North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They say sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. If you're a sports fan in the general area of Orlando, you learn pretty early on that you lose some much more than you win some ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ExJworW.png

On 4/30/2017 at 5:44 PM, Gothamite said:

It's allowed - San Jose was the first to incorporate safe standing on a limited basis. Orlando has instituted it for their entire supporters section, which I expect to see on all new soccer stadiums going forward. 

Minnesota's new stadium will have it too. (As a side note, it turns out they have not officially announced the stadium sponsor yet - it's been reported as Allianz but apparently they're waiting for all the paperwork and approvals to go through first.)

As for their game today, I'm not sure who should have gotten Man of the Match - Miguel Ibarra for setting up both goals (both on crosses from the right of goal) or goalie Bobby Shuttleworth for keeping the Loons' sheet clean despite playing most of the second half with a broken nose.

On the other hand, I'm still not quite sure what Peter Vermes was thinking not starting Graham Zusi. Igor Juliao got the start in his place and Ibarra ate his lunch, to the tune of those two goals he set up.

CCSLC signature.png

Is Miami included in the next round of expansion or no?

Last I read, it's four open spots and it seems weird to allocate two to Florida (Miami and Tampa, though I know the latter isn't confirmed).

I'd like to see St. Louis and Detroit, though the St. Louis team can't seem to get out of its own way. San Diego all of a sudden seems like a shoe-in and Sacramento deserves to be rewarded for its hard work.

Someone is going to lose that shouldn't, whether that's Cincinnati, North Carolina, one of the Florida or one of the California teams.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I can easily see it being two new teams in California and two in Florida.   Wouldn't be a very sexy expansion round, but could still be a very smart one.  If that happens, I might expect MLS to simultaneously announce the timetable for the next round of expansion, which I know they don't intend to do right now.

St Louis is dead.  Their billionaire doesn't want to spend his own money, so their bid is finished.

Miami is guaranteed in if they can put a plan together.  Financing has been the problem, but it would appear that they've addressed that.  So we're likely looking at three spots out of the eleven remaining suitors.

On 5/5/2017 at 6:19 AM, Gothamite said:

I think the Canadian cities are pretty much off the table if the Canadian Premier League gets going.  But you're right - there are a lot of potential American cities that could join MLS in the future.  

https://www.thescore.com/news/1295981

It's happening. I'm excited.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On May 8, 2017 at 3:19 PM, mr.negative15 said:

https://www.thescore.com/news/1295981

It's happening. I'm excited.

Long time coming and happening pretty fast. I know the CFL, or most of the CFL, is behind this with the Blue Bombers and Tiger-Cats involved. The usual suspects, as far as cities goes, are mentioned but it makes ask a few questions. Where does the current CSL and PCSL fall into the plans (if at all). Also, would they be open to possible clubs from say...Detroit and Buffalo to join the league (kind of like Welsh clubs in the EPL). 

Exciting news indeed. Now, all they need is some cities to commit and for their logos not to suck and this could very well be the birth of something great for Canada and CONCACAF in general.

20 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Where does the current CSL and PCSL fall into the plans (if at all). Also, would they be open to possible clubs from say...Detroit and Buffalo to join the league (kind of like Welsh clubs in the EPL). 

The CSL is not a FIFA sanctioned league, so they really don't fit into the equation at all.

I would think that the PCSL, League1 Ontario and, PLSQ would remain viewed as 3rd tier leagues. 

I would assume that Detroit and Buffalo would be more inclined to join the USL but who knows? If something like that were to happen I think it would be a few years down the road, not in the immediate future. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

9 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

The CSL is not a FIFA sanctioned league, so they really don't fit into the equation at all.

I would think that the PCSL, League1 Ontario and, PLSQ would remain viewed as 3rd tier leagues. 

I would assume that Detroit and Buffalo would be more inclined to join the USL but who knows? If something like that were to happen I think it would be a few years down the road, not in the immediate future. 

