Mile High - Colorado Rockies Rebrand

DTConcepts

After getting a little bored and thinking of teams in more sports than hockey that needed an update, I decided on the Colorado Rockies. I'm not sure about you guys, but from the moment I really started to really started to look at the Rockies' logo, I realized it was just crap. The font was outdated and just looked bad, and it was an odd mashup of wordmark and logo that just doesn't work.

However, I tried to redo that while maintaining some of the logo's best aspects, and adding some new mountains and double purple. My goal for the redesigned Rockies was to be mostly black-free to create a more colorful and unique identity. Here is my initial product.

Main Logo1 Pres.png

With the primary logo, it is what I wanted it to be; a more simple, more purple, updated version of their current logo. I completely redid the mountains, which was my goal, as well as refined the shape and introduced a new font. However, when I look at the area under the mountains and around the "Colorado", something looks off. I can't put my finger on it, and I'd love if one of you guys could help me out.

Here's a secondary logo I made pretty quickly. Not a ton to say, just a recolored Colorado flag 'C'. It'd make a good cap logo.

Main Logo2 Pres.png

In addition, I had some spare time and decided to photoshop my logo where the huge Rockies logo sign is at Coors Field.

New Coors Field Pres.png

I was going to make jerseys, but I need to get more ideas and actually figure out how to make a good baseball jersey.

What are your thoughts?

14 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

Update looks much better. Uniforms?

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Hoping to see some uniforms! 

Got uniforms right here. Apologies if they're not any good, I've never made baseball jerseys before.

Anyways, with the home, home alt, and road alt, I tried to keep it unique while also keeping it somewhat classy, by making what would normally just be colored in shoulders into full-fledged mountains. The regular road, however, takes the classic path, being the odd one out in this set. They are in this order: Home, home alt, away, away alt.

Home Jersey Pres.png

Home Alt Jersey Pres.png

Away Jersey Pres.png

Away Alt Jersey Pres.png

Thoughts?

Really nice work on the uniforms! The wordmarks bookended by larger letters solves a problem a lot of designers seem to run into when trying to come up with more interesting wordmarks for the Rockies. 

I think the mountain ranges come up too high on the sleeves. You could probably cut them in half and they would be more effective.  

I would make the road alt dark purple to differentiate it from the primary, since the only differences there are the color of the wordmarks and numbers and the mountains on the sleeves. Besides, darker colored alts are usually worn on the road. Speaking of the road set, the gray cap is a nice old school-style touch. 

From a technical standpoint, the player numbers on the back are waaaaaaay too big. Bringing them down to a more realistic size would go a long way. 

All in all nice job. I hope you decide to do more MLB concepts like this in the future. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Really nice work on the uniforms! The wordmarks bookended by larger letters solves a problem a lot of designers seem to run into when trying to come up with more interesting wordmarks for the Rockies. 

I think the mountain ranges come up too high on the sleeves. You could probably cut them in half and they would be more effective.  

I would make the road alt dark purple to differentiate it from the primary, since the only differences there are the color of the wordmarks and numbers and the mountains on the sleeves. Besides, darker colored alts are usually worn on the road. Speaking of the road set, the gray cap is a nice old school-style touch. 

From a technical standpoint, the player numbers on the back are waaaaaaay too big. Bringing them down to a more realistic size would go a long way. 

All in all nice job. I hope you decide to do more MLB concepts like this in the future. 

Thanks! I've never been a huge fan of baseball, so small errors like that are bound to happen.

32 minutes ago, BenD said:

Not a huge fan of the word mark, and he think it'd be a lot better if some of the elements were shrunk a bit. All in all nice work, and I was wondering why white socks on the road sets?

Thanks! I don't know, I've never payed attention to baseball socks, and I figured it'd look cool.

Thanks for the support, guys!

Not better than what they have already. The sleeves are a bit much, they just look messy, like someone spilled a Slurpee on the shoulders. The wordmark doesn't stand out as anything noteworthy or distinguishable from other teams. The logo is, well, crap. No way to say it nicely. Part of it is really cluttered and part of it is really boring. The space isn't utilized well and there is very little contrast. Lavender purple looks awful for a baseball team. You already have one shade of purple, two is overdoing it especially when you use grey as well.

