North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Some people on the MLS Facebook page got real pissy about the start of the Atlanta/NYC game being moved to ESPN News due to a college softball game running long. Forgive me for being a realist, but doesn't the NCAA (as a whole) have way more pull than MLS? I'm not surprised (or upset) about the situation. Yet, some people treat it as if the heads of ESPN and the NCAA came together and took a dump on the steps of MLS headquarters smh. Seriously man, some of this league's fans are way too much.

Seems like the outrage was more about missing three goals than it was about the game in general, at least from what I read on the Atlanta United fan's Facebook page.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw that Orlando had two reds tonight. How does Chicago have 21 shots, 2 extra guys and no goals?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 2017-06-04 at 11:07 PM, DG_Now said:

Just saw that Orlando had two reds tonight. How does Chicago have 21 shots, 2 extra guys and no goals?

Toronto lost last year in San Jose to 9 men. The winning goal came after the Quakes went down to 9 on a howler from Bono. Soccer is a funny sport. 

1zqy8ok.gif

On 6/4/2017 at 11:07 PM, DG_Now said:

I watched the game on tv. 

Chicago stayed with their offensive strategy, not changing it, adding at least one more striker. 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Ok - I was gonna post this, but forgot about it.

Tell me one reason why these are reds.

RED CARD: Rafael Ramos sees red for for a clumsy challenge

RED CARD: Antonio Nocerino is dismissed from the game for a bad tackle

Only one.

Ramos should have gotten a red for that play.

That's worthy of a yellow, and he should be shown red for two yellows.(he had gotten one just earlier)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

8 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Ramos should have gotten a red for that play.

That's worthy of a yellow, and he should be shown red for two yellows.(he had gotten one just earlier)

I agree yellow, but he hadn't gotten a yellow earlier in that match and that was his first appearance all season. You can see from the replay that he tried to stop himself from hitting the Fire guy. He stuck out a foot to get the ball, and he tried to pull back but the Fire guy tripped over it before he could. I don't see anything intentional in that play. (At least, the biased City fan doesn't - it's also likely Im just not seeing something)

ExJworW.png

Pulisic keeps proving that he isn't a special player just because he's being compared to other American players, but he is in fact a special player because he's a world-class talent. I still can't believe he's just 18 years old. Unreal.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

16 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

What's the latest on NYCFC and New England's search of new stadium sites?

Nothing.  

I can't speak for New England, but I doubt you will hear anything from NYCFC until they're ready for the official announcement. Everything that can be done quietly through holding companies will. 

I suspect we won't hear anything until we get invitations to the groundbreaking. 

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

San Diego Mayor Faulconer Exercises Veto to Restore Funding for Special Election

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer has restored funding for a special election in 2017.

That said, while the mayor has found the money to pay for a 2017 special election, he will need the votes of five San Diego City Council members in order to schedule it. Based upon last week's City Council vote, as well as public statements made by Council members since that time, Faulconer would appear to have just four votes. He is going to need to flip the vote of one of the five Council members who oppose the idea.

The San Diego City Council will vote on two items this coming Monday, June 12th. The first would call a special election for November 7, 2017. The second would place Mayor Faulconer's hotel tax and convention center expansion measure on the ballot of that special election. By rule, the City Council must first vote on whether to schedule the special election. After they've done so, they can then engage in a vote regarding whether to place the hotel tax and convention center expansion measure on the ballot of said special election.

If, on Monday night, Mayor Faulconer cannot successfully flip the vote of at least one of the five Council members who oppose the idea of a 2017 special election, a vote on his hotel tax and convention center expansion would be academic. At most, the Council could vote to send the measure back to staff, with staff deciding at a later date to place the issue on the ballot in 2018.

A vote by the City Council on how to proceed with the SoccerCity development is not scheduled to be taken until Monday, June 19th. By then, the issue of whether a special election will be held in San Diego in 2017 will have been decided. Since the SoccerCity measure qualified for the ballot through a citizen initiative, if the City Council has decided not to schedule a 2017 special election, Council will have one of two choices: approve the project outright, or schedule its fate for a city election in either June or November of 2018.

So, why might one of the Councilors opposed to either a special election, the SoccerCity development, or both decide to flip his/her vote?

Since the City Council's rejection of the idea of a special election last Monday night, an independent, third party appraisal of the city-owned land upon which the SoccerCity development would be built has set the value of the real estate at $110 million. The SoccerCity initiative requires FS Investors -the group behind the development - to pay what the mayor determines to be the fair market value for the land as determined by an independent appraisal. FS Investors has said that they want to buy 79 acres of the Qualcomm Stadium site and lease the rest, with the group willing to pay 10% of the fair market value for the land it leases. Even if the City of San Diego were to subtract the cost of any public improvements that FS Investors were to make to the site from their yearly lease payments, the $110 million appraisal would seem to indicate that the city would receive a significant amount of money from the sale and leasing of the site to FS Investors. Given that the San Diego City Council is staring at a projected $36.9 million deficit in 2018 and a $20.7 million deficit in 2019, the prospect of the Qualcomm site generating real revenue based upon a $110 million appraisal could be tempting. After all, Councilor Myrtle Cole - who staunchly opposed the idea of approving a special election in the vote taken last Monday night - was once on-board with the idea of leasing the Qualcomm Stadium land to the San Diego Chargers for $1 a year. 

Now, whether FS Investors will be as gung-ho about the deal since the land has been appraised at $110 million remains to be seen. Perhaps, they'll now feel that the deal no longer pencils out for them.

In any event, stay tuned. 

somewhat off topic...

It's been my understanding that the ownership of New York Red Bull did not allow American football to be played at Red Bull Arena. Not sure if that's true, just what I was told years ago and nobody has said it was false since. Anyways, I check my channel guide and see there's a rugby game (USA vs Ireland) being played at Red Bull Arena. The part of me that believes NYRB does not allow football to be played in their stadium is confused. You'd think a rugby game would do just as much damage to natural grass as a football game. If they're willing to let rugby be played on their pitch, why not American football?

Does anybody know the truth of the situation?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

somewhat off topic...

It's been my understanding that the ownership of New York Red Bull did not allow American football to be played at Red Bull Arena. Not sure if that's true, just what I was told years ago and nobody has said it was false since. Anyways, I check my channel guide and see there's a rugby game (USA vs Ireland) being played at Red Bull Arena. The part of me that believes NYRB does not allow football to be played in their stadium is confused. You'd think a rugby game would do just as much damage to natural grass as a football game. If they're willing to let rugby be played on their pitch, why not American football?

Does anybody know the truth of the situation?

American football has 22 players on the field, plus officials.  That's not the problem.  The problem is the sidelines, where the other players, coaches, and others are.  Some stadia put down tarps or other coverings for sidelines, but it still gets chewed up.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

5 hours ago, Needschat said:

American football has 22 players on the field, plus officials.  That's not the problem.  The problem is the sidelines, where the other players, coaches, and others are.  Some stadia put down tarps or other coverings for sidelines, but it still gets chewed up.  

That and the line markings. Rugby is rather unobtrusive compared to soccer lines. Plus, even with collegiate hash marks, the center of the field will get chewed up by the linemen.

Archived