North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

Congratulations are in order for Mr. Precourt, as he's somehow managed to turn every single supporters' group in MLS into Crew fans, even if just temporarily. The reaction across the league from fans has been almost unanimously negative. Fans are pissed.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Season tickets are generally contract-binding.  And teams have deadlines for STH's to renew/decline (Atlanta United's was back in mid-September).  So if you've already signed something or agreed to something, you're stuck with the tickets.

A couple things about contracts since I deal with them on a daily/weekly basis. You can't withhold information to get someone to sign a contract and then spring the new information on them. No judge would agree that it was 'bargained in good faith'. Secondly, a contract must be mutually beneficial. Neither party can control EVERYTHING and leave the other party without any benefit.

Precourt & Co could claim that the fans getting their individual game tickets is their 'benefit' and the club is free to modify anything and everything. However, tickets are a commodity. Prices rise and fall on the secondary market almost entirely based on future expectations of a team. It's hard to have worth from your tickets when the team will be gone in a year. And that FACT is sold to season ticket holders that they get the right to keep buying tickets, that they're 'first in line', etc.

If any proof can be ha that Precourt planned to move the team or even strongly considered to move it prior to putting the 2018 season tickets up for sale, any season ticket holder would have a valid case of being coerced into a contract under false pretenses.

5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

A couple things about contracts since I deal with them on a daily/weekly basis. You can't withhold information to get someone to sign a contract and then spring the new information on them. No judge would agree that it was 'bargained in good faith'. Secondly, a contract must be mutually beneficial. Neither party can control EVERYTHING and leave the other party without any benefit.

Precourt & Co could claim that the fans getting their individual game tickets is their 'benefit' and the club is free to modify anything and everything. However, tickets are a commodity. Prices rise and fall on the secondary market almost entirely based on future expectations of a team. It's hard to have worth from your tickets when the team will be gone in a year. And that FACT is sold to season ticket holders that they get the right to keep buying tickets, that they're 'first in line', etc.

If any proof can be ha that Precourt planned to move the team or even strongly considered to move it prior to putting the 2018 season tickets up for sale, any season ticket holder would have a valid case of being coerced into a contract under false pretenses.

But here's the thing....it's not like they aren't playing the 2018 season in Columbus.  Those games are still taking place.  It's not like they took their money, then said "Yeah, these games aren't being played" and not giving refunds.

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

But here's the thing....it's not like they aren't playing the 2018 season in Columbus.  Those games are still taking place.  It's not like they took their money, then said "Yeah, these games aren't being played" and not giving refunds.

The fact that he was actively seeking a new deal in Austin that would have impacted ticket sales if known, would fall under bad faith. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Image result for austin american statesman building

This is the planned area for the Austin team. The stadium would be located on the site where the arrow is pointing. It's the former Austin Statesman newspaper location. Depending on the layout parking could be a pretty big issue.  

One thing to consider. With the bats being under that bridge and other areas around Austin, what impact would that stadium have on the bats, especially if they are playing night games in the summer? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

What was their intent for 2018 when they purchased the tickets? They didn't buy tickets for 2018 because they were told it was going to be their last chance to see the Crew. They bought the tickets because they're Crew fans and they wanted to to support the team and wished to see it continue further than the year they buy the tickets for. He's been working to move the team for years which means he's been operating in :censored: faith. He repeatedly told fans the team wasn't going anywhere which means they purchased the tickets under false pretenses. The fans got duped into purchasing something different than what they thought they were buying.  

Even if it's not legally incorrect, it's not the decent thing to do. The decent move would be to take the loss and refund the tickets. It's the least this prick could do. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Wait, construction of a new SSS in Austin requires an environmental impact statement on giant flocks of bats? Did I wander into a hockey thread?

