North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

NYCFC is having a home game moved to accommodate a Yankees rainout.  And to a venue that is three hours away in Hartford.

Good, I guess, that it took three years for a cluster of this level to happen. But what a friggin embarrassment for all involved. (On the plus side for NYCFC, maybe they can pick off some disgruntled Revs fans while they play closer to Foxboro than the Bronx.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

13 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

NYCFC is having a home game moved to accommodate a Yankees rainout.  And to a venue that is three hours away in Hartford.

They couldn't find a stadium in New York to play in?

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

They couldn't find a stadium in New York to play in?

Well lets be honest, it's gotta be at least a place that seats 25-30k.  Red Bull Arena is out (rival), CitiField is out (rival to Yankees).  That leaves Metlife, but that may cost too much to rent.

I guess Rutgers could've been an option, but maybe there were logistical issues.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I personally would have gone with either Columbia or Fordham.  Small, but preferable. 

This is an utter debacle, maddening and indefensible. 

Columbia has a home football game.

Fordham has a men's soccer game. 

15 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Well lets be honest, it's gotta be at least a place that seats 25-30k.  Red Bull Arena is out (rival), CitiField is out (rival to Yankees).  That leaves Metlife, but that may cost too much to rent.

I guess Rutgers could've been an option, but maybe there were logistical issues.

This is one time I'd have liked to see Red Bulls offer the stadium. It'd be a good test to see if both teams could ground share if in the future Yankee Stadium needs an extensive repair of some kind.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Why would a New York rivalry stop NYCFC from asking to play at Red Bull Arena?  It's not like rival NYC-area teams haven't borrowed another team's home for a game or two before (hell, the Yankees played at Shea Stadium for a couple years).

It's high time NYCFC gets their head out of their ass and actually go get their own venue instead of playing at a baseball stadium.  It already looks like crap that they play at a baseball stadium.

6 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

It's high time NYCFC gets their head out of their ass and actually go get their own venue instead of playing at a baseball stadium.  It already looks like crap that they play at a baseball stadium.

I don't doubt that they've been working on it behind the scenes. I don't even doubt that they've been working very hard on it.  Yankee Stadium has been hurting season ticket sales (although I really like it).  It's not like they're content to just stay put. 

But this... this better make them double and redouble their efforts. 

As a Fordham alum, that might've been even worse than Hartford for NYCFC. It's literally just a single block of bleachers with a mediocre artificial turf field. The concessions are a complete joke. It's pretty much a high school stadium. Not to mention that transit to Fordham's campus is not great (it's a solid 20-25 minute walk from the D train to Fordham's football stadium - I remember doing that walk all the time as a student there, and don't miss it one bit ;)). Holding a regular season MLS game at a glorified high school stadium would've made both the team and the league the butt of many jokes.

I'm not sure what a decent option for NYCFC would've been, other than rescheduling the game. If Columbia was taken up, and MetLife wasn't viable, there's virtually no other stadiums in NYC, or even Bergen/Hudson/Passaic/Essex/Westchester/Nassau County that could viably host a regular season MLS match. Obviously Citi Field won't work because of the Yankees connection, Icahn Stadium is way too small (and suffers from the same transit issues as Fordham), Hofstra and St. John's are too small, etc.

I have to say, I'm quite annoyed at both the city and the Mets for not being able to make a Flushing Meadows stadium work. The Mets refusing to fork over their parking lot just because the team is 20% owned by the Yankees is quite petty, and honestly a bad business decision on their part (better to utilize that land profitably, and build some parking garages instead, rather than having prime real estate being used in the least efficient way possible). And there's plenty of land around that area that is either owned by the City, or in a completely derelict condition (Willets Point) that is ripe for redevelopment. I think everyone - the City, the Mets, the neighborhood, etc. - wants to tear down the chop shops in Willets Point and redevelop that land, and I've always though that an NYCFC stadium would be a prime choice for that.

Nashville SC to play inaugural season at Sounds' baseball stadium .

The deal is only for 2018 at present.

Side note: that badge...not really feeling it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That's all included in the link.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Chicago Fire (with Dax McCarty and Bastian Schweinsteiger, at home, and dominating pretty much all the game stats), 1.

Minnesota United FC (without Christian Ramirez, and Miguel Ibarra as only a late sub), 2.

Finally, the Loons get their first MLS road win. Suddenly the homestretch of their season has gotten more interesting...

In related news, Ethan Finlay and Abu Danladi are becoming a potent combo - the former set up both the latter's goals tonight, and they nearly combined for a third.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived