North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zlatan to the Galaxy?

Multiple sources say that the LA Galaxy have recently extended an offer to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, one that would bring him to the club this summer and pay him what would easily be the highest salary in MLS history.

Ibrahimovic is 35 years old, but he has been fantastic for Manchester United this season, scoring 26 goals in all competitions. Ibrahimovic’s United contract runs out at the end of this season, so it would be a free transfer, but there’s a possibility he could extend for up to two more seasons with the club.

Watching Manchester United get into a bidding war with LA over Ibrahimovic would be fascinating, and sources say that LA thinks it has a realistic shot of landing him. LA did have discussions with Ibrahimovic last year before he ended up signing with the United, and his manager, Jose Mourinho, is on record recently saying that he sees Ibrahimovic, who scored the winning goals in the Community Shield and League Cup final, remaining at Old Trafford.

That would be awesome. I hope it happens.

Shouldn't Bastion Schweinsteiger be in MLS now? I thought I remembered him being linked to the Chicago Fire?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Officially announced that due to CONCACAF CL scheduling changes & whatnot, TFC will either retain their qualification by winning the CSA title this summer, or play the otherwise winner in a 1 game playoff to decide for 2018.  
CL used to be from August to April, now it's being compacted to February to May.  2016's qualification became logjammed with 2017's because it's not in effect until 2018.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

14 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Officially announced that due to CONCACAF CL scheduling changes & whatnot, TFC will either retain their qualification by winning the CSA title this summer, or play the otherwise winner in a 1 game playoff to decide for 2018.  
CL used to be from August to April, now it's being compacted to February to May.  2016's qualification became logjammed with 2017's because it's not in effect until 2018.

Kind of silly, but I get that they are just reacting to the CL changes.

Really happy to hear that next year they are planning on expanding the Canadian Championship to include League1 and the Quebec Premiere League 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

watching the minnesota atlanta game, and i've gotta say. i want more of these, and wish tht MLS would go to the FIFA calendar so i could see more snow games.

I don't. When these occur once in a while they're neat. When 1/3 of the games could look like that, the fans won't be as stoked to go see that every week. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Yeah that game looked awful to be at. Why would anyone willingly want to play in that?

Well, I was at this game. They actually had to stop it once during each half to blow snow off some of the pitch markings, and spent all of halftime doing the same. They apparently didn't add any of that time onto the stoppage time, though considering how the game turned out, it was just as well. FWIW, the announced attendance was just above 35K.

The next game in Minnesota is on April Fools' Day, but snow in April isn't uncommon in Minnesota, so this might not be just a one-time thing.

Oh, and one more bit of Loons news: The stadium being built in St. Paul has a sponsor now.

CCSLC signature.png

On 3/10/2017 at 3:34 PM, bosrs1 said:

Pansies. It's just a little below freezing gusting win. Man up and play.

The wind chill was at or below zero all day on Saturday, and Gillette Stadium is infamously colder than its surrounding environs due to wind and shade patterns. Literally nothing is gained by playing through that weather except tough-guy points for super hardcore ultras

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

The wind chill was at or below zero all day on Saturday, and Gillette Stadium is infamously colder than its surrounding environs due to wind and shade patterns. Literally nothing is gained by playing through that weather except tough-guy points for super hardcore ultras

I was being facetious. Still, that game was a great example of why the US will never go to the Euro winter schedule for soccer. Can you imagine how many of those freezing games NE, Chicago, Toronto, etc... would have to play during a winter schedule?

Exactly.

Much of Europe doesn't have the same weather patterns we do, making a winter schedule more reasonable. And in Scandinavia, where they do, clubs play a summer schedule.  

I understand why so many people want us to play on a standard European schedule.  I'm usually in favor of things that bring us in line with the rest of the world, and vehemently opposed to any attempt to "Americanize" soccer.  But reality is what it is.  

And a "winter break" that would have to span three months? I'm a little surprised that New England and Minnesota had home openers in week 2 -- feel like NE at least usually waits til week 3, just in case. Two years ago there was a brutally cold home opener, though even that wasn't as bad as this past weekend. (Incidentally that game was a dull 0-0 draw, what a surprise.) I do think MLS needs to do something about playoff scheduling due to length and TV congestion, but an August-to-May schedule strikes me as ignorant for a host of reasons. (Plus, who has ever gone to an MLS game on a lovely Saturday night in summer and thought this is a bad idea?)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived