North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Does anybody know what was the fastest amount of time a professional sports arena/stadium was built from the start of construction to it's first event? Gotta be honest there's something unsettling to me about DC United's new stadium being built in under 2 years.

Depends on the number of people and equipment used. And scope of the project.

Columbus Crew Stadium broke ground on August 14, 1998 and their home opener was on May 15, 1999. A span of 9 months. Sure, most new MLS stadiums are much more 'comprehensive' than the bare-bones Crew Stadium, but it's not unusual. Even the much larger and much more complicated U.S. Bank Stadium saw the demolition of the Metrodome between late December, 2013, and mid-April 2014, and the U.S. Bank Stadium was completed by July, 2016. That was for a 67k seat fully domed stadium in at least three tiers.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hadn't heard of a possible new sponsor for Columbus but saw these on MLSoccer.com. I know part of the ownership's plans are finding a bigger sponsor and this is only preseason, but since this jersey has been in use for 2 years there shouldn't be a sponsorless kit floating around.

ATLvsCLB.png

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Hadn't heard of a possible new sponsor for Columbus but saw these on MLSoccer.com. I know part of the ownership's plans are finding a bigger sponsor and this is only preseason, but since this jersey has been in use for 2 years there shouldn't be a sponsorless kit floating around.

ATLvsCLB.png

Are my eyes just tricking me, or does #10 not have a NOB?

ExJworW.png

37 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Are my eyes just tricking me, or does #10 not have a NOB?

It’s not that uncommon a practice in pre-season matches before a team's squad numbers are finalised - players will just wear numbered shirts devoid of a name, usually the starters will be in traditional 1-11.

• 2 weeks later...

MLS rosters are out for 2017 -

New York City has bought out Mix Diskerud, which means they only have one player left from the first game's starting eleven.  

C57emX8WYAE3bOu.jpg

There's the league's reigning MVP, and everybody else is gone.  Talk about feast or famine. 

https://twitter.com/nycfcnation/status/837351341664186368

So you MLS experts....give me a crash course on what I should expect of the 2017 MLS season, as well as your assessment on Atlanta United and their chances of contending this season.  I like soccer, but I'm not one would call an expert on the players in this league.

My gut says "Expansion team, gonna struggle, and the MLS loves themselves some ties".

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

So you MLS experts....give me a crash course on what I should expect of the 2017 MLS season, as well as your assessment on Atlanta United and their chances of contending this season.  I like soccer, but I'm not one would call an expert on the players in this league.

My gut says "Expansion team, gonna struggle, and the MLS loves themselves some ties".

Well, for me, this season is another brick in the Bradley-Jozy-SeBas chapter which hopefully earns at least 1 title before it ends.

I'd be lying if I said I cared much for anything else beyond TFC's results, streaks, & health. I'll be letdown if they do not make the semi finals. 

The rest are just visiting.  Having said that, I hope MLS has a good year.  It's becoming a fun league to wrap the brain around.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

11 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Contending in their first season?  I think it's a long shot.  The playoffs are big enough that they might be able to sneak in, but I think the days where a new team can come in and win the league are pretty much over.  

Jeb Brovsky, who was part of NYCFC's first roster, wrote a piece on expansion years for Howler:

https://whatahowler.com/mls-expansion-seasons-the-revolving-door-of-hope-and-instability-f9b5bde0d069#.743clj3l3

You may be able to make more noise in the Open Cup.  Most MLS teams still consider that a secondary competition. 

Brovsky is an expansion expert, he was on the first year teams for Vancouver and Montreal too!

Also, Whitecaps are off to the CCL quarterfinals against TIgres courtesy of their 16 year old prodigy Alphonso Davies, who spent the day of the game preparing by, being in high school, as you do. 

Really looking forward to see what traveling fan support Minnesota United gets here in Portland tonight.I know the Timbers Army invited the Dark Clouds out to its start-to-the-season celebration last night, though I was unable to check it out.

There's a remarkable amount of green and gold out today. Excited for this match.  

That reminds me of when Carolina would explain the rules of hockey when the Hurricanes began playing.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Am I the only one that's more interesting in seeing Bobby Dodd Stadium in soccer mode than seeing the new Orlando City Stadium?

You're probably the only one. I like it when new places are built for the soccer teams, and what Orlando has... that's quite a beauty.

Archived