Why are NFL socks white on the bottom?

stumpygremlin

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

In my eyes that settles it.  they probably got sick of the stirrups so just made socks that were white on the bottom for safety.  

Not needed today obviously, but just stuck.

I'm not so sure it's that simple.  The picture of Earl Morrall and Johnny Unitas was from the 60s, so stirrups made it at least that far.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

technically we don't know that they're wearing stirrups under the white socks.  Could be cut off stirrups, or just a cut-off purple sock, or a "legwarmer" type of thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that's true now.  In fact, I assume no one wears stirrups these days.  However, I'm pretty sure Johnny U wore the stirrups under his white socks.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

869ed4b4f23041f8d496ac9c917e9072.jpg
c14621fe21c737218f5434bc8917e9ba.jpg6370081705_9f7c0c2c88_b.jpg

Pretty interesting that the style guide entry from the 1980s still had stirrups there.

So, yeah, looking at things, the white on NFL socks were an evolutionary thing. It started with those baseball-like stirrups, and then players covered up the arched part, and now we have one-piece socks. Personally, I prefer the one-piece sock, because it's less of a hassle to wear, IMO.

On another note, I despise the look of covering up as much as the white as possible, or showing too much of it. Just meet halfway, and you have a nice look.

UBwef0L.png

I really hate the trend away from white socks.  To me the colored sock without the white bottom is just not a good look.  I get it. I am old.  I grew up with all sports using white socks with stirrups or color blocks & stripes on the upper portion.  I still will only wear white socks with athletic shoes (sneakers still the word I use).  Wearing black socks to me is just something accountants and the cast of Revenge of the Nerds did when they played a sport.  It is one of the reasons (only one) why I am really hating the Color Rush looks each Thursday.  Give me old school look every time.  No blue socks, electric or volt green socks, black socks, just white with stripes. 

On 12/9/2016 at 10:51 PM, WideRight said:

I really hate the trend away from white socks.  To me the colored sock without the white bottom is just not a good look.  I get it. I am old.  I grew up with all sports using white socks with stirrups or color blocks & stripes on the upper portion.  I still will only wear white socks with athletic shoes (sneakers still the word I use).  Wearing black socks to me is just something accountants and the cast of Revenge of the Nerds did when they played a sport.  It is one of the reasons (only one) why I am really hating the Color Rush looks each Thursday.  Give me old school look every time.  No blue socks, electric or volt green socks, black socks, just white with stripes. 

To be fair, a truly old school look includes much more color than white on the leg. Google 1920s NFL and most of the images show players with black high tops, a couple inches of white sanitary sock, then color all the rest of the way up the leg.

As for the topic at hand, stirrups were once commonly used in football, in conjunction with white sanitary socks as shown.

Nowadays, team issued socks are one piece with the top being the team design and the bottom being white. The only thing that matters in the eyes of the uniform inspectors is the visual, though, and there are countless ways players wear their socks. Many wear colored tights with white crew length socks. Some obtain what are basically leg warmers or footless socks (you may have even seen some players wear them on their forearms), and players may use these in conjunction with white crew socks as well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 12/9/2016 at 2:23 PM, leopard88 said:

I'm not so sure it's that simple.  The picture of Earl Morrall and Johnny Unitas was from the 60s, so stirrups made it at least that far

The first time I played organized football, I was issued stirrups.  I was in 8th grade at the time, and it was 1996.  IIRC I didn't replace them with solid color socks until '98.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

45 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And somewhere in the world, there's a banned member just dying to issue a scathing reply to this post.

well, I didn't mean to start a hosiery war, but so many teams look like butt with the solid pants/solid sock look. Saints and Ravens for sure. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived