infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 13

infrared41

Week 13 was another pretty good week for uniform match ups. Fortunately...or unfortunately, I suppose, week 13 wasn't the "embarrassment of riches" last week was, but there were still some great match ups. As always, the lists are just my opinion. 

Before we get started, I want to take a second to send a shout out to fellow Ohio State alum, Ezekiel Elliot for wearing these cleats against the Vikings on Thursday. 

zeke_1480450448740_2339320_ver1.0_640_36

Animal rescue and shelters are my...ahem...pet cause. (Pun fully intended.)  I'm a big fan of the SPCA, the Humane Society, and any other animal rescue group. It was nice to see the cause represented in the NFL.

Best:

1. 49ers - Bears: One of the best home uniforms in the league matched up with one of the best road uniforms in the league...and it was snowing. (Snow makes every football game look better, right?) This one was an easy choice for the top spot.

pBGEwEq.jpg7O5OR6I.jpg

2. Giants - Steelers: The Steelers can't catch a break with these lists. It seems like there is always a game or two that I like just a little bit better than the Steelers match up. I'd like to say that in any other week this one takes the top spot, but the Steelers can't seem to find that "other week." B)Still a great looking game. Two classic looks.

Ai86hUT.jpg

3. Colts - Jets: Two of my favorite uniforms. The Jets green isn't the greatest, but I still think it's a really good looking uniform. 

AXDP7fv.jpg

4. Bills - Raiders: Another example of the dark colored pants throwing off the balance. I like Buffalo's white over blue look, but I don't think it looks as good when matched up with the Raiders. The Bills in all white would have put this game in contention for the top spot.

EmYBPfx.jpg

5. Lions - Saints: My guess is some of you will argue that this one should be ranked higher than 5th. It was a good looking match up, but I honestly didn't like it better than any of the games in front of it. I really like the Saints throwbacks. I'd like them even more if the number colors were reversed and all the gold matched up better. Put the Lions in their previous uniforms and I like this game even more.

UvY38Hc.jpg

Worst:

1. Dolphins - Ravens: This game reminded me of a 70's black light poster

iXrpygo.jpgFjKvRBP.jpg

2. Eagles - Bengals: OK, to be fair, the Eagles were innocent bystanders. This one is all on the Bengals. I couldn't let them get away with that awful combo. Cool helmets, though. 

u4Qceia.jpg

3. Broncos - Jaguars: How bad do you have to look to make those dated Broncos PYPs look good? This bad. 

yNgLkfA.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Niners vs. Bears, in their classic uniforms, in the snow and mud is exactly what football is supposed to look like.

This was a really good week, overall. It's a shame the Bills wore blue pants, because otherwise, there would've been four matchups that could easily be #1 most weeks.

Glad to see someone else also would prefer white numbers on those Saints uniforms - there's a little too much gold right now, which makes the uniform look a tad dark (especially under a dome).

Matte pants hold the throwback Saints back. That shade of gold doesn't work if it isn't metallic. But I still like gold numbers for them, and would want them both home and away.

Other than that, no arguments. Another good list.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Holy crap that Eagles/Bengals matchup looks like a throwback to a more putrid era called the early 2000's.

my vote for best this week has to go to the most footbally looking matchup of them all. The Niners and Bears, outdoors in the snow and on grass. Hard to pick against that.

Bears/49ers was a shoe in with the snow.  The combo was already great on paper, but the heavy snow?  Can't top that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Big ups to you, 'red for including Ezekiel Elliot's cleats. My fiancée's family runs an animal rescue group and I am so happy to see an NFL player fighting for animal rights. Great list, too. I enjoy reading these each week.

The Bengals are pretty much "cool helmet though" in every game they've played since the end of the 2003 season. :(

I want them to change, but I'm afraid Nike won't be able to help themselves and we'll end up with something much much worse. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Bengals are pretty much "cool helmet though" in every game they've played since the end of the 2003 season. :(

I want them to change, but I'm afraid Nike won't be able to help themselves and we'll end up with something much much worse. 

I don't know how it could be worse than the plain white side panels on a black jersey. So much potential, such bad execution. Hated these since they came out because of this small detail. If they just put stripes on that sides it would make the set that much better imo. 

OT: Bengals, Jets, Falcons and Rams need new updated sets. Bengals and Rams should definitely keep their helmets though. 

IMO, the ideal design for the Jets would be the current design using kelly green - basically the old 1960s uniform on a modern template. Their biggest problem is the mismatching greens, and I think the forest green looks very muted on the current Nike jerseys.

The Jet's current design is superior to the old 80s-90s design, IMO. Not that that was a poor design or uniform by any means, but the current design itself (not the forest green color) is more visually attractive and has more history behind it (a Super Bowl victory, AFL championship, and 3 AFC Championship game appearances).

Can I admit I liked the Ravens-Phins matchup? Not often Purple goes up against Aqua in uniform matchups, and I feel the Ravens jerseys are usually solid.

The one thing I would've preferred is the Ravens wearing purple socks over the leotard look, but that's a small nitpick. You're right about the Niners-Bears game being #1 though. The jerseys, the SNOW..... just yes, every day of the week. That Bengals-Eagles matchup was the real barf fest of the week.  