2 hours ago, Canucklehead800 said:

Not better than what they have already. The sleeves are a bit much, they just look messy, like someone spilled a Slurpee on the shoulders. The wordmark doesn't stand out as anything noteworthy or distinguishable from other teams. The logo is, well, crap. No way to say it nicely. Part of it is really cluttered and part of it is really boring. The space isn't utilized well and there is very little contrast. Lavender purple looks awful for a baseball team. You already have one shade of purple, two is overdoing it especially when you use grey as well.

There's ALWAYS a way to say it at least nicer than you did.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

3 hours ago, Canucklehead800 said:

The wordmark doesn't stand out as anything noteworthy or distinguishable from other teams.

Disagree. The block lettering is, at the very least, more interesting than their current Times New Roman-esque wordmarks. 

The logo is, well, crap. No way to say it nicely. 

You know what a way to say it nicely is? Not calling it "crap" in the first place and instead just explaining what you find wrong with the logo. 

Lavender purple looks awful for a baseball team.

I'm sure a lot of people said the same thing about royal purple when the Rockies first came into the league. The lavender provides a better contrast with the royal purple than black does on the Rockies' current set. 

4 hours ago, Canucklehead800 said:

Not better than what they have already. The sleeves are a bit much, they just look messy, like someone spilled a Slurpee on the shoulders.

Good comparison, but I beg to differ. And from what I can see, most people do too.

The wordmark doesn't stand out as anything noteworthy or distinguishable from other teams.

I don't see any other team using the name "ROCKIES", nor do I see any MLB teams using those colors or that font. Fair point, otherwise.

The logo is, well, crap. No way to say it nicely. 

Here's a little template I prepared (and also learned in 2nd grade) to give constructive cricism: "I dislike this because ____. You could fix it by _____." Let's use that one in the future, ok?

Lavender purple looks awful for a baseball team. You already have one shade of purple, two is overdoing it especially when you use grey as well.

I haven't seen you complain on any other double-purple Rockies concepts here, nor have I seen you complain about anyone's concepts on here except mine. Again, I think the vast majority of people would disagree with you on that statement. The Rockies should minimalise the overused black and focus on a more unique color scheme.

All in all, a little decency could go a long way for you, along with learning how to give constructive criticism and not hating everything I make. You can say you dislike something, but seemingly going out of your way to insult nearly every concept I, and only I, post on here is a tad too far. You need to stop.

Sound good? 

And before you cry "Learn to take criticism!", just remember you called my work "spilled Slurpee" and "crap". Like you said on one of my earlier posts, your words. Not mine.

I, for one, like the set. A couple of less "rude" suggestions:

1) I think lavender can be incorporated into the away jerseys more. This will make the set more consistent.

2) I think the Colorado "C" should be the cap logo. You even said it would be good on a cap, so why not use it?

3) I get its on the logo, but the RockieS and ColoradO would look better as Rockies and Colorado. The "O" on the jerseys looks similar to a "0".

The logo is miles better than what they have now, though. Great job. I think the unis are where some improvements can be made.

4 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

I, for one, like the set. A couple of less "rude" suggestions:

1) I think lavender can be incorporated into the away jerseys more. This will make the set more consistent.

2) I think the Colorado "C" should be the cap logo. You even said it would be good on a cap, so why not use it?

3) I get its on the logo, but the RockieS and ColoradO would look better as Rockies and Colorado. The "O" on the jerseys looks similar to a "0".

The logo is miles better than what they have now, though. Great job. I think the unis are where some improvements can be made.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, and not calling my work spilled Slurpee and crap! I'll probably end up fixing that when I can get on a computer or after finals.

Sorry for another reply :P, I just think have two ideas that could pull this set together.

1. Make the outline on the mountains thicker on the white jersey.

2. USE THE C AS THE CAP LOGO.

40 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Here's a little template I prepared (and also learned in 2nd grade) to give constructive cricism: "I dislike this because ____. You could fix it by _____." Let's use that one in the future, ok?

That was one of the best posts I've seen on these boards. Kudos.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

There's ALWAYS a way to say it at least nicer than you did.

I call it like it is.

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

Good comparison, but I beg to differ. And from what I can see, most people do too.

I don't see any other team using the name "ROCKIES", nor do I see any MLB teams using those colors or that font. Fair point, otherwise.