When the bats are a major tourist attraction, yes it would. There are several different locations in the immediate area where the bats come from but if the stadium and other infrastructure would cause them issues, Austinites would pick bats over soccer, 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I didn't know about this bat thing.  With that in mind, here is my rough draft of a new a crest.

bacardi_logo_2471.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

8 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The thing is, when you become a season ticket holder, you're not JUST buying seats for that season. There's usually implied and guaranteed savings for future seasons. One is the right of first refusal for playoff games, special games, and future season tickets. Some teams even grandfather in pricing for season ticket holders once you become a season ticket holder (major leagues tend not to, but minor leagues do this with regularity).

Sure, a PSL may not be required, but to buy season tickets to a stadium that doesn't sell out is sold on more than just 'make sure you get a ticket to every game'. It's in the literature provided as the sales pitch and actual documentation when you purchase.

Secondly, it's a rather well known fact that ticket buying public aren't just 'frugal consumers', they're buying tickets because they feel a sense of connection to the team they're supporting.

If you knew next year your wife was going to leave you, would you really want to stay with her for the next year?

Oh yeah, the Austin Ice Bats were a thing.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

31 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

If you knew next year your wife was going to leave you, would you really want to stay with her for the next year?

1) I did this with a girlfriend but only for two weeks

2) I am still an Oakland Raiders fan

3) stop comparing sports to wives

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

The thing is, when you become a season ticket holder, you're not JUST buying seats for that season. There's usually implied and guaranteed savings for future seasons. One is the right of first refusal for playoff games, special games, and future season tickets. Some teams even grandfather in pricing for season ticket holders once you become a season ticket holder (major leagues tend not to, but minor leagues do this with regularity).

Sure, a PSL may not be required, but to buy season tickets to a stadium that doesn't sell out is sold on more than just 'make sure you get a ticket to every game'. It's in the literature provided as the sales pitch and actual documentation when you purchase.

Secondly, it's a rather well known fact that ticket buying public aren't just 'frugal consumers', they're buying tickets because they feel a sense of connection to the team they're supporting.

I'm a STH for an MLS team.  I've got nearly 15 years of experience working for sports teams.  I know how these things work.

I'm probably the wrong guy to approach when it comes to tying emotion into sports.  I grew up seeing an autumn without a World Series.  I had just started a part-time job with the Thrashers when the NHL decided not to play a season.  And, I survived job cuts in the front office when the Thrashers got sold and relocated.  I've put emotion out of sports and just see it for what it is....a form of entertainment.  Of course I want the local teams to do well, but if they don't do well, I don't let it overtake my emotions.  Hell, when we went to the Super Bowl this past February (I think I've told this story before), I never really thought about anything long-term that many fans thought about....all I thought of it was "Great game that may go down as the best SB of all time, hella fun weekend, glad we were able to experience this before real life happens.".

And while I understand the anger portion of it, ultimately you are just purchasing tickets for a team's games.  Whatever contract/agreement there is between the team and the fan doesn't account for how much emotion you plan on investing...that's not tangible.  It's only misleading if there's contractual language that says they're definitely playing games for a given length, and teams are usually pretty smart about not guaranteeing long-term promises, such as relocations.

Now the wife is entertaining (lord have mercy is she entertaining), but that's a tangible relationship with years of growing and meshing and building trust and sharing experiences with and all that stuff.  She's not a sporting event.  I know what I'm expecting when I purchase single-game or season tickets.  There is a reason why STH's are year-to-year deals.

The Whitecaps started the day first in the west and ended third facing a knockout round match against San Jose later this week. Being home helps, but not blowing a chance to win the conference against a rival would have been better. The Cascadia teams won, showed and placed in the West, and I think we're headed for a Portland/Seattle western final.

The East doesn't matter, because this season's Toronto FC are the greatest MLS team of all time. I suspect they'll blitz their way into MLS Cup again. And, barring a major weather effect, they probably (and should) win the title. But how likely is weather to affect an MLS game played in Toronto in December?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

GD, indeed.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Fire were dead last last year.

They just finished in third overall this year and would have finished second if they hadn't lost to Houston. Plus, they've got the Golden Boot winner.

What. The. :censored:.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived