North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

34 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

You almost think it helps Tampa give the MLS a three team rivalty going with Orlando as well. But that means it won't happen.

Why do  you think that?  This is the same league that expanded to Vancouver/Portland/Seattle in rapid succession.  They value regional rivalries perhaps more than any other pro league in the country.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Why do  you think that?  This is the same league that expanded to Vancouver/Portland/Seattle in rapid succession.  They value regional rivalries perhaps more than any other pro league in the country.

Trust me, Rowdies and OC already hate eachother...and that stems from before they were MLS.

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They had a press conference at 3:30. Just need city help with infrastructure improvements. My OTR stadium probably isn't gonna happen, but privately financing the construction of the stadium is a big win.  Those infrastructure costs sound like they're going to be not insignificant, however. 

Things are getting serious, folks.

Believe me when I say this: I'm on y'alls side here. The last thing Nashville needs right now is another shiny new playhouse--especially if any kind of public $ is going into it--when there's other more serious issues issues that need to be addressed. Plus...Cincinnati really deserves more love than it gets.

(Side note: why doesn't Cincinnati get more love than it does?? Not just here in soccer but in general.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Heavily touted local foods not named Graeter's, like Gold Star or Skyline chili and Montgomery Inn ribs don't help.

A. SHUT UP. Skyline Chili is delicious and I won't apologize for it. B. Cincinnati's restaurant scene is phenomenal right now. I ate a Blue Cheese Gruyere burger at Krueger's on Saturday and I almost ordered a second one. It knocked me out. 

11 hours ago, Buc said:

Believe me when I say this: I'm on y'alls side here. The last thing Nashville needs right now is another shiny new playhouse--especially if any kind of public $ is going into it--when there's other more serious issues issues that need to be addressed. Plus...Cincinnati really deserves more love than it gets.

(Side note: why doesn't Cincinnati get more love than it does?? Not just here in soccer but in general.)

Old perceptions are hard to break and people don't visit here. Seriously, if you haven't been here in the last 5 years you no longer know Cincinnati. If you've never been now would be a good time to visit. The changes have been remarkable. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2017/11/13/greater-cincinnatis-economy-fastest-growing-midwest/840139001/ People aren't moving away after college anymore, some people who aren't from here are actually deciding to move here, things are getting built, old run down neighborhoods are coming back from the dead. The older, isolated, rube generation of native Cincinnatians is getting replaced with cultured, educated young people. It's really exciting. 

I've lived in a few cities and this is by far the easiest place I've ever lived. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Hamilton County official is my dad, evidently: "why don't they just play at Paul Brown Stadium?"

Says Paul Brown Stadium is the county's plan A and financing a parking garage for the Oakley location is their plan B. Dude's gonna blow the timing for this round of expansion while they wait for MLS to predictably say no to Paul Brown Stadium. Nitwit, we would all love it if they could play all their games at Paul Brown Stadium (or Nippert). If they could play at Paul Brown Stadium AND get an MLS bid they wouldn't be spending hundreds of millions to build their own stadium and they wouldn't be talking to you right now. Why's this hard?

If Hamilton County isn't going to help with the infrastructure improvements then it looks like Newport, KY is back, and *whispering here* it's the better site for the stadium. People with weird hangups about crossing a bridge to go to Kentucky will get over it. "But they'll call us FC Kentucky". So what, grow up, who cares. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm really rooting for Cincinnati. Those Open Cup games were a lot of fun and it feels really important to keep Ohio in the league.

And Cincinnati is great. I've visited a couple of times -- it's cheap, it's centrally located, and it felt relatively clean and safe to me. There's a lot in Kentucky that doesn't really feel like Kentucky, and only nitwits would be hung up on that. It isn't a Colorado Rapids situation where the stadium is like a year away. The Ohio River isn't that wide; you can see the other side.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 11/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, RevNet said:

Meanwhile in the NASL, first-year team San Francisco Deltas defeated the New York Cosmos 2-0 to win the NASL Championship. Here is the video of the second goal and the post-game field rush:

And a few days later, do the professional sports equivalent of "I Quit This Bitch".