I haven't seen you complain on any other double-purple Rockies concepts here, nor have I seen you complain about anyone's concepts on here except mine. Again, I think the vast majority of people would disagree with you on that statement. The Rockies should minimalise the overused black and focus on a more unique color scheme.

All in all, a little decency could go a long way for you, along with learning how to give constructive criticism and not hating everything I make. You can say you dislike something, but seemingly going out of your way to insult nearly every concept I, and only I, post on here is a tad too far. You need to stop.

Sound good? 

And before you cry "Learn to take criticism!", just remember you called my work "spilled Slurpee" and "crap". Like you said on one of my earlier posts, your words. Not mine.

Like I said, the shoulders look messy. What's messy and purple? A Slurpee.

The font should stand out and make the team unique. You want block font that a million other teams use? Be my guest. Doesn't help create an identity.

I told you what I found wrong with your logo as well as what you could fix. Maybe your second grade class didn't teach reading. Take a look.

If I saw any other double purple concepts then that goes for them too. Forgive me if I missed one or two. As for singling you out, don't give yourself so much credit. I've posted on here plenty.

The Rockies already have a unique color scheme. How many other teams use royal purple, black and silver? Lavender for lavender's sake does not help you when nothing is wrong with what they wear now. 

You've apparently been posting for a while right? If it bugs you that much then maybe you shouldn't post. You see, the thing is, when you post something on the internet, anyone can say whatever they want about it. Am I being nice about it? No, but that doesn't negate the validity of my argument. Sound good?

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Disagree. The block lettering is, at the very least, more interesting than their current Times New Roman-esque wordmarks. 

You know what a way to say it nicely is? Not calling it "crap" in the first place and instead just explaining what you find wrong with the logo. 

I'm sure a lot of people said the same thing about royal purple when the Rockies first came into the league. The lavender provides a better contrast with the royal purple than black does on the Rockies' current set. 

Disagree.

If there was a problem with what I said then I think the mods would have taken care of it. It's not like I'm only stopping by to say ''crap''. Sure I used it like an adjective, but constructive criticism was attached.

Lavender doesn't provide contrast with royal purple, especially the way it's used here. Silver works better.

11 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

constructive criticism was attached.

There was no suggestions on how to fix it. You said there was open space, but didn't tell me how to fill it with or what to do with it at all. Do I put the wordmark there? Do I move the mountains down?

11 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

Like I said, the shoulders look messy

How do I fix it? Take out the mountains all together? Take the identity out of the jerseys and make them another bland, boring, rehash of other teams?

15 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

I told you what I found wrong with your logo as well as what you could fix. Maybe your second grade class didn't teach reading. Take a look.

There was no suggestions on how to fix it. You said there was open space, but didn't tell me how to fill it with or what to do with it at all. Do I put the wordmark there? Do I move the mountains down? You essentially called it a mess and gave no possible solutions.

16 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

If I saw any other double purple concepts then that goes for them too. Forgive me if I missed one or two. As for singling you out, don't give yourself so much credit. I've posted on here plenty.

You only have 43 posts. Have all of them been on my threads? No. Did I claim that? No. However, you never related anyone else's concept to crap or a spilled drink, or anything as bad as either of those. You've always picked apart my concepts, and no one else's.

18 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

Lavender for lavender's sake does not help you when nothing is wrong with what they wear now. 

How many teams use lavender as a primary color? Very few. How many in the MLB? None. How many teams use black as a primary color? Tons. How many MLB teams use black as a primary color? Multiple. "Lavender for lavender's sake" is better than black for black's sake by far.

21 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

You've apparently been posting for a while right? If it bugs you that much then maybe you shouldn't post. You see, the thing is, when you post something on the internet, anyone can say whatever they want about it. Am I being nice about it? No, but that doesn't negate the validity of my argument. Sound good?

Did I ever say your argument was invalid? No again. Myself and others said it was overly harsh. Like I said, "You can say you dislike something, but seemingly going out of your way to insult nearly every concept I, and only I, post on here is a tad too far. You need to stop." And saying I should get off the boards because you were being a jerk? That's also over the line.

Maybe you should stop going out of your way to insult me, stop continuing this stupid argument, post some of your concepts on the boards instead of bashing everyone else's, and learn to take criticism yourself.

Sound good?

Archived