North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I actually like that name. Gambling or desert themes usually come to mind when it comes to naming a Las Vegas sports franchise. They went with something original. At least I think it's original. Don't think there's any other teams out there called the Lights.

A quick MascotDB.com search turns up this:

LightsSearch.png.189965ed27f91340476eab0cd76609a1.png

Both basketball teams are defunct (St. Paul's existed briefly in the '50s, and Las Vegas's existed in 2007).

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other lower-division soccer news, Peter Wilt's proposed 3rd division league, the National Independent Soccer Association, announced its first set of ownership bids.

In alphabetical order: Charlotte, Chattanooga, Connecticut, Miami, Milwaukee, Omaha, Phoenix, and St. Louis.

There are others - Detroit City FC has confirmed they're looking at it - but these eight have submitted applications.   Milwaukee is, I think, a slam dunk, although this is apparently not their amateur club but rather a new group altogether.  Chattanooga is the local amateur side.

But some of these look really dicey.  Charlotte, Miami, St. Louis, and Phoenix already have higher-division clubs.  Miami is also getting an MLS franchise, which puts their D2 club in jeopardy, much less a new D3 startup.

When asked about putting teams in markets that have existing pro clubs, NISA co-founder Peter Wilt told Midfield Press, “In each case we believe that a separate, sustainable audience can be developed due to geography, demographics and/or effective business operations. Long term we recognize that our goal of promotion and relegation will result in multiple teams in the same market, so we won’t shy away from it now.”

I like Wilt a lot, but that's a really stupid thing to say.  As if you could immediately create an environment strong enough to support those multiple clubs.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Good job, Bruce.

Well, USMNT did improve by two net goals over the last time they faced the Ticos under Jurgen Klinsmann. Surely that counts for something.

Probably.

Maybe.

I think.

CCSLC signature.png

US Soccer Federation Rejects NASL's Division II Application

Wes Burdine of soccer website FiftyFive.One is reporting that the United States Soccer Federation has rejected the North American Soccer League's efforts to maintain its second division status. As a result, a number of NASL member-clubs - Indy Eleven, North Carolina FC, California United FC, and a planned expansion franchise in San Diego - are purportedly exploring the option of jumping to the United Soccer League.   

That's huge.  

When the NASL almost folded last year, it was reported that all clubs would be welcomed into the USL except for the Cosmos (bad ownership) and PRFC (travel issues). The Cosmos have a new majority owner, we'll see what that means for them now. 

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's huge.  

When the NASL almost folded last year, it was reported that all clubs would be welcomed into the USL except for the Cosmos (bad ownership) and PRFC (travel issues). The Cosmos have a new majority owner, we'll see what that means for them now. 

Well he's said he won't play at D3. And he won't play in USL. So it looks like back to the dustbin of history with the vaunted Cosmos...

54 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

He said that, but we'll see.

When push comes to shove, he may feel differently. 

Not like it will matter. Reportedly North Carolina FC, the new OC team, the new San Diego Team, and Indy 11 are all looking at jumping to USL and Edmonton is mulling the new CPL. And with San Francisco Deltas all but folded, Puerto Rico in bad shape financially, Jacksonville just off the league teat... it really only leaves Miami and the Cosmos as true believers in NASL. (with one of them afore mentioned D2 desiring). I mean I suppose the Cosmos and Miami could play each other every week... but that's not much of a league.

Sounds like a fun league, but they'll lose USSF sanction long before that.  Soccer is obviously a unique sport that has national sanction, you can't just plant a flag and say you're a league like you can with baseball or football.    

So their options will be:

1. USL;

2. Drop to 3rd Division; or

2. Fold their tent.  

We'll see, but I think the choices get less attractive as we go down the list. 

The Premier League of America is no more; the clubs have joined the United Premier Soccer League and will form the USPL's new Midwest Conference.

78526f5a-2db3-4d1d-82f4-95df7dac9310-150

I think this is a very good move.  Regional alignment will help keep travel expenses down and allow the sport to grow.

Are the field dimensions of Mercedes-Benz Stadium the same as they were at Georgia Tech? Because it looks like ATL is playing on a much bigger field now? If so, you'd think they would keep the field dimensions the same at least for the rest of this season. Seems like something you wouldn't mess with during the course of a season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I'm not sure what the dimensions are, but the field is much bigger than what they slummed on at Bobby Dodd Stadium.  And the team was constructed to succeed on a larger pitch, so why restrain yourself?

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is one impressive place.  You can get 6 slices of pizza and unlimited soda for $20.  Saw a lot of college-age kids loading up on hot dogs and popcorn and such.

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I'm not sure what the dimensions are, but the field is much bigger than what they slummed on at Bobby Dodd Stadium.  And the team was constructed to succeed on a larger pitch, so why restrain yourself?

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is one impressive place.  You can get 6 slices of pizza and unlimited soda for $20.  Saw a lot of college-age kids loading up on hot dogs and popcorn and such.

The Sounders did that in their first and second seasons. They had an all you can eat section with chicken fingers, hot dogs, pop corn, nachos and soda. It was fun watching the 13 years old in front of us seeing who could eat the most hot dogs. It's a game you can both win and lose at the same time.

I missed the ATL game live but saw the highlights. That place looks enormous. And if TFC has to go their for the playoffs, I don't know if I like their chances. But it looks like it's clearly the marquee venue in MLS now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Sounders did that in their first and second seasons. They had an all you can eat section with chicken fingers, hot dogs, pop corn, nachos and soda. It was fun watching the 13 years old in front of us seeing who could eat the most hot dogs. It's a game you can both win and lose at the same time.

I missed the ATL game live but saw the highlights. That place looks enormous. And if TFC has to go their for the playoffs, I don't know if I like their chances. But it looks like it's clearly the marquee venue in MLS now.

They're capping the attendance for 42,000 for most games.  But this Saturday, you'll want to tune in if you can.  They're going to fill the entire joint....70,000+.

Archived