Depends on the finances. But, USL is seen as the MLS 'reserve league' to many. The rare success of a FC Cincinnati or Sacramento Republic FC is overwhelmed by the number of "MLS TEAM #2" clubs they have. Going to the Canadian league might actually be beneficial for an optics point of view as being the 'top league' in Canada even if the biggest three teams aren't in it.

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

USL is seen as the MLS 'reserve league' to many.

To some fans, maybe.  But there's little evidence that owners see it that way.  

There are two D2 leagues, and of the two the USL is the more stable, offers more institutional support for its member clubs, and looks to be better positioned to retain that status. All the while the NASL is still inching back from the brink of bankruptcy.   I can see where the USL might be attractive to ownership groups. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

To some fans, maybe.  But there's little evidence that owners see it that way.  

There are two D2 leagues, and of the two the USL is the more stable, offers more institutional support for its member clubs, and looks to be better positioned to retain that status. All the while the NASL is still inching back from the brink of bankruptcy.   I can see where the USL might be attractive to ownership groups. 

Yes, the NASL is a dumpster fire right now and probably not long for the world. Thanks to the MLS involvement, USL is in great shape.

But, when you have teams like "Seattle Sounders 2", "New York Red Bulls II, etc, it's hard not to just see it as a reserve league with some independents peppered in. Even if the '2' teams aren't the majority. Just the fact you're going to see them on the schedule takes away a bit of the appeal.

Now, what the USL COULD be is a waiting room for future MLS expansion teams. Want a team? Field a USL team, get a fan base while you get your stadium plans in order, submit your application, and if your stadium is approved and your fanbase has shown strength, you'd get a team. I think if not for USL, the idea of Cincinnati in MLS would have been nothing but pure imagination by the most far-fetched believers of soccer in Cincinnati. But, they got a team, drew tremendously well, and now are all but a shoe-in to MLS. Even without the possibility of a stadium they control.

4 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Yes, the NASL is a dumpster fire right now and probably not long for the world. Thanks to the MLS involvement, USL is in great shape.

But, when you have teams like "Seattle Sounders 2", "New York Red Bulls II, etc, it's hard not to just see it as a reserve league with some independents peppered in. Even if the '2' teams aren't the majority. Just the fact you're going to see them on the schedule takes away a bit of the appeal.

The likelihood, from what I've been hearing, is that there will be 2 USL leagues. 

Before I continue, let me say that I have not heard anything official at this point. I've heard from someone pretty well connected (more so in the Canadian side of things)  about this. Let me also say i'm not 100% certain if this is something USL hopes will happen or if this is something they are actively asking the USSF to sanction.

Anyways, the idea is to have a USL league that is division 2 with teams like Indy 11 and FC Cincinnati (aka no affiliation) and a USL division 3 league where the MLS affiliates play. 

25 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

The likelihood, from what I've been hearing, is that there will be 2 USL leagues. 

Before I continue, let me say that I have not heard anything official at this point. I've heard from someone pretty well connected (more so in the Canadian side of things)  about this. Let me also say i'm not 100% certain if this is something USL hopes will happen or if this is something they are actively asking the USSF to sanction.

The USL D3 has already been announced.  From the league's site:

USL to Launch Third-Division League in 2019

By USLSoccer.com Staff, 04/02/17, 10:31AM EDT

PROFESSIONAL SOCCER EXPANDING TO NEW MARKETS AND FANS THROUGHOUT THE U.S.

TAMPA, Fla. – Shaping the future of the game in the U.S., the United Soccer League (USL) – the largest Division II league in the world and longest standing member of the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) – today announces plans to launch a third-division men’s professional league, uniting passionate fans in new markets with the thrill of a proven professional soccer experience. The new league will begin play in 2019.

