 1985 VFL season, meaning that the ground has seen a gap of 31 years between competitive games.

Does anyone know of any other football stadium or other sporting stadium that has had a similar or longer gap between games being played there?

I believe the Los Angeles Rams spent 37 years (1979-2016, with 21 of those seasons playing in a completely separate metro area) between playing games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Granted, it's only a temporary situation until the Inglewood stadium gets built, but an interesting nugget of knowledge nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I believe the Los Angeles Rams spent 37 years (1979-2016, with 21 of those seasons playing in a completely separate metro area) between playing games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Granted, it's only a temporary situation until the Inglewood stadium gets built, but an interesting nugget of knowledge nonetheless.

I only knew this because I heard a similar factoid about the Falcons last playing in the Coliseum last Sunday.  But, obviously, the Coliseum has had sporting events since 1979.

Can't think of any venue in the US that would go so long without a single sporting event.  It's probably going to be some old basketball gym.  Aside from venues like the AstroDome or the Pontiac Silverdome, we're pretty good at not letting old sports venues just sit there.  They either get torn down or get remodeled into something useful or the like.

Only thing that comes to my mind was that one-day venue they used for some field events for the 2004 Athens Summer Games.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I only knew this because I heard a similar factoid about the Falcons last playing in the Coliseum last Sunday.  But, obviously, the Coliseum has had sporting events since 1979.

Can't think of any venue in the US that would go so long without a single sporting event.  It's probably going to be some old basketball gym.  Aside from venues like the AstroDome or the Pontiac Silverdome, we're pretty good at not letting old sports venues just sit there.  They either get torn down or get remodeled into something useful or the like.

Only thing that comes to my mind was that one-day venue they used for some field events for the 2004 Athens Summer Games.

That was the "original" Olympic site, so 2,000-3,000 years?

It's not quite the same thing since there were many other events between games (and since the return was an exhibition), but the Dodgers played their last regular season home game at the LA Coliseum in 1961 and returned to play a spring training game there in 2008.

St. Louis Arena (the old Checkerdome) hosted the NHL's Eagles for their single season of 1934-35, following their move from Ottawa, then the Blues formed and played there from 1967-1994. So that'd be ~32 years in-between games, not counting the handful of times the Blackhawks played there in the 50's?

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

That was the "original" Olympic site, so 2,000-3,000 years?

They held the shot put for the 2004 Athens Games at the Olympia Stadion which is now pretty much an archeological site but was the location multiple events during the ancient Olympics. So it would have gone from 393 A.D. when the ancient games were banned to 2004 A.D. without an event.

Panathenaic Stadium in Athens was originally built as a racecourse in 330 B.C., then rebuilt as stadium in 144 A.D., it was abandoned sometime in the 4th century then excavated and refurbished in 1869 for a early Olympic revivals in 1870 and 1875, it then hosted the first modern games in 1896. Following the 1896 games it was used primarily as a basketball venue along with it being the site of events held by the military junta that ran Greece from 1967 to 1974, for the 2004 Athens Games it was used as the finish line for both marathons and archery.

RFK Memorial Stadium had it's last Senators game in 1971.  There was an Old Timer's Day game in 1982.  There wasn't another baseball game played in that venue until the Nationals' opener in 2006, so 3 games in 35 years.  There's other stuff that goes on there obviously.

9 hours ago, CS85 said:

RFK Memorial Stadium had it's last Senators game in 1971.  There was an Old Timer's Day game in 1982.  There wasn't another baseball game played in that venue until the Nationals' opener in 2006, so 3 games in 35 years.  There's other stuff that goes on there obviously.

2005 actually

On 12/6/2016 at 6:12 PM, DustDevil61 said:

And, if the Chargers move back to LA and into the Coliseum until the new stadium is built that will have been a 56 year gap.