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I for one would welcome a three-way battle for a Sunshine Cup (Cascadia Cup-style). And also, Rowdies is the best name in soccer.

I also want to go on record as saying that I have no opinion of Cincinnati, negative or otherwise. 

FourFourTwo has the scoop on the NWSL’s FC Kansas City folding / relocating to Salt Lake, with RSL’s owners buying the club / an expansion team.

I said this on Twitter earlier, but I’m going to roll my eyes every time from here on out that Sporting KC tries to argue that Kansas City is “Soccer City USA,” given they had a chance to keep women’s soccer in the community and, after years of talking about maybe kinda being interested in NWSL, decided to balk. Hate to see any team move or leave a market, but I’m of the opinion that the women’s game is better off with more ambitious ownership.

This takes the league to the four sides that are owned alongside MLS clubs (Houston, Orlando, Portland, Salt Lake), plus North Carolina, whose owner is also particularly committed. It will be interesting to see where the league goes, now that a majority of owners are willing to spend more.

6fQjS3M.png

North Carolina FC has officially announced that it is leaving the North American Soccer League in order to compete in the United Soccer League. NCFC will join USL in time for the 2018 season.

NCFC: Welcome to the USL

Meanwhile, the NASL's statement in response to the news promises a continuance of legal action against the United States Soccer Federation over sanctioning issues.

NASL Issues Statement Following North Carolina FC Announcement 

19 hours ago, buzzcut said:

And a few days later, do the professional sports equivalent of "I Quit This Bitch".

I wonder if these players end up in San Diego.

15 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

FourFourTwo has the scoop on the NWSL’s FC Kansas City folding / relocating to Salt Lake, with RSL’s owners buying the club / an expansion team.

I said this on Twitter earlier, but I’m going to roll my eyes every time from here on out that Sporting KC tries to argue that Kansas City is “Soccer City USA,” given they had a chance to keep women’s soccer in the community and, after years of talking about maybe kinda being interested in NWSL, decided to balk. Hate to see any team move or leave a market, but I’m of the opinion that the women’s game is better off with more ambitious ownership.

This takes the league to the four sides that are owned alongside MLS clubs (Houston, Orlando, Portland, Salt Lake), plus North Carolina, whose owner is also particularly committed. It will be interesting to see where the league goes, now that a majority of owners are willing to spend more.

I think that all MLS ownership should be more proactive in helping grow the NWSL, especially when US, Canadian and Mexican FA's are footing the bill for the top players. I also think that a womens team in San Antonio and Dallas would help the Houston Dash squad as well. Currently we have an NPSL and semi-pro team in SA. That doesn't do much for Houston. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

and thus begins the final demise of the NASL..

in the middle of all this, I happened to catch something odd in the background of NCFC's announcement...

Penn FC to Make USL Debut in 2018

Apparently the Harrisburg City Islanders have rebranded as Penn FC

PennFC-RebrandLogo_large.jpg

oh, and even further news apparently:

Atlanta United to Field USL Team in 2018 

17 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Meanwhile, the NASL's statement in response to the news promises a continuance of legal action against the United States Soccer Federation over sanctioning issues.

NASL Issues Statement Following North Carolina FC Announcement 

This league seriously needs to take a hike.  There's a reason why you're falling apart....and why a team that may not exist in 2018 won your championship.

Give up!!!!

6 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

oh, and even further news apparently:

Atlanta United to Field USL Team in 2018 

New for 2018 will be

Nashville SC

North Carolina FC

Fresno FC

Las Vegas Lights

Gwinnett (Atlanta)

New for 2019 will be

Birmingham

Memphis

Austin (big IF, pending stadium and or MLS relocation)

I really am starting to think a 3-conference USL might be in the works with a potential 37-38 teams in 2019.

1 minute ago, AstroBull21 said:

New for 2019 will be

Birmingham

Memphis

Austin (big IF, pending stadium and or MLS relocation)

Memphis?  It's not listed on the USL site, and NCFC and ATLUSL got put up there pretty darn quickly

Archived