The USL’s sophisticated and established model will entertain new markets and fans with an unforgettable professional soccer experience while cultivating the increasing demand for the sport – targeting communities ranging in population from 150,000 to one million. More than 75 million people in these U.S. markets do not have access to a local professional soccer club. The new third-division league will also create exciting opportunities to showcase homegrown talent alongside experienced players from across the globe.

The league will focus on launching new third-division clubs in markets that possess strong local ownership groups, populations with broad-based diversity, a vibrant millennial and strong family base, established corporate support, and stadiums to properly showcase the sport for fans, partners and the public.

“We are in a unique position to lead the sport’s next phase of growth with a proven and exciting competition model, the same which has made the USL the top Division II league in North America,” said CEO Alec Papadakis. “With elite competition and strong ownership groups providing unrivaled fan experiences, the USL will continue shaping the future of professional soccer through a third-division league, cultivating and bonding local supporters through the ‘beautiful game’ for generations to come.”

Plans for the third-division league have been in development for more than 18 months, and market discussions are well underway with numerous potential owners who have extensive experience in MiLB and other professional sports leagues. Official branding for the new Division III league, as well as inaugural teams and preliminary competition format will be announced in the summer of 2017.

The new league will immediately benefit from several new USL initiatives, including the recently launched USL Productions, the league’s $10 million broadcast and content arm featuring a cutting-edge broadcast and production facility in South Florida.  Developed in partnership with industry leader VISTA Worldlink, USL Productions provides all USL clubs with first class broadcast services, more than 1,000 hours of engaging original content, and unequaled production capabilities and distribution throughout the U.S. and abroad. 

The new third-division league will be operated with the same high level of sophistication and operational expertise that has built the USL into a widely successful and respected league. Based in Tampa, Fla., the USL supports its clubs through a dedicated staff of over 50 executives in vital business areas including: Broadcasting, Sponsorship, Communications, Competition, League Operations, Merchandise Licensing, Team Services and more.

Now, what we don't yet know is what clubs will be in D2 and which will be in D3.  They haven't made that announcement.

25 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Anyways, the idea is to have a USL league that is division 2 with teams like Indy 11 and FC Cincinnati (aka no affiliation) and a USL division 3 league where the MLS affiliates play. 

Indy 11 isn't in USL.

But although some fans have assumed that the "2" teams will all be relegated down to D3, we have no facts to support that.  I'm personally pretty sure, though, that even if reserve teams are sent down, the affiliated clubs will stay in D2.  

5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Now, what the USL COULD be is a waiting room for future MLS expansion teams. Want a team? Field a USL team, get a fan base while you get your stadium plans in order, submit your application, and if your stadium is approved and your fanbase has shown strength, you'd get a team. I think if not for USL, the idea of Cincinnati in MLS would have been nothing but pure imagination by the most far-fetched believers of soccer in Cincinnati. But, they got a team, drew tremendously well, and now are all but a shoe-in to MLS. Even without the possibility of a stadium they control.

No.  Cincy will not get into MLS without a shovel-ready stadium plan.  Not their current college stadium, but one they control.  That's how MLS works now, it's central to their business model.  And too many other bids are shovel-ready or will be by the deadline.

Now, FC Cincinnati does have a plan.  They just haven't made it public.  And they have until the end of the year to tie up all loose ends, which I'm sure they're working on now.  But if they can't get it together and if they can't close the deal, they're not joining MLS this round.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The USL D3 has already been announced.  From the league's site:

Now, what we don't yet know is what clubs will be in D2 and which will be in D3.  They haven't made that announcement.

Indy 11 isn't in USL.

But although some fans have assumed that the "2" teams will all be relegated down to D3, we have no facts to support that.  I'm personally pretty sure, though, that even if reserve teams are sent down, the affiliated clubs will stay in D2.  

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. I missed that (clearly).

Yup...Indy 11 isn't, that wasn't my smartest moment but you get what I mean.

I would guess the same, that the affiliated clubs would "stay up" and the "2" teams would go to division 3. Seems to make the most sense. Of course you know what they say about assuming......

Archived