North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

15 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Okay, we get it MLS. NYCFC and OC are the two 2015 expansion teams. That does not mean we are hated rivals. The only true "rival" I feel we are going to make is Miami/Tampa/Jacksonville/Ft. Lauderdale (basically whichever city gets the second Florida team) and maybe Atlanta.

How does opening against NYCFC imply they're OC's rivals in MLS's eyes?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2016 at 11:35 AM, Norva said:

MLS releases it's first weekend/home openers schedule:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/21/mls-announces-2017-home-openers-all-22-clubs-season-kicks-march-3

Seasons starts on March 3 with Minnesota United at the Portland Timbers. Orlando City opens their new stadium against NYCFC on the 5th.

The Red Bulls might not have a pretty start to the season. 

3/2 - @ Vancouver (CCL)

3/5 - @ Atlanta

3/11 - Colorado

3/14-3/16 - Tigres/Pumas if they beat Vancouver (CCL)

3/18 - @ Seattle

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

On 12/22/2016 at 6:02 PM, bosrs1 said:

How does opening against NYCFC imply they're OC's rivals in MLS's eyes?

It can be traditional to open new stadiums with games against rivals.  The Bears, Lions and Vikings did it by bringing the Packers to town when they opened their new parks. 

It doesn't always translate, though (I can't remember, the first game at the new Yankee Stadium was either against Baltimore or Cleveland, respectable old AL clubs but neither a hot rival at the time).   And in this case, I think hiring the coach we just fired does more for making us rivals than the first game in their new park or entering the league together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Missouri Governor-Elect doubles down on no state funding for St. Louis MLS stadium.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/greitens-i-have-completely-ruled-out-state-funding-for-stadiums/article_f8a545d1-be13-5239-a034-4fa4c39b1462.html

“To be very clear, I have completely ruled out state funding for stadiums,” Greitens said Monday said taking questions from journalists in Dellwood.

Hours later, the St. Louis alderman sponsoring the ballot proposal for up to $80 million in city funding for a St. Louis MLS team called the proposal’s future doubtful.

“I was hoping to get to the point where this proposal made sense for St. Louis, but I’m feeling that less and less,” 6th Ward Alderman Christine Ingrassia said by phone.

And the mayor’s office said Monday that getting a stadium built would be difficult without the state.

Better Raleigh than the outfield of a baseball stadium.

Sad to see my hometown womens soccer team leave after a championship season, but I've seen video of their games. Doesn't look like many will miss them.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

For the most part, the Flash did.  The city scheduled an event at Rhinos Stadium and the Flash were forced to find another venue.

That said, is this a wise investment since UD Soccer basically subsidizes the league?

Note that USWNT union fired their lead counsel before the new year, right as their CBA expired. For now, the team members are still going to work under the old agreement, but for how long?

http://equalizersoccer.com/2016/12/28/uswntpa-changes-legal-counsel-rich-nichols-cba-negotiations/

Archived