North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

Per MLSsoccer.com, the All-Star game was viewed by 2.1 million viewers in North America (9.2 for MLB, NBA 7.8 million, 1.6 rating for NHL (so...1.5-2 million?), -- all US though). Here's the breakout by source:

• Univision/UDN (USA): 1,484,000
  • FS1 (USA): 420,000
  • TSN (Canada): 97,000
  • TVA Sports (Canada): 96,000

What obviously stands out there is the strength of the Spanish-language audience. And, while I'm no genius, it seems like MLS is missing an amazing opportunity for more LigaMX crossover. Yes, there's CONCACAF Champions League, but why not also a Europa-style tournament between MLS and LigaMX teams, potentially broadcast exclusively on Univision?

Or, to go even crazier, merge the leagues. Do pro/rel between LigaMX and MLS. There's 40-ish teams between the two of them, and it's not like the travel would be so impossible. It also keeps new MLS owners in the "major league;" it'll just depend on which one.

I don't know. There's tons of reason for it not to work, but could you imagine a league (or even just a tournament) in the next 10 years that features, say, Toronto, America, Santos Laguna, Seattle, LAFC, NYCFC and Puebla? That could be something.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer my own question, I'm an idiot: https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/06/08/mls-liga-mx-superliga-competition

MLS and Mexico’s Liga MX are nearing an announcement of new competitive games against each other, multiple sources tell SI.com and Fox Sports TV.

One new annual tournament would involve potentially four teams from each league in a competition that would be like the Superliga tournament that took place between the two leagues a decade ago.

Another new annual game that’s set to be announced is a showdown between the MLS Cup champion and a Liga MX champion. Sources say there’s a small chance these games could start later this year, but it’s much more likely that they’ll begin in 2018.

I wasn't paying attention the first go-round. How was it?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Besides, "organic" is my most-hated word and should never be applied to a soccer discussion. :D 

This, a million times. Reminds me too much of seeing some twitter goobs getting upset that fans were being referred to as customers because they're actually supporters. Some people take themselves way too seriously. 

39 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

To answer my own question, I'm an idiot: https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/06/08/mls-liga-mx-superliga-competition

I wasn't paying attention the first go-round. How was it?

No one else was either, that's why they shelved it. It seemed to only be a way to get bigger MLS and Liga MX teams together when they didn't qualify for CCL or Libertadores.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Per MLSsoccer.com, the All-Star game was viewed by 2.1 million viewers in North America (9.2 for MLB, NBA 7.8 million, 1.6 rating for NHL (so...1.5-2 million?), -- all US though). Here's the breakout by source:

• Univision/UDN (USA): 1,484,000
  • FS1 (USA): 420,000
  • TSN (Canada): 97,000
  • TVA Sports (Canada): 96,000

What obviously stands out there is the strength of the Spanish-language audience.

Remember who the opponent was.

7 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Remember who the opponent was.

Yeah, I was gonna say, were these numbers due to it being a MLS product or a Spanish-based team?

I sort of get why MLS does this, but they should be a strong-enough entity (especially since the established fans think the league is doing well and will only get better) to have only MLS players in the All-Star Game.

41 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, I was gonna say, were these numbers due to it being a MLS product or a Spanish-based team?

I sort of get why MLS does this, but they should be a strong-enough entity (especially since the established fans think the league is doing well and will only get better) to have only MLS players in the All-Star Game.

Oh it was clearly because of Real. And would have been the same for Barcelona. Maybe America too. Who knows. It's a good rating, but not really comparable to other sports in the US.

My biggest point, if I have one, is that MLS has a potentjal advantage in the Mexican market if they work at it. And they've got a different kind of in than, say, the NBA.

On 8/4/2017 at 5:37 PM, Buc said:

I don't know how many of y'all are aware (or care :P), but apparently all the talk and huff-puff--mostly of our Mayor, Megan Barry--of bringing MLS into Music City has reached the ear of Commissioner Don Garber.

Mayor Barry has been on this one for a while, now, aided by the chairman of whats now Nashville SC (formerly Nashville FC while in the NPSL; the soon-to-be USL side bought and absorbed the identity from the latter recently), and now that, somehow, Nashville landed on the list of 10 finalists for future MLS clubs, they're really trying to push for this thing. All this without a stadium or site, although they're pitching the fairgrounds in town as a potential site (which while being physically maybe 4 miles outside downtown, really ain't the easiest spot to get to).

I'm not really wild about this--but that's because this city has larger problems than trying to secure an MLS side. (Of course, I'm also of the opinion MLS really needs to cool it with the  Oprah-esque expansion ambitions and let this game grow organically at the lower levels and get the overall quality of play on the pitch up first, but that's just me.)

I know there's a preference for soccer-only stadiums, but... I was in Nashville last weekend for the Man City v Spurs friendly and thought that Nissan Stadium was a great venue. I don't see why a Nashville team couldn't call that home, at least in the short term.  

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

12 minutes ago, winters in buffalo said:

I know there's a preference for soccer-only stadiums, but... I was in Nashville last weekend for the Man City v Spurs friendly and thought that Nissan Stadium was a great venue. I don't see why a Nashville team couldn't call that home, at least in the short term.  

Is it that MLS wants SSS? Or do they want to team owner to also own the stadium?

44 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Is it that MLS wants SSS? Or do they want to team owner to also own the stadium?

SSS is infinitely preferable.  But control over the stadium is non-negotiable. 

The MLS business model requires clubs to control their own stadiums.  That can mean a shared stadium, so long as the controlling entity is in the MLS ownership group (Seattle, New England, New York City). 

Nissan Stadium might be a fine temp venue, but unless they get Bud's kids in the ownership group Nashville will need a permanent stadium solution in place before they can join MLS. 

Is there any benefit to the other team owners for a team to switch to an SSS? Why isn't there more pressure from the league for Kraft to get out of Gillette?

I'm sure there are owners who would prefer that the Revs move out of Foxborough, I don't think there's any particular pressure there.  And really, why should there be?  No doubt attendance would be somewhat better in Boston itself, but revenues are good in Foxborough, which is also important.

I guess I'm speaking more to the fact that the Revolution feel invisible to me as an MLS fan. On the rare chance I see them on TV, the games look terrible because the stadium is way too big for the team. Along with DC in RFK, it's such a juxtaposition to Orlando, Atlanta and even other teams playing in football stadiums like Seattle and Vancouver.

So MLS VAR just took away a goal from Zardes and instead gave him a yellow card.

That seems like the worst possible scenario.

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Why does ESPN use NWY as the shortened version of New York Red Bulls? At least, that's what they use for their site.

Wait, do they?  That's really stupid.  If they've got four characters, they should use NYRB. If not, then either NY or RB. 

NYCFC uses just "New York" for them.  Although I noticed they put "RB" on the scoreboard. :P 

IMG_4643.thumb.PNG.919986d8fc3b0a6aabc8ae96f8444f1b.PNGIMG_4644.thumb.PNG.5f5f2a338ceb66c5f8144464e90bbb5b.PNG

Just got back from the game - Villa could not have picked a better time for his first MLS hat trick.  What a roller-coaster. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Haven't seen it yet, but if that was the right call it can't be the worst possible scenario.  

Worst case scenario for Zardes and the Galaxy. Going from the joy of a goal, to the disappointment of having it waived off, along with grabbing a yellow. 

Just now, Gothamite said:

Wait, do they?  That's really stupid.  If they've got four characters, they should use NYRB. If not, then either NY or RB. 

Just got back from the game - Villa could not have picked a better time for his first MLS hat trick.  What a roller-coaster. 

I'd think they'd just use NYR. But it listed NWY on both their website, and on the app. 

Is NYC planning on eventually having their own stadium, or are they fine with staying at Yankee Stadium? I kind of hope they keep their weird, tiny field if they ever move on. 

Archived