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I'm not sure why people prefer kelly green for the Jets. For the Eagles sure, they wore kelly green from their inception 'till the mid 90s. But the Jets look good in forest green imo, the main problem is the mismatching greens (thanks, Nike).

I do like your #1 matchup, but as a biased Steelers fan I'd put the Steelers-Giants at #1. It also helps that the Giants roadies are among my favorites.

NSFCvyu.png

1 hour ago, JWhiz96 said:

I'm not sure why people prefer kelly green for the Jets. For the Eagles sure, they wore kelly green from their inception 'till the mid 90s. But the Jets look good in forest green imo, the main problem is the mismatching greens (thanks, Nike).

Well, as a Jets fan myself, there's a couple of reasons I'd like a change back to kelly green. The Jets also wore kelly green from their inception (well, the 1963 renaming, to be precise) up until the late '90s. Obviously they weren't around quite as long as the Eagles were prior to the color change, but kelly green has been the Jets' color for the bulk of the franchise's history, including our lone Super Bowl championship. And we're not a "new" franchise, certainly not any more than teams like the Raiders, Broncos, Pats, and even the Cowboys.

I actually liked the forest green when it first debuted back in 1998. It looked much better when Reebok was the supplier than it does now, both because of the awful mismatched greens, and the overall shade just came off a little differently. Might be a fabric thing, or Nike might be using a slightly different dye (I'm sure someone would have more insight into that). Or maybe it's just that the mismatched greens have introduced confusion as to the "correct" shade of forest green. Not sure, but the Nike uniforms look terrible as-is (and it's not just the mismatching greens causing that, IMO).

I think the thing that confirmed to me that kelly green would be an improvement was the Jets' infamous color rush game against the Bills. The shade of green on those color rush uniforms popped much more than the forest green, and looked much better on field. They were more vibrant and eye-catching than the muted shade of green the Jets currently use. Use white pants and white sleeves on that uniform, and you'd pretty much have the perfect Jets look.

It's funny too, because I absolutely love how the Packers' forest green plays off the athletic gold (same for the Oakland Athletics, though they use a slightly different shade of green). But the simple forest green and white just doesn't pop out to me. "Muted" is the best description I can find for it, really.

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Big ups to you, 'red for including Ezekiel Elliot's cleats. My fiancée's family runs an animal rescue group and I am so happy to see an NFL player fighting for animal rights. Great list, too. I enjoy reading these each week.

God bless your fiancée's family and the work they're doing. Most people don't just how much hard work is involved in running an animal rescue group. Tell them some anonymous guy on a message board says thanks from the bottom of his heart for the work they do. B) 

I was thrilled to see an NFL player using the cleats opportunity to draw awareness to animal adoption and rescue. With any luck, Zeke is just the first of what I hope will be many more. 

Thanks! I always get a kick out of hearing someone enjoys my silly lists. 

BB52Big.jpg

re: Jets

I prefer them in forest green and white because that seems like such an unusual two-color palette. (Of course, in practice, it's more like a five-color palette.) Usually you think of and white only being a primary color, i.e., red or blue, or maybe black, though most black/white teams use a lot of grey, too. Dark green, that's different. I'd switch to the NY oval on the helmets but keep everything else.

re; Bills

Blue pants with blue socks doesn't work. White/white/blue/blue looks extremely imbalanced to me, way too bottom-heavy. My ideal road sets for the Bills would be red/white/blue/red or red/white/white/blue. Still miss that red helmet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

re: Jets

I prefer them in forest green and white because that seems like such an unusual two-color palette. (Of course, in practice, it's more like a five-color palette.) Usually you think of and white only being a primary color, i.e., red or blue, or maybe black, though most black/white teams use a lot of grey, too. Dark green, that's different. I'd switch to the NY oval on the helmets but keep everything else.

I like both the kelly green and the forest green, but if it were my choice to make, I'd choose the forest green as well. Provided someone could fix the five-color palette problem with the forest green. But I'd also be fine with a return to kelly green. 

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Holy crap that Eagles/Bengals matchup looks like a throwback to a more putrid era called the early 2000's.

my vote for best this week has to go to the most footbally looking matchup of them all. The Niners and Bears, outdoors in the snow and on grass. Hard to pick against that.

For us older folks (i.e., time goes fast and this does not seem that long ago), it's a reminder that teams like the Bengals and Eagles have had these uniforms for a long time now, particularly the Eagles.  And they are both getting really, really stale.

A while back, someone started a thread titled "Uniforms that have not aged well."  The Eagles may top that list for me.   

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

If I could get a "no helmet change" guarantee (which actually I think is likely), I'd want to roll the dice on a change.  As I mentioned above, they've had this garbage for a long time now and the look's been terrible every minute of every game.  The most positive thing (aside from the great helmet) is that since their introduction, some other teams have introduced even worse crap.  So they've moved up the list.

Maybe if we're lucky, they'd be somewhat inspired by the 1981 to 2002 looks... 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived